News: Vladislav Gavrikov is the latest ''trade-related'' scratch

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This is bogus. It's one thing if the trade is done in principal, and the teams are just waiting on the formal paperwork. But just holding a player out because he might be traded eventually is dumb.
It's not dumb and given CBJ already had an issue with Nyquist getting hurt I'm sure they don't want to risk another asset. They have very few to move this year and he's a high end asset. It sucks, yes, but it makes sense and is not dumb.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Gary Bettman had it right: there's no tanking by the coaches and players. But man, do the GMs give it their best shot.

How far will GMs go with this trend? Maybe next season someone will sit a player for "trade reasons" starting at training camp and flush the whole season away?
except, this isn't about tanking. This team with or without Gavrikov is not going to change their fortune in the last 29 games or so. This team has been decimated by injuries to the point they are already icing 1/2 an AHL team. Does it hurt more? Sure, he's our best current defenseman. He's also one of the highest rated assets to move that isn't going to sign. He would be playing if Columbus was anywhere close to competing but at this point they don't want Nyquist 2.0 so they'll hold him out. Beyond Chychrun there isn't another D that can provide the value and limited cap hit that Gavy does. This makes sense.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Fair enough... yet the ask of Chychrun is still two firsts, and a decent prospect. The 2024 would likely need protection.... and probably end up a 2025 pick. It's still a rich pickup, for a team who should be using these assets to build within.
They are flush with assets (Top 5 prospect pool and only going to add this year)... injuries too. I get the point but this is actually a path that would make some sense. Unfortunately I don't think the timing to do this would be the trade deadline for the CBJ. May not matter given the state of the current defense.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Oilers shouldn't worry about whether a deadline guy is going to re-sign or not. Fix that D, get somebody in place, even as a rental, the West is prime for the taking THIS year.

This makes a lot of sense when you're talking about someone like Karlsson. Not so much when it's Gavrikov.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Surely the CBA's grievance procedure doesn't include roster decisions though? Scratching players, for any reason, seems like SOP in the NHL. It's not like it would impact their pay?

What’s stopping a team from shutting down their player a month out before the trade deadline just to play it safe and help the tank? That’s a month that would hurt the player’s salary negotiation position in UFA.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Columbus should have signed him now they are going to eat their own Crap cause not one will give into the demands of a 1stRounder,2nd Rounder and 3rd Rounder that's asinine for a rental. Gavrikov will go to the highest bidder during Free Agency and he looks to be a pretty good top 4 D-man to me

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
What’s stopping a team from shutting down their player a month out before the trade deadline just to play it safe and help the tank? That’s a month that would hurt the player’s salary negotiation position in UFA.
That's what I'm asking. Is there CBA language preventing specifically this? I would be surprised but I don't know anything about the nhl cba. I wouldn't expect to see any contract have a clause that says "you cannot pay someone not to work to help your organizational future". Some players spend the better part of a year in the press box. Maybe this would have come up with taxi squads during covid?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Reading Pierre Lebrun's Article, I'm pretty convinced Gavrikov will be the guy who ends up with the Oilers. I could see they doing a deal around Picks+Puljujarvi for Gavrikov+Nyquist(LTIR until playoffs)

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Reading Pierre Lebrun's Article, I'm pretty convinced Gavrikov will be the guy who ends up with the Oilers. I could see they doing a deal around Picks+Puljujarvi for Gavrikov+Nyquist(LTIR until playoffs)

The wild thing about that is that even without retention there is more cap coming from the Edmonton side. The Jackets could easily retain half and it will be $1.4m total for Gavrikov and Nyquist, $3m for JP.

Gavrikov @50%
Nyquist @0%

For

1st rounder
Conditional 4th (becomes 3rd with 10+ gp for Nyquist, becomes 2nd rounder with 15+ gp)
Puljujarvi

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I think the Bruins might get more bang for the back out of upgrading Smith than upgrading Forbort, so does that leave them with anything to do that? Sounds like the Blues want a first for Barbashev too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad