W Braylon Shmyr - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2015 undrafted)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
A guy that has slid under the radar for much of the year and while he isn't ranked as a draftable prospect by most agencies out there this year, I still think he'll offer plenty of value down the line. He slid into the 35th spot on my personal WHL rankings for 2015, essentially considering him a late 7th round type of guy. If he goes undrafted he'll surely attend an NHL camp and have the chance to either be drafted in 2016 or 2017 or sign a contract when he's 20.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#35 Braylon Shmyr

Team: Brandon Wheat Kings
Position: LW/RW
Shoots: L
Height: 5’9
Weight: 163
GP: 65
Goals: 18
Assists: 22
Pts/Gm: 0.61
PIM: 22

Player Analysis: Braylon Shmyr is a gritty scoring winger for the Brandon Wheat Kings…despite having a bit of a rigid look to his skating he gets around well…has good acceleration even though his toes point a bit out during his stride…gets low and really pushes hard, helping generate all of his power and speed…forces defenders onto their heels with his speed off the rush and is a threat when streaking down either wing…is extremely slippery in tight spaces…he’s hard to hit…agile footwork allows him to dart around the offensive zone and create matchup issues and confusion for a defence…skating and overall mobility seemed to show fairly decent progression as the year went on…has extremely dangerous hands…can handle tough passes, carry at top speed and make plays in traffic…for a small guy he really protects the puck well thanks to his strong hands and top notch awareness…is equally strong as both a goal scorer and playmaker…owns a hard wrist shot…can get the puck up and under the bar from in tight…can receive and shoot in one fluid sequence…isn’t afraid to wire slapshots while streaking down the left wing…has the ability to finish plays around the crease…makes plenty of little subtle moves that open up shooting lanes for himself…really drives the blue ice with regularity and seems to find open space during high traffic times…excels as a passer with the ability to put pucks in spots where only his linemates can reach them…knows how to delay and buy time to create space and lanes…while he can receive and shoot in one motion he can do the same with playmaking, making him dangerous in give and goes and off the cycle…he just seems to get “itâ€â€¦smart, smart, smart…low centre of gravity allows him to be fairly firm on his skates despite being under 165 pounds…biggest strength away from the puck is his drive…has an absolutely relentless motor…will throw his limited weight around with regularity and isn’t afraid to mix it up with bigger players…possesses good stick work and makes smart pokecheck’s in the defensive zone…isn’t the strongest defensive player in his positioning but makes up for it with his drive and stick work…didn’t see him kill penalties this year but his overall hockey sense and drive makes him an ideal candidate to learn that part of the game going forward…he was a regular contributor on the powerplay…at even strength he was usually either used in top 6 scoring situations or as a right-winger on the 4th line…would likely be an everyday top 6 left-winger on almost any other WHL team but wasn’t in Brandon due to their overall depth…showed a 115% increase in offensive production when weighing his first half vs. his second half…he had 13 points in his first 33 games but finished with 27 in his next 32…scored 15 of his 18 goals at even-strength this season…those 15 even-strength goals was good enough to be T-9th among all first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards with Austin Wagner and Deven Sideroff…was selected in the 1st round, 12th overall, by the Wheat Kings in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft…two of his siblings have elite speed skating backgrounds while his younger brother was undrafted as part of this year’s WHL Bantam Draft class…overall I see him projecting as a top 9 NHL player due to his high skill level and relentless motor, given all things go well…while I’m not sure NHL teams will value him as highly as I do, due to his size, I think he has the potential to be among that rare group of sub-5’10 players to make an NHL impact…with that being said, he unfortunately gets squeezed down my list to the point where I would only consider him as roughly a 7th rounder…even if he goes undrafted this year, which is highly possible, I think he will continue to grow, improve and eventually carve out a role for himself in the pro game so teams would be smart to keep track of his progression...

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
i didnt think the hockey IQ was there to be an NHLer when i watched him in the past

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If there's a 'Tyler Johnson' in this draft who flies completely under the radar and then explodes later, it'll be Shmyr IMO.

Very talented guy, high bantam pick - has skating, puck skills, work ethic. But was buried much of the year on the deepest team in the WHL which had 9 forwards scoring 40+ points. Spent most of the first half of the season barely playing, then scored 29 points in his last 34 games when getting better opportunities, although still not much PP time.

If this guy was on a bit worse team where he got consistent top-6 minutes with regular PP time throughout the season, I suspect he'd have scored 60-70 points and we'd be talking about him as a 4th rounder or so.

As it is, I like him a lot better than guys like Sideroff and Karnaukoff who get much more hype. The two things you really look for in a small, talented player if he's going to make it are 1) skating ability and 2) compete level and he has both.

Like Joe Hicketts last year, he's a guy I really *hope* gets picked in rounds 6-7 and I'll be pretty disappointed in NHL scouts if he isn't.

Oct 30, 2011
I wouldn't mind gambling on a kid like this rather than a 6"3 coke machine that'll never amount to anything beyond the ECHL. Always draft skill, imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad