Value of: Vladislav Gavrikov

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He looked very good in the preseason (was ok in the playoffs as well) and is still pretty young (will be 24 in November), has all the tools to become one of the top defensive defenseman in the league, and his size is ok (6'3, 214 lb). The problem is, he's behind Werensky, Murray and Nutivaara on Columbus, and I doubt he'll get a lot of playing time. And he's on the last year of his ELC, and if they don't give him a chance to show himself and sign a nice contract, he'll just get back to the KHL.

I don't think, his trade value is high, so if there's a team, that needs a good defensive LD, it has a chance to solve some of its problems.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
I don’t know who this is but Jets need all the defensive help they can get right now. What would the ask be?

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I think you're better off keeping Gavrikov. He was slow to start in the KHL and steadily improved until he was pretty much the undisputed best defenseman in that league and I imagine he'll become a pretty good and steady defensive defenseman for you guys.

As fas as value goes, I'd think you could get a pick, perhaps a second-round pick if a team liked him enough to pull off the trigger, plus either a weaker roster defenseman or a B prospect in exchange for Vladislav Gavrikov.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think you're better off keeping Gavrikov. He was slow to start in the KHL and steadily improved until he was pretty much the undisputed best defenseman in that league and I imagine he'll become a pretty good and steady defensive defenseman for you guys.

As fas as value goes, I'd think you could get a pick, perhaps a second-round pick if a team liked him enough to pull off the trigger, plus either a weaker roster defenseman or a B prospect in exchange for Vladislav Gavrikov.

He played 5 or 6 years in the KHL and it's his contract year in the NHL. I doubt, he will agree to play for the league minimum next year, and without playing time he won't get any more.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ve always liked him. Reminds me so much of a left handed Hamonic.

I think Gavrikov is a much better technical defender than Hamonic. Really good all-ways mobility and tight gaps.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t know who this is but Jets need all the defensive help they can get right now. What would the ask be?

1st rounder, pair of 2nds, Roslovic, Copp, one of those maybe.

I know that's high for a guy most people haven't heard of, but the Jackets aren't lost on what his value is, there's just a logjam. He looks every bit the part of a top 4 D. He's probably part of the Jackets' long term plans and he'll be a regular before long.

Reactions: Dumais

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I know that's high for a guy most people haven't heard of, but the Jackets aren't lost on what his value is, there's just a logjam. He looks every bit the part of a top 4 D. He's probably part of the Jackets' long term plans and he'll be a regular before long.

24 year old dmen who have never once played an NHL game and don't have a lot of offensive upside are not worth 1st round picks in the open market. It's fine if you think he's worth that based on your extensive scouting of KHL games.... but it ain't happening.

Reactions: voxel

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
24 year old dmen who have never once played an NHL game and don't have a lot of offensive upside are not worth 1st round picks in the open market. It's fine if you think he's worth that based on your extensive scouting of KHL games.... but it ain't happening.
I think he played in the playoffs last year and looked solid

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Generically sure. But Gavrikov isn't a generic player. I think at minimum he would fetch a late 1st on the market, possibly a mid first.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I highly doubt he's going anywhere. The CBJ will rotate on the bottom pair and if Nuti and Harrington don't look better moving forward Gavrikov will have a regular spot soon enough.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Nuti is a lefty but often plays the right side. I wonder how long the splitting of Jones and Werenski lasts before they go back to Werenski-Jones Murray-Nutivaara Gavrikov/Kukan-Savard.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
He looked very good in the preseason (was ok in the playoffs as well) and is still pretty young (will be 24 in November), has all the tools to become one of the top defensive defenseman in the league, and his size is ok (6'3, 214 lb). The problem is, he's behind Werensky, Murray and Nutivaara on Columbus, and I doubt he'll get a lot of playing time. And he's on the last year of his ELC, and if they don't give him a chance to show himself and sign a nice contract, he'll just get back to the KHL.

I don't think, his trade value is high, so if there's a team, that needs a good defensive LD, it has a chance to solve some of its problems.
that will be a good choice.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Nuti is a lefty but often plays the right side. I wonder how long the splitting of Jones and Werenski lasts before they go back to Werenski-Jones Murray-Nutivaara Gavrikov/Kukan-Savard.

plus torts has this weird love for scott harrington

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Generically sure. But Gavrikov isn't a generic player. I think at minimum he would fetch a late 1st on the market, possibly a mid first.
Who knows, but I have to think if you can't beat out Scott Harrington and Dean Kukan, then nobody is going to give up any kind of 1st.

It's one thing for a 19 or 20 year old who is unproven with potential to grow to fetch that return... but again.. 24 and sitting... for whatever reason... that hurts his value to other teams. If he's worth that to Columbus that's fine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who knows, but I have to think if you can't beat out Scott Harrington and Dean Kukan, then nobody is going to give up any kind of 1st.

It's one thing for a 19 or 20 year old who is unproven with potential to grow to fetch that return... but again.. 24 and sitting... for whatever reason... that hurts his value to other teams. If he's worth that to Columbus that's fine.

The theory from some folks in Columbus is that Harrington is getting first crack because he's on the outs, they're trying to see if they should keep him or showcasing him or something. He's clearly behind the other two. And Kukan is a pretty darn good player who probably isn't ahead of Gavrikov. I also think teams will value Gavrikov based on watching him play, not on his usage. HF fans on the mains though, they'll value based on usage because they obviously don't watch him play. :D

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

I’m completely with you. Defensive dmen are an old breed. Many teams are drafting D high with offensive upside.

Maybe he becomes the next Jan Hedja though?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The question should really be about Nutivaara. Markus is on a great value contract, and can be used as a trade chip to get a good forward in a package.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
If he was worth a 1st, he would have been in that lineup. I like Gavrikov a lot, but I don't know if he's that kind of impact. We'll see down the road here, maybe he is.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I find it unlikely that he is the one traded out of Columbus’s surplus of LDs. More of a relative unknown compared to Murray and Nutivaara. He has a lot more upside than Harrington and Kukan but I don’t think his value around the league is there yet until he gets established.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It takes a lot of pretzel logic to think that John Tortorella is playing his 8th dman because he wants to "showcase him".

Occam's Razor- Torts is playing Harrington because he thinks that he gives him a better chance to win than Kukan or Gavrikov. He may be wrong, but he watches the guy more than anyone here.. especially since none of us can actually watch Gavrikov play right now.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It takes a lot of pretzel logic to think that John Tortorella is playing his 8th dman because he wants to "showcase him".

Occam's Razor- Torts is playing Harrington because he thinks that he gives him a better chance to win than Kukan or Gavrikov. He may be wrong, but he watches the guy more than anyone here.. especially since none of us can actually watch Gavrikov play right now.
Well Harrington and Nutti are on the bench tonight. Gavrikov and Kukan are in. So that didn't last long.

My money is on Gavrikov solidifying his spot in the lineup tonight.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Occam's Razor - 100% of the fans and 100% of the media that commented on the D battle in camp thought Harrington was dead last among the three. He wasn't even reliable. There's probably another reason why he played first last night.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Well if he is worth 1 founder, well what is Copp worth, 3 first rounders, you add if you want Copp...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad