Vizio tvs [good or meh]

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
So I'm looking for a new tv for the man cave in the 40-43" range [ the spot for it won't fit anything larger] . I've been looking at the VIZIO v-series along with other brands and wanted to know if anyone has one or something similar in that range that performs well when watching hockey and movies. Not a gamer so I won't be using it for that. .I'd like to keep the price low so any of the high end Sony's are out.

Sep 19, 2008
Vizio is okay but personally I'd go with a Samsung. HDTV's are so cheap these days you could find a good brand for a good price especially if it's only 40-43 inches.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I've owned my Vizio since 2015, so I can't really speak to modern ones....

That said, my 2015 model has been great for the last 5 years, with a few minor issues: The app support, etc. is terrible (it was 2015 after all) so it barely qualifies as "Smart", and it decides to assert the TV speakers over my sound system for no reason at random intervals....but other than that it's been pretty solid.

At the time, it was a good price/performance option.

I also can't really speak to watching hockey on it (I typically use my computer monitor) but it does well with movies.

For modern TVs on the cheap, I would also consider checking out TCLs. They are also budget TVs, but in my personal experience (family members who have purchased them) they are pretty decent, and also come with built-in Roku for their Smart features.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If you are looking at budget tier, Vizio and TCLs are good. TCL has built int Roku TV which makes everything really convenient. With that size you should be looking at the low 200s, maybe lower if you can find a deal or sale.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If you are looking at budget tier, Vizio and TCLs are good. TCL has built int Roku TV which makes everything really convenient. With that size you should be looking at the low 200s, maybe lower if you can find a deal or sale.
I currently have a TCL tv and will never get a tv without the Roku interface again. Had a Samsung and it sucked compared to the TCL/Roku. Was very dated and the app menus were pretty bad imo.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
TBH I'm not a visual snob with TVs so I'm not a good judge of that. They've always looked fine to me.

I will say thought I haaaaaaaaaaa88te visio's menus.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A cool thing about the Roku interface is that you can run the Roku app on one of your other devices (like a phone or tablet) and use that device as a remote. You can also enter text from the device and send the audio from the TV to it so that you can listen through headphones. I've used all of those features and they just work. The Roku folks know what they're doing.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I got a 22-inch Vizio 10 years ago when I moved into college and this thing is still running strong. Picture isn't as great as something you'd get on a modern version, obviously, but it's been very reliable. I've traveled around with this thing a LOT (and continue to take it around) and it's never had any issue. I know most people don't really move their TVs around, but the durability of this little Vizio has really shocked me.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Yeah, I'm look at 300 dollar range. The only issue with tcl are the lack of inputs that I need [I still need 1 component] and that weak remote.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, I'm look at 300 dollar range. The only issue with tcl are the lack of inputs that I need [I still need 1 component] and that weak remote.
You should even be able to get one of the name-brand tvs at that price. When I was in college I even got a Westinghouse because it was dirt cheap and I had success with it. I think tv tech is to a point where if your expectations are just a basic tv to get the job done, any of them can get the job done.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You should even be able to get one of the name-brand tvs at that price. When I was in college I even got a Westinghouse because it was dirt cheap and I had success with it. I think tv tech is to a point where if your expectations are just a basic tv to get the job done, any of them can get the job done.

Yeah, that how I feel too. I want one with decent black and can handle sports. It doesn't have to be the best and as long as it gets the job done, I'm cool with it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I’ve bought a Vizio and an LG at the low end. The LG has better picture quality but both have horrific menus and built-in app functionality. I bought a Fire Stick for each one.

Reactions: kingsfan28

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Eh, I know some people hate Vizios but thats all I go for once my college room flooded, my tv was literally half in the water, I poured the water out (literally poured), let it dry and plugged it in for it to work fully for 3-4 more years after. I've had 1 issue with my current Vizio (5 years old). I replaced the internal parts which was super easy for $60 and it is acting brand new again. We also have one in bedroom that is 4 years old and zero issues.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I got a 22-inch Vizio 10 years ago when I moved into college and this thing is still running strong. Picture isn't as great as something you'd get on a modern version, obviously, but it's been very reliable. I've traveled around with this thing a LOT (and continue to take it around) and it's never had any issue. I know most people don't really move their TVs around, but the durability of this little Vizio has really shocked me.
Update on this television. I thought I jinxed myself with the comment above, because one of my cats knocked it off the TV stand yesterday.

I didn't see how it fell but it was starting to bust open at the top "seam"... I literally snapped it back together and away we go, powered up, screen works fine everything's fine. Man, what a tank.

Reactions: sa cyred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad