Player Discussion: Volkov vs Lipanov

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We know almost nothing about Volkov. Wait a year and then repeat this poll.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think you have it backwards. Lipanov has the much higher ceiling but Volkov is the safer bet to reach his because it's not very high, Killorn like ceiling. Volkov has the higher floor as he should be a really good bottom 6 forward, if he gets his offensive game up he could be a good one but most likely a bigger Brown or faster Paquette.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think you have it backwards. Lipanov has the much higher ceiling but Volkov is the safer bet to reach his because it's not very high, Killorn like ceiling. Volkov has the higher floor as he should be a really good bottom 6 forward, if he gets his offensive game up he could be a good one but most likely a bigger Brown or faster Paquette.

Really, I think he can become an Ondrej Palat like player, while Lipanov is basically a safe bet for a middle-6 player.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't see the offensive game in Volkov to be a Palat. See a 15 -15 or 20 - 20 at his best player. Palat has much better playmaking ability, Volkov is a bit more direct. For Lipanov I see a Point type player but a bit more physical due to being the bigger player. Really good offensive instincts, good playmaker with a decent shot, solid two way game but in no way a shutdown forward.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I don't see the offensive game in Volkov to be a Palat. See a 15 -15 or 20 - 20 at his best player. Palat has much better playmaking ability, Volkov is a bit more direct. For Lipanov I see a Point type player but a bit more physical due to being the bigger player. Really good offensive instincts, good playmaker with a decent shot, solid two way game but in no way a shutdown forward.

I think Lipanov will be slower than Point and not as good a goal scorer, but fair evaluation.

To me, you are underrating Volkov's offensive ceiling, though as I said chances are he won't reach it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think I can really make a fair assessment about either of them. Where are you guys watching their highlights?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think I can really make a fair assessment about either of them. Where are you guys watching their highlights?

Also - highlights isn't exactly the best way to assess a player.

Anyway - I don't know which is/will be better. I trust Murray though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Also - highlights isn't exactly the best way to assess a player.

Anyway - I don't know which is/will be better. I trust Murray though.

Yea I trust Murray. I haven't watched them play at all so I couldn't tell you how good they are or which one will be better.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why does everybody trust Murray? His drafting isn't that amazing. Kucherov was a 2nd round pick, so were Hart and MacLeod who are busts while Blujus was not qualified. The best 1st round pick still around is Namestnikov who's a 3rd liner. Got really lucky on a double overager 7th round pick which helps his case. He really needs Point and Dotchin to make last year's play look like the real deal and his past couple of drafts to come through because Murray's doing well to make Syracuse better but the Lightning haven't benefited outside of 1 draft.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why does everybody trust Murray? His drafting isn't that amazing. Kucherov was a 2nd round pick, so were Hart and MacLeod who are busts while Blujus was not qualified. The best 1st round pick still around is Namestnikov who's a 3rd liner. Got really lucky on a double overager 7th round pick which helps his case. He really needs Point and Dotchin to make last year's play look like the real deal and his past couple of drafts to come through because Murray's doing well to make Syracuse better but the Lightning haven't benefited outside of 1 draft.

1. You are forgetting a TON of guys who have contributed way more than they should have. Paquette and Gudas the most obvious ones.

2. You have to think Murray is also very responsible for the Johnson, Brown, Sustr, and Conacher signings.

3. We've had soft landings on our big busts. Connolly and DeAngelo were both dealt to hedge the loss.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
1. You are forgetting a TON of guys who have contributed way more than they should have. Paquette and Gudas the most obvious ones.

2. You have to think Murray is also very responsible for the Johnson, Brown, Sustr, and Conacher signings.

3. We've had soft landings on our big busts. Connolly and DeAngelo were both dealt to hedge the loss.

Guess has contributed more for another team than us. Paquette contributes but is a 4th liner, nice find in the 4th round but look at the rest of that draft and it doesn't make up for it.

I'm only talking drafting because that's what he's here for and what everyone says he's killing it at.

Sure we recouped some of our loses but his 1st round drafting has been poor. We've traded more than we have on the NHL roster. He's been here 7 years, the NHL roster isn't even half filled with his picks.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Look at our current prospect pool. Look at how they stack up to other teams pools in terms of junior numbers, etc. Then get back to me.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Guess has contributed more for another team than us. Paquette contributes but is a 4th liner, nice find in the 4th round but look at the rest of that draft and it doesn't make up for it.

I'm only talking drafting because that's what he's here for and what everyone says he's killing it at.

Sure we recouped some of our loses but his 1st round drafting has been poor. We've traded more than we have on the NHL roster. He's been here 7 years, the NHL roster isn't even half filled with his picks.

I think that is probably the consensus here though. Be wary of the 1st round picks but trust in the later picks. Yzerman said he doesn't pick strictly BPA in the first round, and I imagine that might have something to do with it.

I disagree with using NHL players on our roster as a gauge, Murray isn't responsible for how many picks he gets to use or whom Yzerman trades. If you look at the players he's gotten, pick by pick, the vast majority of them have been hits.

I think you should reevaluate how high the bar is you are setting, it's impossibly high even with using your scale. The first draft he was actually responsible for was 2011 and he hit on every pick at least to some degree. 2014-2017 aren't expected to be on the roster, so that's a very small window you are expecting prospects to not only make the roster, but not have been dealt.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Look at our current prospect pool. Look at how they stack up to other teams pools in terms of junior numbers, etc. Then get back to me.

Prospect pool is much better but until they contribute at the NHL level it doesn't mean much, they could all flame out. The pool is also filled with a lot of depth and not high impact players, it's easier to hit on those than your late round gems that become stars.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Lipanov.

Like it skill and his excitement of joining our team. Seems like a good kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad