Vote for the worst trade this offseason

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
What do you think?

Hamilton/Kessel easy

Though Kessel was a botched deal,. for a long time everyone knows his weakness, and leafs are in a rebuild of sorts so they have to show there hand.

I went with Hamilton because you didn't have to trade him for nothing, and you had more suitors if you put him in an open market setting.

Oshie (overrated), Saad was an inevitable trade. and Chicago was against the cap.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hamilton by a country mile. I'm going to hate the Bruins org for a LONG time because of that.

Nurse-Hamilton
Klefbom-Sekera

*sigh*

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Hamilton. Never thought much of Kessel anyway so why would I think they didn't get enough for him?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Pittsburgh gave up a bunch of ok prospects for a lazy scoring star with a bad contract

Boston traded away a 21 year old first pairing, potential star defenseman for magic beans, not even particularly good magic beans

Hamilton trade easily, it's Milbury'esq

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Hamilton was super bad but I think Kessel was worse

Well the Leafs got picks n stuff, so it's right up their alley as a rebuilding team. The Hamilton trade takes the cake. The Bruins only missed the playoffs by 2 points and Sweeney and Co. swoops in and shows their complete lack of knowledge and experience -- Not to mention spite.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I voted Hamilton, and I think it is the worst, but it's DAMNED close between it and the Kessel deal, I don't think the Leafs understand how bad they will be.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Hamilton was super bad but I think Kessel was worse

Too many questions (whatever they may or not be with Hamilton) with Kessel we know Wilson, Carlyle, Horacek none could get him to change and become a team first guy.

He's not going to drive your line, and he is very one dimensional.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I voted Hamilton, and I think it is the worst, but it's DAMNED close between it and the Kessel deal, I don't think the Leafs understand how bad they will be.

Dat opening day roster tho. :sarcasm:

Too many questions (whatever they may or not be with Hamilton) with Kessel we know Wilson, Carlyle, Horacek none could get him to change and become a team first guy.

He's not going to drive your line, and he is very one dimensional.
But he slots in perfectly on a team where he doesn't have to be a leader and is a third option.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
the Hamilton trade gives you perspective on how you can never give up on a young player till you know everything you need to know - for better or worse.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Boston took a lesser offer to spite Chiarelli and trade Hamilton to the biggest rival. This was such an unprofessional move. Reminds me of Kevin Lowe sabotaging the Comrie for Perry trade in 2003

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I voted Kessel because Hamilton gave Boston some pretty nice tangible assets right away, and the loss of value in that trade is made up a bit in the Lucic trade.

The Kessel deal was basically getting nothing. The 1st is so heavily protected it's ridiculous. Toronto has to actually give up a 2nd (might not be there's though), which undercuts the value of that 1st. The other player swaps are an insult imo. Pittsburgh has some good young prospects and yet they only gave 2nd tier ones. On top of that, Toronto has to pay 15% of Kessel's cap hit for 7 years. I would think that the Leafs hope to be competitive before then, and in the meantime this limits what Toronto can do considering you can only retain salary on 3 players at any one time.

Already, there are writers from Toronto trying to spin this saying it is "addition by subtraction". Wow. That's a way to spin getting virtually nothing for an elite winger, and then retaining salary! We will see how much subtraction Kessel is when he is playing next to Crosby and Malkin, and virtually nothing of consequence will come for Toronto out of this.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Voted Hamilton, but in the ultra-tough West and with the top 3 draft picks in lottery rotation, how a non-playoff team can trade an unprotected first round pick is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

Weren't they going to rebuild?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Boston took a lesser offer to spite Chiarelli and trade Hamilton to the biggest rival. This was such an unprofessional move. Reminds me of Kevin Lowe sabotaging the Comrie for Perry trade in 2003

Boston wanted Nurse and was not going to settle for anything else from the oilers.And lets face facts-- BB was not going to gift wrap DH to the Oilers., After the first 20 picks it becomes more of a crap shoot and a gamble and BB fans would have beenn more pissed at Chia Pet getting DHforpicks thenthere were with the trade anyway

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Don Sweeney is closing in on Mike Milbury territory.

Nah lets be real here, Sweeney's pulled a few poor moves but they're a shadow compared to the sheer destruction of Milbury. Nonetheless that Hamilton trade was easily the worst of the offseason so far. A true coup by Calgary. Kessel got what he was worth, not much.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Hamilton AINEC.

Agreed. The Leafs may have got nowhere near value on a talent in, talent out basis, but they dumped an albatross contract and took a big step towards cleaning out a sewer of a dressing room. They were never, ever going to win anything with Kessel functioning as the center of that team and that contract functioning as the center of their player budget. They needed a divorce and they got one, even if it cost them a bunch of dignity and valuables (much like a real divorce).

The Bruins, on the other hand, not only dumped a 6'5" smooth-skating offensively-minded potential #1 defenseman who is barely old enough to drink in the States, and not only apparently didn't even shop him properly, they didn't even reportedly take the best offer for him out of spite.

They arguably got more for 1 year of Milan Lucic than they got for one of the more highly-touted 22 year old defensemen in the league.

Who the hell trades players like Dougie Hamilton? And if you do, you damned sure better get a mint for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad