Confirmed with Link: Vlasic signed to 6-year extension (4.6M AAV)

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He's making less than half of what Jones is making and doesn't have any trade clauses (from what I can tell).

I know offensive D make more, but that just feels wrong given what each of them do on the ice.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
This deal looks great. He only has 100 games of NHL experience, but 6’6” dmen that can skate well and have a reasonable hockey IQ always have value in the $3-5 million range. This is a no brainer for the Hawks.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Guy came out of nowhere too. Was a middling prospect that over the summer became a big part of the rebuild. Very happy.
Great for him. 1 big year on the 2nd worst team in hockey makes him and his kids rich. If he plays exactly how he did this year for 6 more its worth it.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Great signing.

Lets hope this is the beginning of the youth who will make up the core of the rebuild, and the beginning of thier understanding and acceptance that taking a little less money for the common good of the success of the team moving forward is KING....

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Vlasic’s analytics put him in an elite defenseman category this season. Based on Evolving Hockey’s model, Vlasic was first among all defensemen in overall defensive goals above replacement and second in even-strength defense. Vlasic also finished atop The Athletic’s net rating model among all Blackhawks players.

An excerpt from the Athletic article about him re-signing.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
The final three years of the deal are going to be crucial. Hopefully CHI is a playoff team again at that point and they can maximize the surplus value of the contract.

Reactions: Muffinalt

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Holy shit. Why would he ever do that? This is insane.
Guessing KD wanted to buy years 7 and 8 at a higher AAV. The cost controlled years drive down the real dollars to the player down, lowering AAV. Would have been lower for 4 or 5 years.

Vlasic betting on himself set up to be on what should be his prime on a deep pocketed team that should be under pressure to win.

As many others said, this a fair deal for both sides in my opinion.

As for the Hjalmarrsson comp, it's not a straight line. The offer sheet threw things off and so did the term.

This is pretty closer to Brodin's first extension by %, Brodin having had done a little more.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Underrated part of this being for 6 years is it ends the same time as Jones' deal. Assuming that we don't resign Seth, that opens up a lot of cap space at that point, so Vlasic getting a few million per bump won't be the end of the world.

Bedard will also be half way through his next contract, assuming he's re-signed for 8 years, so Kyle (or whoever) wont have to try getting Vlasic signed to a new deal around the time Bedard will need a raise.

6 years just lines up really well for the future.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Underrated part of this being for 6 years is it ends the same time as Jones' deal. Assuming that we don't resign Seth, that opens up a lot of cap space at that point, so Vlasic getting a few million per bump won't be the end of the world.

Bedard will also be half way through his next contract, assuming he's re-signed for 8 years, so Kyle (or whoever) wont have to try getting Vlasic signed to a new deal around the time Bedard will need a raise.

Very fair deal for both sides.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I think it's a pretty fair deal for both sides. I'm glad KD got it done fairly quick and can move on to other things. I still don't think Vlasic is a finished product and will get even better.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com

Pretzel logic/delusional math guy here: Vlasic’s contract being valued at 7m makes Seth Jones contract valued at -2.4m less

Can anyone with an economics degree confirm this for me? Thanks

Reactions: Taze em

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad