VsX similarity scores?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Not sure- like how they do it in hockey-reference, except their comparisons don't seem right. Not sure if they use adjusted numbers or how they adjust.

Hockey-reference.com's similarity scores are based on points shares. The calculation of defensive point shares are so flawed that they likely render that stat useless.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm guessing VsX Goals7 would only be one component of a similarity score. Wouldn't you include playoff VsX, assists, PIM, etc.?

All of this was done, except perhaps PIM.

@seventieslord did the playoff VsX thing a few years back, here: NHL Playoff VsX, 1918-2016

Goals 7 years VsX is in that thread: Reference - VsX comprehensive summary (1927 to 2020)

Assists too.

A few pages later there's even PPG VsX.

My point is, instead of asking for an obscurely defined stats, figure out what is it you really want to know, and then we can build a stat for it.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And FTR, I'm increasingly against trying to come up with THE magic system outputting THE magic number that will enable us to compare all players on a single scale. Not that anybody really believed this was possible, but if I'm moving in a direction at all, it is away from this.

I rather just use each tool like a surgical knife for my specific purpose, and keep all of them in mind when comparing players on a global context.

Reactions: Johnny Engine

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
It's probably an easy formula to apply ranges to each stat and more of a style comparison than anything. Not sure the utility of it for ATD, but I would find it interesting.

architecte-hockey has player style spider charts which are interesting when putting a line together, but we don't have entry/exit stuff or TOI for older players obviously.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
It's probably an easy formula to apply ranges to each stat and more of a style comparison than anything. Not sure the utility of it for ATD, but I would find it interesting.

architecte-hockey has player style spider charts which are interesting when putting a line together, but we don't have entry/exit stuff or TOI for older players obviously.
Ok, so what you're asking for has nothing to do with H-R's similarity scores then.

I don't think it would be overly difficult to graph the relationship between a player's goal-scoring and playmaking measurements, though there'd be a ton of confounding factors that would make that less useful than one would imagine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad