Voting: Best Players of the San Jose Sharks 2014-2015

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
This is a voting to determine the best players of the San Jose Sharks last season and their ranking versus each other. In order to participate, send me a PM with a list of the 5 players you think were the best on your team in the order you would rank them. The point system I am going to use: 5 points for every 1st place vote, 4 points for every 2nd place vote, 3 points for every 3rd place vote, 2 points for every 4th place vote and 1 point for every 5th place vote. Please put "San Jose Sharks" in the "Title" field of your message. The voting is open until Saturday, August 8th. You can still send in your ballot on that day. Don't complain if I don't count your vote when you send it in on Sunday 9th or later.

Rankings posted in the thread will not be considered, PMs only.

Looking for forward to your ballots!

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
This is a voting to determine the best players of the San Jose Sharks last season and their ranking versus each other. In order to participate, send me a PM with a list of the 5 players you think were the best on your team in the order you would rank them. The point system I am going to use: 5 points for every 1st place vote, 4 points for every 2nd place vote, 3 points for every 3rd place vote, 2 points for every 4th place vote and 1 point for every 5th place vote. Please put "San Jose Sharks" in the "Title" field of your message. The voting is open until Saturday, August 8th. You can still send in your ballot on that day. Don't complain if I don't count your vote when you send it in on Sunday 9th or later.

Rankings posted in the thread will not be considered, PMs only.

Looking for forward to your ballots!

You could have simply made a poll for #1 lasting 1-2 days then #2 so on and so forth similar to the prospect polls, more people would participate.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Voting Results

Thanks to all those who have voted. Here are the results. Players who appeared on one ballot only omitted.

Player | Points | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | Ballots
Joe Pavelski| 43 |5|3|2|0|0|10/11
Joe Thornton| 39 |3|4|1|2|1|11/11
Logan Couture| 30 |2|1|4|1|2|10/11
Marc-Édouard Vlasic| 28 |1|1|4|3|1|10/11
Brent Burns| 18 |0|2|0|3|4|9/11

The voting results for all 30 teams can be found in one place at the main board now.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I know we hate our team but I can't believe you guys voted for Kings players of all people :sarcasm:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Thanks to all those who have voted. Here are the results. Players who appeared on one ballot only omitted.

Player | Points | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | Ballots
Joe Pavelski| 43 |5|3|2|0|0|10/11
Joe Thornton| 39 |3|4|1|2|1|11/11
Logan Couture| 30 |2|1|4|1|2|10/11
Marc-Édouard Vlasic| 28 |1|1|4|3|1|10/11
Brent Burns| 18 |0|2|0|3|4|9/11

The voting results for all 30 teams can be found in one place at the main board now.

No question, I would put Couture ahead of Thornton. Vlasic ahead of Burns or not is a tough one. It depends on what type of defenseman one favors. Vlasic and Burns are completely different in this past season.

Vlasic was stronger on defense but anemic on offense. Burns' defense, well, I will skip that and talk about his offense. That was top tier in the league among defensemen.

Image what the Sharks' defense would be like if Vlasic could inherit some of Burns offensive skills, and Burns of Vlasic's defensive skills.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
0QMZLhW.png

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV

That graph is awfully pretty....and yet there is something wrong...I can't put my finger on it. Oh yeah. The glaring "3 year span" that it is based on. So irrelevant graph involving the 2013 and 2014 seasons into a vote for 2015?

Seems legit.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
That graph is awfully pretty....and yet there is something wrong...I can't put my finger on it. Oh yeah. The glaring "3 year span" that it is based on. So irrelevant graph involving the 2013 and 2014 seasons into a vote for 2015?

Seems legit.

That is the latest span possible, spans are to prevent small-sample bias and they work well here. Thornton has actually been improving in this department over time:

kEKH7iG.png

One-year metrics agree. Jumbo actually had a rotten PDO last year.

Thornton's ability to drive play and make his linemates better is basically unparalleled in the league. Pavelski has been having great seasons, and he has become one of the better players in the league in his own right. But Thornton is still our best player by a significant margin. He remains the only player on the Sharks that can regularly impose his will on any competition.

This should all be visible to anyone that watches the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad