Voter Fatigue Awards

Derick*

Sometimes, it seems, the voters for an award are tired of the recognition (whether through awards themselves or through the media in general) given to certain players and vote for someone who they may not honestly consider most deserving but would rather give recognition to.

Some awards that may have been from "voter fatigue"...

Yzerman's 1989 Lindsay/Pearson (Gretzky or Lemieux)
Chara's 2009 Norris (Lidstrom)
Sedin's 2010 Hart (Crosby or Ovechkin)

What other possible such awards have there been?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Randy Carlyle's Norris. Potvin should have won, but voters were probably tired of giving it to him and Robinson. If Bourque had played the whole season he quite possibly would have won the award, so Carlyle was also lucky in this regard.

Rollins' Hart in 54 could also partially be due to fatigue regarding Howe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Outsider

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Bobby Orr would win harts over espo in 71 and 72 despite espo outscoring him, but in 74 they felt like giving it to espo, despite orr's plus minus was way better and close enough in production.

In 1963, Doug Harvey lead defensemen in scoring by a good margin, but was not even a 2nd team all star. Either they were sick and tired of him, or he was punished for rangers's mediocre record.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
In 1963, Doug Harvey lead defensemen in scoring by a good margin, but was not even a 2nd team all star. Either they were sick and tired of him, or he was punished for rangers's mediocre record.

Apparantly Harvey was really bad in the 2nd half of 62-63 and by 63-64 was in the minors. From what I understand his fall was hard and fast and started in the 2nd half of 62-63, hence not getting the Norris.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
In gretzkys case his name worked for him some years. When lemieux scored 199 points gretzky had 168, both had the same amount of assists but lemieux had 31 more goals. Yet gretzky won the hart that should have been lemieuxs. Another one was messier's 92 hart which could have been given to a few guys other than him, mostly 70 goal scorer brett hull or art ross winner lemieux.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Sedin winning the 2009-10 Hart wasn't voter fatigue, it was voters looking beyond the hype and saying:

"Ovechkin missed games due to injury and dumb suspensions, and played on an offensively stacked team. Crosby stunk up the joint when Malkin was injured and his team lost a ton of games during that time, and got close in the scoring race by piling up huge numbers against the Islanders' backup goaltenders at the end of the season. Sedin adjusted to Daniel's injury by taking on a higher scoring load, kept his team winning games, and won the Art Ross trophy in the defensively tougher western conference."

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In gretzkys case his name worked for him some years. When lemieux scored 199 points gretzky had 168, both had the same amount of assists but lemieux had 31 more goals. Yet gretzky won the hart that should have been lemieuxs. Another one was messier's 92 hart which could have been given to a few guys other than him, mostly 70 goal scorer brett hull or art ross winner lemieux.

Gretzky won the hart that year bc of the amazing turnaround by LA

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I don't remember Crosby sucking without Malkin last year. I just remember malkin sucking period. I saw it as crosby finishing a couple of points behind sedin, while scoring far more goals, while playing a far more complete game, and leading his team to a similar level of success with less help from his teammates.

The racking up points against the islanders is an interesting factor that I had forgotten about.

I do agree w you about ovechkin though. He got his dumbass suspended twice and his team didn't miss a beat.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There was nobody even close to jagr in 99. Certainly not hasek. Hasek didn't sniff the vezina in 96 bc he missed the playoffs, right or wrong. Hasek played only 35 games in 2000, and obviously wasn't in the running because of games played

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I don't remember Crosby sucking without Malkin last year. I just remember malkin sucking period. I saw it as crosby finishing a couple of points behind sedin, while scoring far more goals, while playing a far more complete game, and leading his team to a similar level of success with less help from his teammates.

The racking up points against the islanders is an interesting factor that I had forgotten about.

I do agree w you about ovechkin though. He got his dumbass suspended twice and his team didn't miss a beat.

I'm pretty sure there was a stretch last year where Crosby was pointless (or nearly so) for 6 or 7 games, that corresponded with a rough skid for the Penguins and an injury to Malkin.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
1998-99 was the year the Toronto media (CBC, TSN, The Score, newspapers, radio, etc.) went into a full-court press to have Curtis Joseph declared the better and more valuable goaltender than Dominik Hasek. There was also more than a hint of residual bitterness over the Olympics in the way Hasek was frequently discussed (lots of "he's just lucky, why don't shooters lift the puck over him?!" nonsense).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I guess I can see how voter fatigue played some part in the 99 hart. Hasek's numbers were just as great as his two hart years - even better save percentage, slightly fewer gp. But jagr's 99 was quite a bit better than any forward season in 97 or 98

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I guess I can see how voter fatigue played some part in the 99 hart. Hasek's numbers were just as great as his two hart years - even better save percentage, slightly fewer gp. But jagr's 99 was quite a bit better than any forward season in 97 or 98

I think Jagr was a worthy winner of the Hart trophy that year, but I definitely think there was a media-led backlash against Hasek, which can be seen in both the relative closeness of the Vezina trophy vote, and Hasek finishing behind Yashin in the Hart trophy voting (and not that far ahead of Joseph in 4th).

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
While he ended up winning the awards very easily, it amazes me that Bobby Orr was only a unanimous pick once for the Norris (1969-70). I don't see how any writer could've picked another defenceman ahead of him on 70-71 or 74-75.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i don't think chara's norris was lidstrom-voting-fatigue at all. if i had to say that about a norris, the closest to voter-fatigue in semi-recent memory would be leetch's first norris. but obviously leetch still had an excellent year.

but i think the only awards you can reasonably say that about are the conn smythes that gretzky didn't win.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
While he ended up winning the awards very easily, it amazes me that Bobby Orr was only a unanimous pick once for the Norris (1969-70). I don't see how any writer could've picked another defenceman ahead of him on 70-71 or 74-75.

Because it isn't the award for best rover? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad