Rumor: Voynov Close to Re-Signing

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Straight from the horse's mouth.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/05/30/regehrs-extension-affects-roster-decisions/#more-34031

“You’ve got to be careful at times getting too bogged down so the player can focus on playing right now,†Lombardi said in March in regards to Voynov’s contract negotiations. “But it’s safe to say I wouldn’t anticipate going to July 1st on this.â€

So what do you guys think it will be? A short term contract or a long term extension?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
i think he gets a 2-3 so he gets a cap friendly bump for now. with the intent of a long-term and higher amount to follow

Captain Mittens*

I want 2-3 year second contract, but I smell a Jack Johnson like contract.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
"said in March"

Why is it just coming out now?

(I did not read the article....)

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
They have been talking to Slava's camp about it for most of the season from what I gather. They do not seem like super aggressive negotiations and why would they be for either side?

I take the quote to mean exactly what it says, that Lombardi intends to extend Voynov before the start of free agency. Given that the interview took place 2-3 months ago (likely used as the most recent comment to address Voynov's deal), I would not say this is an indicator of anything imminent or even a significant development in the talks.

Now that I said that, they will probably sign a deal tomorrow!

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Great news but not a surprise. Dean clearly wants to form a solid nucleus and adding Slava to Doughty as your top 2 D for the foreseeable future would be just another way to cement that foundation.
I'd guess about 5 years and 5.5 or north.
He's a stud, only going to get better.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
2-3 years at 3-4 mill.

It will be a short term contract to get Slava passed this drop in cap space.

Lombardi is going to pull out all his charts ETC, explain to Slava his payday will come when the cap goes back up.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
With DL needing to lock up Brown the year after with limited funds I would guess a 2 year 6 to 7 mil total bridge contract. In 2 years RR's going to be a 6th Dman and we won't need 3 mil a year to replace him so DL can give VV a proper contract then using part of that savings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad