GDT: Vs Washington Capitals

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Deboer has really screwed the pooch when it comes to this team. Starting Lehner these past couple of games was a big mistake.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Theodore gives us extra points in the standings every year with his scoring in OT and in the shootout.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I was working overtime at the game tonight. Very entertaining and very happy with how the team fought back because they look absolutely dejected coming out on the ice in the third. What was the deal with Lehner? He was still on the bench for the whole game after. Like I mentioned in a previous GDT, Thompson should be starter going forward.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Lehner let in one goal.
He let in two and was fortunate that one was offside. That one was a 4 on 2 though so I don't blame him. The first one, though....simply moving the blocker behind your five hole to make sure the puck doesnt trickle through is what you normally see, but not from Lehner.

All in all I dont think Lehner was horrible and I was surprised he got the hook. Coaches obviously saw something they didnt like.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
One thing Deboer said in the post game presser pissed me off. Paraphrasing, he mentioned that Lehner is paid to be out there starting the most important games. I really think it is a losing mentality as a coach to even think about how much a player makes. Whether a guy makes $12m or $700k, as a coach you are supposed to put the best lineup together to win. I love Lehner but at this very moment he isn't that guy. He likely will be the right guy in the future, but now it is a slump. Logan has earned the net. The team is more confident in front of him. Be a coach, you aren't paid to think of player salaries.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
He started Lehner over Fleury in the playoffs back in 2020 despite Fleury making more money.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
He started Lehner over Fleury in the playoffs back in 2020 despite Fleury making more money.
Well $7m and $5m both well established in their careers so not really similar.

Just don't like the idea of ever looking at a player as "they are paid to perform in this situation". That is above his pay grade.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well $7m and $5m both well established in their careers so not really similar.

Just don't like the idea of ever looking at a player as "they are paid to perform in this situation". That is above his pay grade.
Yeah to me it's not about what or how much someone is paid to do something, but how well they are doing that thing.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Thompson gave up 4 bad goals against Edmonton so Lehner starting against NJ wasn't really surprising. Him starting again against the Caps after giving up 3 bad goals was. He had shown with playing Lehner over Fleury after they traded for him that he wasn't afraid of playing the new guy over the struggling starter so I thought Thompson would have been back in last night. If he doesn't start the next one Deboer should be fired on the Spott!

Deboer made some good calls last night for a change. Pulled Lehner early and put Stephenson, Stone and Patches back together after I posted about how bad Eichel and Stone were. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to be too little, too late.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Easy path! Dallas loses tomorrow and we go 4-0 and we are in
As long as the Dallas win is in regulation.

Edit: Technically 3 of the 4 need to be in regulation (including Dallas) incase Vancouver wins all 5 of their remaining games in regulation.

Last edited:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I know I'm a little biased because I don't think Lehner is a Cup-caliber goalie, but he was awful against NJD, and gave up a pathetic first goal and was way out of position on the goal that was called back. I thought it was a great move to just pull him and it changed the game. Frankly, the team just looks much more confident in front of Thompson and it showed in the third and OT.
As to the playoffs, we have to assume we beat Dallas in regulation - if we lose to them it's over. They have 91 points, we have 89, so we are essentially tied with them holding a game in hand vs. Calgary in Alberta counting a win in Dallas next week.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
As long as the Dallas win is in regulation.

Edit: Technically 3 of the 4 need to be in regulation (including Dallas) incase Vancouver wins all 5 of their remaining games in regulation.
If Vancouver and Vegas win out, and LAK loses another game in addition to the one against VAN in any fashion, And DAL loses tonight, but VGK and VAN could be in, I think.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
If Vancouver and Vegas win out, and LAK loses another game in addition to the one against VAN in any fashion, And DAL loses tonight, but VGK and VAN could be in, I think.
Basically, lots to still be decided - even in the east, where playoff placement can change daily.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I was just commenting on the first potential Vegas controls their own destiny. There are a ton of things that could happen. If Vegas wins out and Edmonton loses out Vegas goes ahead of Edmonton. Basically 98 is the magic number to eliminate Vancouver and Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad