Voting: Best Players of the Washington Capitals 2014-2015

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
This is a voting to determine the best players of the Washington Capitals last season and their ranking versus each other. In order to participate, send me a PM with a list of the 5 players you think were the best on your team in the order you would rank them. The point system I am going to use: 5 points for every 1st place vote, 4 points for every 2nd place vote, 3 points for every 3rd place vote, 2 points for every 4th place vote and 1 point for every 5th place vote. Please put "Washington Capitals" in the "Title" field of your message. The voting is open until Saturday, August 8th. You can still send in your ballot on that day. Don't complain if I don't count your vote when you send it in on Sunday 9th or later.

Rankings posted in the thread will not be considered, PMs only.

Looking for forward to your ballots!

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Why pm though?
As for the poll, OP mentioned on the Habs board that he'd rather make it a PM thing because it takes more commitment, a poll is just that... a poll. You click the you're done with it. Makes a lot more sense.

Right. No doubt a poll would have been easier to do, but that's precisely why I did not do it. There are tons of "easy polls" one can participate here. Sometimes you got to aim for something a bit more ambitious. Demanding? Sure, but IMHO the result is worth the effort (both on part of the voters and on my part).

From the main thread.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
10 ballots for the Capitals so far, which is slightly above average among the ten teams voting right now. Philadelphia is leading with 14 ballots. Overall the best turnouts as of now have been achieved by Colorado (28), Calgary (27) and Buffalo (26).

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Not overlooked, but he's not on my ballot.
Really? The only D I'd put him behind is Carlson and that's only because 74 is our main guy, but for actual on ice play Alzner is better suited for his role (27 as #3-4 better than 74 as #1-2, my point in nutshell). That aside of course this season was spectacular for John and who knows maybe he will make the same leap as guys like Hedman and Josi did in the recent years.

If you don't count #2 guys like Shattenkirk who only plays on the second pairing because there is top-5\10 D above him at his side, Karl Alzner is one of the best second pairing D's in the league.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Really? The only D I'd put him behind is Carlson and that's only because 74 is our main guy, but for actual on ice play Alzner is better suited for his role (27 as #3-4 better than 74 as #1-2, my point in nutshell). That aside of course this season was spectacular for John and who knows maybe he will make the same leap as guys like Hedman and Josi did in the recent years.

If you don't count #2 guys like Shattenkirk who only plays on the second pairing because there is top-5\10 D above him at his side, Karl Alzner is one of the best second pairing D's in the league.

The top 3 on my list are obvious. #4 is Carlson and #5 was Ward for being the second best forward on the team in the playoffs.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
The top 3 on my list are obvious. #4 is Carlson and #5 was Ward for being the second best forward on the team in the playoffs.
Well, that logic I can sorta agree with as long as you have Alzner as second D guy. ;)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The #5 spot was the hardest decision for me. I debated between Kuz, Alzner, and Ward and I ended up giving it to Kuznetsov because of his rise in the playoffs.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Yeah, Alzner definitely would have made my list were it more than 5. He's definitely up there, but I had to go with Carlson as the top D-man. Him (because I did want a D-man in my list) and my top 3 were pretty easy, but coming up with that 5th spot was hard because I can find a lot of positive in so many of the players.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Voting Results

Thanks to all those who have voted. Here are the results. Players who appeared on one ballot only omitted.

Player | Points | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | Ballots
Alexander Ovechkin| 69 |13|1|0|0|0|14/14
Braden Holtby| 54 |1|11|1|1|0|14/14
Nicklas Bäckström| 35 |0|2|7|3|0|12/14
John Carlson| 28 |0|0|4|6|4|14/14
Brooks Orpik| 8 |0|0|1|2|1|4/14
Karl Alzner| 6 |0|0|1|0|3|4/14
Yevgeni Kuznetsov| 4 |0|0|0|1|2|3/14
Joel Ward| 3 |0|0|0|1|1|2/14
Matt Niskanen| 2 |0|0|0|0|2|2/14

The voting results for all 30 teams can be found in one place at the main board now.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
My ballot:

Alexander Ovechkin
Braden Holtby
John Carlson
Nicklas Bäckström
Karl Alzner

Backs out of top-5? And I thought I was low on him...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So we had 2 people not have NB in the top 5? I would love to hear an explanation for that.

My ballot:

Alexander Ovechkin
Braden Holtby
John Carlson
Nicklas Bäckström
Karl Alzner

Backs out of top-5? And I thought I was low on him...

Yeah that's BS. Nick is easily our 3rd best player, if not 2nd.

My ballot:

Alex Ovechkin
Braden Holtby
Nicklas Bäckström
John Carlson
Joel Ward

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I want to say that I am NOT the person who gave Holts the first-place vote (shocking, I know). I'm also shocked that anyone, let alone TWO PEOPLE, didn't have Nicky in their top five!?!? WHOAH! What?!?!?

Anyhoo, my ballot:

1. Alex Ovechkin
2. Braden Holtby
3. Nicklas Bäckström
4. Evgeny Kuznetsov
5. John Carlson

I have to say that I am quite pleased to see that Holtby did so well. Aww.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

I think Orpik was better than Alzner last year by a pretty good margin.

I had

Ovechkin
Holtby
Backstrom
Carlson
Orpik

The top 4 were easy to choose. Certainly there are guys who have an argument over Orpik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad