Confirmed with Link: Vokoun is BACK!

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I would think this has significant roster fallout in both cap and waiver casualties.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Both of our goalies have played great this year. Great he's healthy but ugh would of liked to have his cap for the deadline...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't care one bit from a hockey standpoint. I'm just glad the guy is healthy. That was quite a scare.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Cap fallout?

The team is operating as if Letang is out for the season, there shouldn't be any cap issues when/if Vokoun returns to the active roster.

Definitely great news for Voky to be deemed healthy enough to do whatever he needs to do in life.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hopefully these blood clot issues are behind him for good now. If he can be anywhere near the goalie he was last year that would be huge for this team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I want to see him play a few games before I start saying let's trade this and that guy, he's had a long layoff and I am glad he's 100% healthy and cleared to resume his career, regardless of what happens next.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
This is like relay with dangerous health issues. First Vokoun and now he has passed to Letang, I hope no more follows.

Concerning his play I hope he can play without hinderance and finish the season well. After that I hope he retires and enjoys long life.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Both of our goalies have played great this year. Great he's healthy but ugh would of liked to have his cap for the deadline...

Yeah, no. I pick going into the playoffs with a goaltender that can actually contribute when the games become important over having cap space at the deadline.

Anyway, great to hear he's doing well! :handclap:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
A) Very glad to see this guy is healthy and can lead an active life without fear of more clots / life-threatening issues.

B) All due respect to Zatkoff, it will be nice to have him back in case the Fleury Flops return this spring.

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto
Really happy for Tommy V.

As far as hockey... Zatkoff has been good, but going into the playoffs with Zatkoff as the backup would make me nervous (because of inexperience). If TV can get some reps and he looks like his normal self... not nervous about our goaltending.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'm glad he's healthy. Now we can get selfish and start hoping he's still got the reflexes.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I would think this has significant roster fallout in both cap and waiver casualties.

With Letang likely out for a long time, Vokoun's coming back has less impact on the cap, since they can place Letang on LTIR prior to taking Vokoun off of it. That would actually be a net gain of 1.5M in cap space for the time Letang's on LTIR. Considering it looks like Letang is unlikely to be back before the playoffs, there shouldn't be any trouble bringing Vokoun back on to the roster, in terms of the Cap, at least.

I also suspect that Zatkoff's two-year one-way deal that kicks in next season would allow him to pass through waivers. He isn't all the proven of a commodity, so why claim someone who you would then be responsible for paying an NHL salary to for the next two years?

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I also suspect that Zatkoff's two-year one-way deal that kicks in next season would allow him to pass through waivers. He isn't all the proven of a commodity, so why claim someone who you would then be responsible for paying an NHL salary to for the next two years?

Basically this right here on the situation. Zatkoff is going to be 27 next season and has about a dozen games of NHL experience where he's been mostly competent. The chances of another team picking up a two-year, one-way contract on him is very low, no matter how minor the caphit is. I'd imagine most teams in the league probably feel like they have a similar in-house goalie goalie that doesn't have a one-way contract or that they can troll Europe and find a guy they don't have to offer multiple years of a one-way contract to fill their back-up situation.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Zatkoff is a dime a dozen goalie who's only real advantage is that he's cheap. It would take an injury or two for Zatkoff to be a risk to lose on waivers in my eyes, especially with that two-year, one-way deal.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

A) Very glad to see this guy is healthy and can lead an active life without fear of more clots / life-threatening issues.

B) All due respect to Zatkoff, it will be nice to have him back in case the Fleury Flops return this spring.

Pretty much this. Glad the guy is healthy again. And have a capable back up come playoff time.

Michael8771*

I don't care one bit from a hockey standpoint. I'm just glad the guy is healthy. That was quite a scare.
This might sound harsh but honestly I don't know Vokoun personally, so I care a lot more about the player than I do the person. I'm happy that the player can come back and help the team.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
With Letang likely out for a long time, Vokoun's coming back has less impact on the cap, since they can place Letang on LTIR prior to taking Vokoun off of it. That would actually be a net gain of 1.5M in cap space for the time Letang's on LTIR. Considering it looks like Letang is unlikely to be back before the playoffs, there shouldn't be any trouble bringing Vokoun back on to the roster, in terms of the Cap, at least.

Zatkoff signed his first contract at the age of 21. As a goalie, he got 4 years or 54 NHL games for his waiver exemption. He's currently in his fifth year, which means he's no longer waiver exempt.

So Zatkoff must clear waivers in order to go down to WBS, and I think it's virtually impossible that a relatively young backup who is 9-2-1 in 12 NHL games doesn't get claimed. I fully expect the Pens to carry 3 goalies for the remainder of the season.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Zatkoff is a dime a dozen goalie who's only real advantage is that he's cheap. It would take an injury or two for Zatkoff to be a risk to lose on waivers in my eyes, especially with that two-year, one-way deal.

There are teams out there that would claim Zatkoff without hesitation. NY Islanders, Edmonton, and Calgary to name a few.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Zatkoff signed his first contract at the age of 21. As a goalie, he got 4 years or 54 NHL games for his waiver exemption. He's currently in his fifth year, which means he's no longer waiver exempt.

So Zatkoff must clear waivers in order to go down to WBS, and I think it's virtually impossible that a relatively young backup who is 9-2-1 in 12 NHL games doesn't get claimed. I fully expect the Pens to carry 3 goalies for the remainder of the season.

There are teams out there that would claim Zatkoff without hesitation. NY Islanders, Edmonton, and Calgary to name a few.

I agree. People view his one-way contract starting next season as a bad thing in the eyes of other clubs. Au contraire, mes amis. Teams would LOVE to add a still-young netminder with still some upside, who is signed for the next two seasons, who has proven to be a very competent NHLer this season.

It would be stupid to waive him. That doesn't mean we won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad