Confirmed with Link: Vladislav Gavrikov signs 2 year contract extension

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Vilardi has never once exhibited the ability to be a #1 center in the NHL. He only salvaged his career by moving to wing. And he's great in that position. His lack of foot speed doesn't get exposed, and his ability to stickhandle under pressure and make plays out of nothing shines.

Summer 2021

Did not make playoffs.

Summer 2022

Lost in seven games in the first round.

Summer 2023

Lost in six games in the first round.

Depends on his conditioning...and skating, I think he's fine as a W....and thats where he makes his career.....
I agree - I think he's great at W, but he could probably fill in at C if needed.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Even at wing this year, Vilardi went through some major lulls.

A center has to cover more of the ice. As of now, Gabe hasn't shown the stamina required to cover the position over a larger sample size. Maybe that will change eventually?

When on his game he's extremally impactful. If he could maintain some semblance of that level of play more consistently he could be a star.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Vilardi's big thing was getting healthy and gaining confidence. Pretty sure they can use him at Center if needed. Besides, Kopitar has 1 year left on his contract and I would expect him to re-sign for another couple. Byfield is still only 20. How about we wait and see how the next couple years of development shake out before pulling the zip cord?
It’s pretty impressive how people like you make it sound like the Kings drafted Byfield when he was 12. Kopitar in his teens undressed Pronger in his first game in the NHL quicker than his wife ever could. Byfield has shown that he’s nowhere close to Vilardi’s skill level. Vilardi even before he took a big step forward the signs were there because you could easily see he was very skilled. Just slow.

If you’re trying to tell me that Byfield has shown he’s even close to Vilardi in terms of talent than I have a bridge I am willing to sell just to you. For a great price.

Byfield is nearly 21 and has shown very little displays of high end talent so what the hell are you waiting on really? Vilardi showed a lot of talent even when he was playing poorly.

Shit Yakupov was a bust and he showed a lot more prowess in his early years in the NHL. Why are you so sure of yourself when there’s such little to go off that suggests byfield has a high ceiling. There’s a lot pointing towards Byfield being an underwhelming player than anything.

Vilardi is by far the best forward from the rebuild which is why Blake has done poorly. This is why the team is so veteran reliant. They failed at developing and drafting high end talent.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He actually like to run laps on the field because there’s nothing more fun for him than going in circles.

Or whatever machine he can convince that he knows better than it.
hint: type of machine..that should help

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Gavrikov has to be the most costly acquisition since Gretzky.

A first, a second, a third, Grans and just under $8M; all effectively for the main piece from a Kings perspective. All for a guy who slots behind Mikey Anderson. Brutal.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

A first, a second, a third, Grans and just under $8M; all effectively for the main piece from a Kings perspective. All for a guy who slots behind Mikey Anderson. Brutal.
It is Bleak but in fairness most of the assets were used to snort yayo at the deadline (contend-pretend) and to clear cap a few days ago.

Reactions: David Lunch

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

Fiala?

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso

The Peterson/Walker cap dump happens regardless of the Gavrikov signing, if they're trying to sign any other UFA LHD.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

You're choosing to assign those assets to Gavrikov. You could just as easily assign them Moore or Vilardi or even Arvidsson or Fiala ect.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Glad to see Blake made a move. Will say I thought he was going to back himself in a corner and then lose out on Gav. I'm good w the signing. Not too long of term either. Next up, gotta get a goalie. Korpi is gonna skate somewhere else, hopefully not Anaheim but we'll see where he lands.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This might sound crazy, but I think people actually under-rate Fiala as an addition/player.
I think it's the exact opposite. There's people around here who talk about him as if he's some sort of game changing super star. He's not. He's just a good scoring winger. That's it.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

Not sure it's fair to say the 2nd/Grans/$8M is attributable to Gavrikov. Even if they hadn't traded for him and wanted to re-sign him they'd still need to trade Walker to make room for younger RHD coming in, as well as both Cal/Walker to clear cap space to sign a LHD, even if it wasn't Gavrikov.

Not that any of this excuses Blake, as the 2nd and Grans were traded to pay a team to take his mistake signings away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad