Larry Brooks: Vitaly Kravtsov headed back to the KHL

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He's not coming back. Blame whoever you want but he clearly did not have a good time here. He also clearly does not want to play in the AHL and the Rangers are never going to guarantee him a roster spot on the big club.

Put all those factors together and then consider that his option "B", i.e. the KHL is not a bad option at all from his perspective. He gets to make a ton of money over there, be a star player and surround himself with friends and family. He' s going to give all that up to come back and play for Hartford again? I don't blame him at all by the way but I'm just not as optimistic as those who are brushing all this off like it's no big deal and he's definitely going to be back in the States in no time.
He has to come back, he’s under contract

Reactions: Rangers743

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Would we be as visceral towards said Millennial’s character (or lack thereof) if the shoe were on the other foot though?
I mean say some 19 y.o. kid from Minnesota or wherever signed with SKA, but was sent to develop in some godforsaken middle of nowhere Russian city’s VHL team without much of a support system other than ‘go learn the KHL style’.
Yea I dunno

I can't speak to anyone else, but I was just joking re: the flowbee thing. Dead serious about the animated Transformers though. That thing was like Kill Bill but with beloved childhood cartoons.

Seriously, the kid is just 19. Regardless of background, 19 year olds often have some growing up to do.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I don't even think Rykov is in Hartford. He's probably rehabbing in NY. They can't send him down to Hartford until he's healthy.

Karp has mentioned several times that Rykov is rehabbing his ankle in Hartford. Probably better to be around younger players. Someone also mentioned (might have been Carp) that he might be assigned to Maine once he's able to play again. I don't think I've seen any confirmation of the type of ankle injury Rykov suffered, but it really sounds like a high ankle sprain--it's an awful injury, bones heal faster sometimes. Painful too.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
And sit at home and do nothing.

The Rangers are not going to recall him during the season unless they intend to put him on the NHL roster (which is unlikely). On the other hand, once his season is over, why not assign him to Hartford if it helps them make the playoffs?
Until he gets traded, yes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's not coming back. Blame whoever you want but he clearly did not have a good time here. He also clearly does not want to play in the AHL and the Rangers are never going to guarantee him a roster spot on the big club.

Put all those factors together and then consider that his option "B", i.e. the KHL is not a bad option at all from his perspective. He gets to make a ton of money over there, be a star player and surround himself with friends and family. He' s going to give all that up to come back and play for Hartford again? I don't blame him at all by the way but I'm just not as optimistic as those who are brushing all this off like it's no big deal and he's definitely going to be back in the States in no time.
So he’s going to retire? He doesn’t have an out clause next year.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
He has to come back, he’s under contract

Just like how Adam Fox had to play another year in college or play for the Hurricanes right?

It's amazing how no matter the amount of times we have seen players find ways around their contractual obligations people still pretend like it's some sort of indentured servitude they have no way of ever working around.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just like how Adam Fox had to play another year in college or play for the Hurricanes right?

It's amazing how no matter the amount of times we have seen players find ways around their contractual obligations people still pretend like it's some sort of indentured servitude that they have no way of ever working around.
Fox of course could be traded, just like Kravtsov. But the point here is that Kravtsov has a contract to play in the NHL next year, and unless we trade him for absolute pennies to a team that will let him stay in the KHL another year, he is contractually obligated to report to his NHL team next season.

If he told the Rangers he wasn't going to report, I fully expect they'd treat him like Nick Jensen and just hold onto his rights until they expired. I don't think Gorton would allow a prospect to dictate the situation to him.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

It's amazing how no matter the amount of times we have seen players find ways around their contractual obligations people still pretend like it's some sort of indentured servitude that they have no way of ever working around.
Except that he's got no "college" to go play for while waiting for his contract with the Rangers to run out. The KHL and NHL have agreed to respect each other's contracts, and Vitaly's only provides an EAC for him returning to Russia this year. So, either he plays for the Rangers organization next year and the year thereafter... or he plays nowhere. :dunno:

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Tonsurephobia
Fear of Getting a Haircut Phobia - Tonsurephobia'.

The fear is real.
50-Hairstyles-These-People-Will-2Regret-Forever.jpg

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Fox of course could be traded, just like Kravtsov. But the point here is that Kravtsov has a contract to play in the NHL next year, and unless we trade him for absolute pennies to a team that will let him stay in the KHL another year, he is contractually obligated to report to his NHL team next season.

If he told the Rangers he wasn't going to report, I fully expect they'd treat him like Nick Jensen and just hold onto his rights until they expired. I don't think Gorton would allow a prospect to dictate the situation to him.

His comments since he has left just do not scream to me someone who sees this as a temporary, "I'm going to go home for a bit and prove myself in another pro league before coming back and ripping up the AHL" kind of deal. It seems to me like someone who is just glad to get out of here, go home and put his whole experience here behind him. I hate the old tried and true boring hockey truisms and I love that European players are a little bit more comfortable being honest with the media but I think if his immediate goal was to come back and fight his way to the NHL then we would have heard him say something to that effect. If he has then I must have missed it.

There are always ways around contractual issues if the player wants it badly enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad