Rumor: Voynov Close to Re-Signing

Ron*

When I read that quote (made in March), I didn't think he was "close to resigning" at all. Jesus, that's two months ago.

I think the thread title needs to be changed.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
When I read that quote (made in March), I didn't think he was "close to resigning" at all. Jesus, that's two months ago.

There were recent quotes from some silly Russian hockey exec saying that their team is going to go hard after Voynov upon July 1. I think Lombardi's quote from March is reassuring that Voynov will be signed by the Kings before that date.

Captain Mittens*

In addition to why Ziggy said, they've agreed on numbers they are going to fine tune **** after the playoffs and then go to Medieval Times

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Voynov has been great but is still learning and what's gonna hurt his value is the year Subban had so I honestly expect a 5/$22.5 mill contract 4.5 mill per maybe 4.75 at most

Sydor25

LA Kings
How many years until Voynov is UFA eligible?

After next year.

I don't believe the rules have changed in the new CBA. It's still 27 or 7 years in the NHL. Voynov is only 23 (January birthday), he has at least 3 more RFA years. I believe that he can sign a 3 year contract and will still be an RFA at the end of the contract, he would be 26 and 6 years in the NHL at the end of the contract.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I hope he signs a subban type deal. Where it doesn't pay a lot now but is short term to allow for a big pay day in a couple of years.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
If "close to resigning" means before July, then well, great.

I think they like what they see in Slava and don't want to mess around with a "bridge" contract of 2 years. I'm think more along the lines of a 4-6 yr deal in the 4-4.5 range. Guess we'll find out in less than a month.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
VV has 4 more seasons as an RFA - 2013-14, 14-15, 15-16, 16-17. Based on turning 27 on 1-15-2017 and having had completed his 7th NHL season.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
nfw - that's a massive overpayment

I agree it will likely be similar to Jack's contract, probably a little less. 7 yrs/$30M maybe.

Yah, the precedent has been set under Lombardi. Nobody is really breaking the bank, reasonable deals and he locks up their prime years. 7/30 seems right on the money, so to speak.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Lots of speculation about VV's signing here. Lots of interesting numbers too.

We will see how it shakes out in a few short weeks.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com

agreed. "close to re-signing" is usually used as imminent. There's nothing close about this re-signing. Lombardi is just saying he's going ot attack this hard, just like he did with Doughty. And we all know how that turned out.

In addition to why Ziggy said, they've agreed on numbers they are going to fine tune **** after the playoffs and then go to Medieval Times

I never heard anything about agreement on any numbers.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Isn't that more of a Lubo-type deal?

it is similar to lubo's deal, though i think lubo's deal was shorter than 8 years and maybe had a higher salary, so, maybe not, but feel free to share your info,

and regarding the lubo trade which got the kings stoll and green, wow, what a great trade that was for the kings, one of dean's best for sure,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad