Value of: Vlasic to Montreal before the 2019 draft

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
What would Sharks be looking for in a trade for Vlasic who could be an ideal partner for Weber?

Sharks should do all they can to sign Karlsson and if they do they will face tough decisions due to the cap.

They Currently have $22.7M of Cap space next year and the big names that need to be signed are Karlsson, Meier, Pavelski and Thornton and they then still have 3 RFA and 2 UFA or prospects to sign to have a full roster. I'm thinking that with Karlsson, Meier and Pavelski the $22.7M is pettry much all spent,

If Karlsson is signed, trading Vlasic may be a good option to free cap space.

Vlasic has a NMC but he comes back to his home in Quebec every summer so Montreal might be one of the few teams he would be willing to waive his NMC. .

What would the Habs need to add to Mike Reilly or Cale Fleury + 2x 2nd round pick in 2019 to get this done?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
If you're wanting Vlasic, you're hoping to get prior-to-2018 Vlasic. He's taken a major step back, though, time will tell if it's truly him regressing, or if this has just been a bad stretch for him. That being said, given the cap situation we are in, I would suspect most Sharks fans would be okay with Cale Fleury + 2x 2nd round picks, assuming we resign EK.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
What would Sharks be looking for in a trade for Vlasic who could be an ideal partner for Weber?

Sharks should do all they can to sign Karlsson and if they do they will face tough decisions due to the cap.

They Currently have $22.7M of Cap space next year and the big names that need to be signed are Karlsson, Meier, Pavelski and Thornton and they then still have 3 RFA and 2 UFA or prospects to sign to have a full roster. I'm thinking that with Karlsson, Meier and Pavelski the $22.7M is pettry much all spent,

If Karlsson is signed, trading Vlasic may be a good option to free cap space.

Vlasic has a NMC but he comes back to his home in Quebec every summer so Montreal might be one of the few teams he would be willing to waive his NMC. .

What would the Habs need to add to Mike Reilly or Cale Fleury + 2x 2nd round pick in 2019 to get this done?

Honestly we would mostly be looking for salary relief. So picks/prospects primarily. Given the salary situation, and our need to re-sign Karlsson and Pavelski this off season, and that we honestly just really don't need Vlasic anymore (Burns and Karlsson eat up 50 minutes a night, Vlasic is getting reduced ice time and seems pissed about it), you could probably get him relatively inexpensively. He seems unhappy here, and I think it's time he had a change of scenery so he can get his game back together.

I'd probably take a 1st and a decent prospect.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Honestly we would mostly be looking for salary relief. So picks/prospects primarily. Given the salary situation, and our need to re-sign Karlsson and Pavelski this off season, and that we honestly just really don't need Vlasic anymore (Burns and Karlsson eat up 50 minutes a night, Vlasic is getting reduced ice time and seems pissed about it), you could probably get him relatively inexpensively. He seems unhappy here, and I think it's time he had a change of scenery so he can get his game back together.

A fist and a decent prospect is a hefty price for a team in need of cap space trading an unhappy player with a down year on a somewhat bad contract.

Given what i just read in previous post, I'm thinking that a young D with some potential, a second round pick and a C prospect may get it done

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
A fist and a decent prospect is a hefty price for a team in need of cap space trading an unhappy player with a down year on a somewhat bad contract.

Given what i just read in previous post, I'm thinking that a young D with some potential, a second round pick and a C prospect may get it done

If we resign EK, I'd imagine that is true. It's a risky play: you could be getting a Norris-caliber D at 7M, or you could be getting an overpaid 3/4.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Defensman age better then forwards and I would really not be suprised to see the pre 2018 Vlasic come back if given a first pairing role for his home province's team

Defensemen aging better than forwards just means they decline a couple of years later. It doesn't mean that a guy that is struggling now and turns 32 in March will still be an effective D-man for another 7 years.

It's a MASSIVE gamble for a team that already has a lot of cap and term tied up in older guys (Weber and Price). At least Weber is still playing at a really high level and Price is starting to find his game again. But if Montreal acquires Vlasic, Montreal would have over 25 million in cap tied up over the next 7 years in players that are already in their 30s. And that's not including the cap they have tied up in Alzner. If Montreal was a contender it would be one thing, but all that would do is enforce Montreal's current mediocrity and ensure a Chicago/LA situation down the road.

At least Weber's contract is a heavy backdiving contract with no real cap recapture risk to Montreal.

And I haven't even got into navigating Vlasic's NMC.

Its just not realistic or logical for Montreal. Or jive with what the GM said. They aren't trading prospects and are even looking into moving their vets. They aren't going to take a run and acquiring Vlasic.

Vlasic's level of play is almost irrelevant as to why Montreal wouldn't pursue acquiring him. Age, contract and team situation are much more relevant.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Defensemen aging better than forwards just means they decline a couple of years later. It doesn't mean that a guy that is struggling now and turns 32 in March will still be an effective D-man for another 7 years.

It's a MASSIVE gamble for a team that already has a lot of cap and term tied up in older guys (Weber and Price). At least Weber is still playing at a really high level and Price is starting to find his game again. But if Montreal acquires Vlasic, Montreal would have over 25 million in cap tied up over the next 7 years in players that are already in their 30s. And that's not including the cap they have tied up in Alzner. If Montreal was a contender it would be one thing, but all that would do is enforce Montreal's current mediocrity and ensure a Chicago/LA situation down the road.

At least Weber's contract is a heavy backdiving contract with no real cap recapture risk to Montreal.

Its just not realistic or logical for Montreal. Or jive with what the GM said. They aren't trading prospects and are even looking into moving their vets. They aren't going to take a run and acquiring Vlasic.

Vlasic's level of play is almost irrelevant as to why Montreal wouldn't pursue acquiring him. Age, contract and team situation are much more relevant.

Those are pretty fair points, however with Price and Weber's contracts, we kind of are already are looking to ensure a Chicago/LA situation down the road, might as well try to build a Stanley Cup contending team. With Vlasic and a first line RW, Habs would be pretty close to a contending team next year.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Those are pretty fair points, however with Price and Weber's contracts, we kind of are already are looking to ensure a Chicago/LA situation down the road, might as well try to build a Stanley Cup contending team. With Vlasic and a first line RW, Habs would be pretty close to a contending team next year.

Not really. One contract can be maneuvered around for a cap ceiling team (especially one with extra money and lots of picks/prospects) and people are seriously underestimating Montreal's ability to use Weber's backdiving contract exactly how it was designed to be used (since they don't care about cap recapture).

And Vlasic and a first line RW doesn't really turn Montreal into a contender without other players actually elevating their play. Plus, Vlasic has to actually play well and they need to get a 1st line RW. And even then, how long would that be a contender. Those two pieces would eat up Montreal's cap flexibility long term. What happens when other guys need raises in the next couple of seasons?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The only way Vlasic goes to Montreal is if he chooses to go there because he wants a fresh start after having such a horrible season. The Sharks wouldn't need Fleury or Reilly back in return. Maybe more like Romanov or Harris with those picks and having you take Melker Karlsson with Vlasic.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
The only way Vlasic goes to Montreal is if he chooses to go there because he wants a fresh start after having such a horrible season. The Sharks wouldn't need Fleury or Reilly back in return. Maybe more like Romanov or Harris with those picks and having you take Melker Karlsson with Vlasic.

After this world juniors, I don't think that Bergevin would trade Romanov 1x1 for Vlasic.

Reactions: Dominator13

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Somehow I doubt actual GMs live in the moment as fan seem to do here

1) Habs management was super high on Romanov well before the WJC. That's why they used high 2nd round pick on him in what most considered a real reach. You think they'd be more or less high on him after his WJC performance?

2) Bergevin has said Montreal isn't a buyer. They're still committed to hte youth movement. Vlasic isn't a realistic target for Montreal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
1) Habs management was super high on Romanov well before the WJC. That's why they used high 2nd round pick on him in what most considered a real reach. You think they'd be more or less high on him after his WJC performance?

2) Bergevin has said Montreal isn't a buyer. They're still committed to hte youth movement. Vlasic isn't a realistic target for Montreal.
Okay.
I would think they'd be incouraged in context. At least that's what I'd hope if I was a fan of the team
I wasn't commenting on fit or need.
Only that it's not a good time for the Sharks to pawn off Vlasic.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
After this world juniors, I don't think that Bergevin would trade Romanov 1x1 for Vlasic.
Then Bergevin would be the dumbest GM alive. Bergevin should be hoping and praying that Romanov become half the player Vlasic is.

I completely understand not wanting to give away futures but Vlasic is still a top pairing D. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he’s unhappy. If you’re not offering something worthwhile to us then you aren’t getting him.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Okay.
I would think they'd be incouraged in context. At least that's what I'd hope if I was a fan of the team
I wasn't commenting on fit or need.
Only that it's not a good time for the Sharks to pawn off Vlasic.

I don't disagree with that take, but I just think that Vlasic to Montreal is a poor fit regardless of the level of play Vlasic is providing or what the return would be.

Reactions: Groo

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I'm not up too much on how Montreal values their prospects. I'm just more giving off the type of prospect I would think San Jose would ask for in a trade for Vlasic. They probably won't want right-side d-men especially if they re-sign Karlsson while having Burns and having Merkley, Roy, and DeSimone in their system. The Sharks have Dillon, Ryan, and Simek playing with them but Middleton is their next best left-side d-man in their system so they can probably use a prospect on that side or high-upside forwards or goalies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Excellent post and a very good summary for why Vlasic to the Habs just isn't a realistic option for the Habs right now. No doubt he would be a massive upgrade on the Habs defense but his age and taking on that contract wouldn't be a good idea with both the Weber and Price contracts already on the books.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

No chance the Habs give up a 1st and a decent for Vlasic.Not interested at that price.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
C-YA.:nono:

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad