OT: Volunteer Work in Edmonton

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I've returned to Edmonton after several years of living around Canada, and it feels great to be back. I'm interested in giving back to the community that raised me and formed me into the person I am today (warts and all). As I'm getting older I am beginning to realize the importance of taking time to help those who need it, which is something I did not spend nearly enough time on thus far in my life.

Can anyone suggest some volunteer opportunities in Edmonton? I am particularly interested in indigenous issues (and have a good grasp on indigenous history), but of course I'm willing to work for any worthwhile causes. I'd like to brainstorm for volunteer opportunities that might be best for me, and in doing so perhaps this might lead to some other people getting involved in some worthwhile causes. Please share your volunteer experiences if you have some, or if you know of a noble cause that needs volunteer support please share that as well.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Moderator for HFOil :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, Food Bank, volunteering for local festivals like Heritage Days, Salvation Army, Hope Mission, etc.

Depends how "into the trenches" you want to get and what you are comfortable dealing with.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've returned to Edmonton after several years of living around Canada, and it feels great to be back. I'm interested in giving back to the community that raised me and formed me into the person I am today (warts and all). As I'm getting older I am beginning to realize the importance of taking time to help those who need it, which is something I did not spend nearly enough time on thus far in my life.

Can anyone suggest some volunteer opportunities in Edmonton? I am particularly interested in indigenous issues (and have a good grasp on indigenous history), but of course I'm willing to work for any worthwhile causes. I'd like to brainstorm for volunteer opportunities that might be best for me, and in doing so perhaps this might lead to some other people getting involved in some worthwhile causes. Please share your volunteer experiences if you have some, or if you know of a noble cause that needs volunteer support please share that as well.

I've volunteered and worked at YESS albeit along time ago. Frankly nothing was better than visiting the youth there, trying to make a difference, and even on special days like Christmas. Bent Arrow, Little Warriors often need volunteering help.

What I liked most about YESS was meeting young people that were struggling and off their goals at the time but there being quite a few that went on to be successful and still realize their hopes and dreams. Some sadder stories as well of course. But you'll find few places where an earnest volunteering role is so appreciated, albeit it takes time and energy and getting to know the youth and forming some trust.

A good entry point into volunteering, just getting the lay of the land of helping is things like the Food Bank, Christmas Bureau (might be too late) or helping with donations at such places as YESS. sorting, distributing, acquiring etc.

Silver Skate Festival Deep Freeze festival, and the Flying Canoe festival all have strong first nations components and are looking for volunteers. These are great events.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Meals on Wheels has a program they call their Grocery Bag Program. It was a life saver for my parents in terms of allowing them to stay in their own home a few years longer. They were always looking for volunteers when my parents were using the program.

Edmonton Grocery Delivery | The Grocery Bag®

In fact, meals on wheels was a wonderful organization to deal with all around.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
You can come clean my place as the kids are back from school .lol just kidding and good for you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad