Voting: Best Players of the Philadelphia Flyers 2014-2015

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
This is a voting to determine the best players of the Philadelphia Flyers last season and their ranking versus each other. In order to participate, send me a PM with a list of the 5 players you think were the best on your team in the order you would rank them. The point system I am going to use: 5 points for every 1st place vote, 4 points for every 2nd place vote, 3 points for every 3rd place vote, 2 points for every 4th place vote and 1 point for every 5th place vote. Please put "Philadelphia Flyers" in the "Title" field of your message. The voting is open until Saturday, August 8th. You can still send in your ballot on that day. Don't complain if I don't count your vote when you send it in on Sunday 9th or later.

Rankings posted in the thread will not be considered, PMs only.

Looking for forward to your ballots!

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I sent a PM but for discussions sake here was my list

Mason
Voracek
Giroux
Couturier
Streit

Could've gone either way with The top 3 spots but I think Mason was just so darn consistent all season long while Jake and G hit a rough patch after the all star break, until Giroux went on a tear to end the season

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
PM sent

For discussions sake:

01-Jake Voracek
02-Claude Giroux
03-Steve Mason
04-Wayne Simmonds
05-Mark Streit

I'd probably have Mason higher if not for the nagging injuries. G and Jake were healthy all year and brought it night in, night out with very little support. Two of the top 10 scorers in the NHL, that says it all.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm not going to send a PM, but I'll post mine here for the sake of discussion:

1. Voracek
Simply put, he was more effective at even strength than Giroux, who did most of his damage on the power play.

2. Giroux
Still an excellent player, but was not nearly as effective at even strength, which is a concern.

3. Mason
Had the best season I've seen from a Flyers' netminder since Cechmanek. Stole games and kept them in many they had no business otherwise.

4. Simmonds
Unfortunately inconsistent, but still one of the few difference makers on the team.

5. Streit
The only real defenseman the team had and ran a good point on the first PP. Declined significantly defensively in the 2nd half, however.

Honorable Mentions: Couturier (for playing the tough minutes and flashing substantial offensive strides the last 6 weeks of the season) and Raffl (surprisingly effective at ES; helped every line he was on).

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
My MVP ballot for '14 - '15:

1. Voracek - Came out of the gates easily exceeding almost everybody's highest expectations for the season.
2. Mason - First season in pretty much forever where the starting goaltender situation was never in doubt.
3. Giroux - Solid season offensively, but his best yet defensively and on the dot.
4. Streit - Had a fairly decent season defensively while also effectively replacing Timonen on the top PP unit.
5. Couturier - Continued strong defensive work with bonus offense despite dragging around two guys who were injured pretty much the entire season. Would've liked to see a better PK, but I am not so sure the early season woes there are really on him.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
What's the reasoning for you guys to have Giroux behind Voracek?

No real reason other then i was very impressed with Jake leading scoring at the All star break. He looked like absolute force and there really were plenty of nights where he seemed better than Giroux. And i was very impressed with Giroux's season as well, i certainly wouldnt call it a down year for him by any means

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
No real reason other then i was very impressed with Jake leading scoring at the All star break. He looked like absolute force and there really were plenty of nights where he seemed better than Giroux. And i was very impressed with Giroux's season as well, i certainly wouldnt call it a down year for him by any means

I can't disagree with any of this.

Voracek was more valuable.

This I can't get behind. Giroux, not Voracek, was the guy out there in the dire minutes of games and periods when the Flyers needed to stamp out the other team. Giroux plays all of Voracek's minutes alongside over a minute more ES time per game and 45 seconds of PK time. Giroux is a top 10 center when it comes to two way play. Voracek is no slouch in his own end but he's never going to be at Giroux's level in that regard.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I had raffl in mine. I thought he was clutch all year. Potted 21 goals and played in every scenario except the one he should have been an easy choice for... Power play

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
1. Voracek
2. Mason
3. Giroux
4. Simmonds
5. Streit

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I had raffl in mine. I thought he was clutch all year. Potted 21 goals and played in every scenario except the one he should have been an easy choice for... Power play

Just curious, over who?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't disagree with any of this.

This I can't get behind. Giroux, not Voracek, was the guy out there in the dire minutes of games and periods when the Flyers needed to stamp out the other team. Giroux plays all of Voracek's minutes alongside over a minute more ES time per game and 45 seconds of PK time. Giroux is a top 10 center when it comes to two way play. Voracek is no slouch in his own end but he's never going to be at Giroux's level in that regard.

To each their own but there is a reason that Jake Voracek won the Bobby Clarke Trophy this year..so the organization clearly agrees with me. :yo:

LePalle

Aug 22, 2006
South Jersey
1. Giroux
2. Voracek
3. Mason
4. Couturier
5. Simmonds

Streit/Couturier/Simmonds are all pretty close to even for me for last season.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Just curious, over who?

Simmonds and coots. Both of which were close, coots wasn't given a chance to succeed with his lack of ozone play and simmonds is a great player but something about raffls season stood out to me. Is he top 5 player on the team no.

But to explain my reasoning outside g and jake I also took mason and streit on the facts they too had great seasons all around while having little opportunity to succeed. Streit never really had a good partner all year and mason had horrible d in front of him yet both came out on top

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Simmonds and coots. Both of which were close, coots wasn't given a chance to succeed with his lack of ozone play and simmonds is a great player but something about raffls season stood out to me. Is he top 5 player on the team no.

But to explain my reasoning outside g and jake I also took mason and streit on the facts they too had great seasons all around while having little opportunity to succeed. Streit never really had a good partner all year and mason had horrible d in front of him yet both came out on top

Simmonds led the team in goals and was a great leader on and off the ice all season :amazed:

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Simmonds led the team in goals and was a great leader on and off the ice all season :amazed:

i absolutely agree with you on that, but, i couldnt leave g or jake off. They are shoe ins. I also wanted to put MDZ as him, streit and mason were 3 guys who were destined to fail yet did so well. so picking 2 of them and leaving mdz off as he did have a rough spell left me one spot. Simmonds was amazing and was expected to be, similar to G but G is G.

I guess my list out side to 2 obvious choices came about based on guys who i didnt expect to be such an impact on this team

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i absolutely agree with you on that, but, i couldnt leave g or jake off. They are shoe ins. I also wanted to put MDZ as him, streit and mason were 3 guys who were destined to fail yet did so well. so picking 2 of them and leaving mdz off as he did have a rough spell left me one spot. Simmonds was amazing and was expected to be, similar to G but G is G.

I guess my list out side to 2 obvious choices came about based on guys who i didnt expect to be such an impact on this team

Sorry I just can't get behind putting Raffl on your list over Simmonds just because Raffl was unexpectedly good. This list is for 5 best players of 2014-2015!

But to each their own :)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Honestly, while I thought Giroux and Voracek had good/great season, without Mason I truely think we might be close to the #1/#2 pick (maybe not #1/#2 but I wouldnt have been surprised if we were top 5). I remember MANY games where he straight up stood on his head when Grossmann/Schenn were by, by the other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad