Confirmed with Link: Vokoun is BACK!

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Just awesome, awesome news. When we first heard about it, especially this being his second blood clot incident, I was worried that he may have to retire. Not only does it sound like he can lead a healthy life, he can do so giving one more go at what he loves to do. I feel good through osmosis.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I think I remember reading an article that said he wants to play again before retiring, so we should get him the cup this year because I have a strong feeling he will be retiring this season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There are teams out there that would claim Zatkoff without hesitation. NY Islanders, Edmonton, and Calgary to name a few.

Calgary wouldn't, they have no need as their back-up is Reto Berra. Edmonton wouldn't, they're clearly testing out Ben Scrivens as their goaltender of the future and have a veteran back-up they're paying $2 million to. The Islanders might, but there's never an explanation to their madness.

Regardless, I don't see Zatkoff being waived this season and my statement was meant to apply for the beginning of next season. I expect the Penguins to roll with three goalies once Vokoun comes back as we need a safety net just in case Vokoun is unable to play/play at a high level.

If the Penguins lose him on waivers in September/early October...whatever. Zatkoff isn't a good goalie, he's a cheap back-up who's played a sheltered schedule (3 starts against teams currently in the playoffs as of today; the best of which being Minnesota...oh, and the Penguins score an average of 4.25 goals per game in games he plays in, never scoring fewer than 3). Honestly there's a good part of me that would be happy to see him snagged off waivers, I don't see any upside to him. He's a fringe guy with a history of post-season failure. Meh. If he's placed on waivers that means we have a veteran back-up who's almost assuredly better.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Calgary wouldn't, they have no need as their back-up is Reto Berra. Edmonton wouldn't, they're clearly testing out Ben Scrivens as their goaltender of the future and have a veteran back-up they're paying $2 million to. The Islanders might, but there's never an explanation to their madness.

Regardless, I don't see Zatkoff being waived this season and my statement was meant to apply for the beginning of next season. I expect the Penguins to roll with three goalies once Vokoun comes back as we need a safety net just in case Vokoun is unable to play/play at a high level.

If the Penguins lose him on waivers in September/early October...whatever. Zatkoff isn't a good goalie, he's a cheap back-up who's played a sheltered schedule (3 starts against teams currently in the playoffs as of today; the best of which being Minnesota...oh, and the Penguins score an average of 4.25 goals per game in games he plays in, never scoring fewer than 3). Honestly there's a good part of me that would be happy to see him snagged off waivers, I don't see any upside to him. He's a fringe guy with a history of post-season failure. Meh. If he's placed on waivers that means we have a veteran back-up who's almost assuredly better.

I completely disagree with every single word here.

But that's OK.

:)

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
As much as I respect the guy and the effort he's given us so far, Losing Zatkoff to waivers will not kill this team. He hasn't shown enough promise to think he will become a starter.

A 5v5 SV% of 90.2% is not going to cut it in this league. Not looking good so far for Jeff.

He is 61 out of 74 goaltenders in 5v5 SV%.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah, I really don't see the big deal long term about losing Zatkoff. There will be other backups the Penguins will be able to sign that won't be any worse.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I completely disagree with every single word here.

But that's OK.

:)

Zatkoff has had a couple of good games this year, but in the rest of them, he was either very well insulated or he was a disaster.

I wish he was better than he is, but he's not. And his playoff numbers in the AHL make Fleury's playoff meltdown years look like fantastic displays in stopping pucks.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
His AHL playoff numbers matter very little, and how many disasters has he had? I count maybe TWO, both in the first two months. He has gotten progressively better, despite extremely sporadic usage.

I don't know what more you can ask of a backup.

Vokoun is insurance in case of another Fleury meltdown. Zatkoff's our backup going forward.

Keeping three for a very brief period of time makes way more sense than waiving him.

Besides, after the deadline, rosters can expand beyond 23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad