Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov (RW)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
With Tkachuk, Stuetzle, Formenton, Jarventie, Paul & maybe Chlapik at LW who exactly does Abramov or Balcers replace? With Batherson, Dadonov, C. Brown, Pinto, Sokolov, maybe White & maybe another RW drafted in next yr's draft where do Abramov & Balcers fit in exactly? Unless they are moved to another NHL team that is willing to give them a decent shot at an NHL job IMO they either stay in the AHL or much more likely they end up going back to Europe to play.

Does anyone think they can beat out the guys ahead of them, not to mention the guys they continue to draft? IMO Jarventie & Sokolov are both already ahead of those guys, but Abramov I think has a chance to make an NHL roster, I just don't think it's this one. They could get another cup of coffee at the NHL level this yr, but my guess would be that it would be to increase their value & make them available for other teams to see. I just don't see them here long term.

Sokolov hasn't played a single pro game yet. Jarventie has and he's looked good but 8 games isn't enough. Balcers and Abramov have been dominant in really good pro leagues. Balcers and Abramov are ahead of those guys at the very least.

Abramov is starting to look really interesting. He's absolutely tearing up the Finnish league. If you listen to some Blue Jackets fans (for some reason I know a few) he was close to making their team two years ago. I think he's ahead of someone like Pinto too (not necessarily as an end product) in the sense that he might be an NHL player before Pinto even plays in the AHL.

Balcers needs to stay healthy this year and make his mark.

We do have too many forward prospects though. At some point we'll need to move out some wingers. Someone like Nick Paul may no longer have a role here within a year, or maybe Balcers or even Batherson or Formenton. All these guys are unknowns at the NHL level (to some degree). A guy like Abramov still has a good chance at being a big contributor for this team.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sokolov hasn't played a single pro game yet. Jarventie has and he's looked good but 8 games isn't enough. Balcers and Abramov have been dominant in really good pro leagues. Balcers and Abramov are ahead of those guys at the very least.

Abramov is starting to look really interesting. He's absolutely tearing up the Finnish league. If you listen to some Blue Jackets fans (for some reason I know a few) he was close to making their team two years ago. I think he's ahead of someone like Pinto too (not necessarily as an end product) in the sense that he might be an NHL player before Pinto even plays in the AHL.

Balcers needs to stay healthy this year and make his mark.

We do have too many forward prospects though. At some point we'll need to move out some wingers. Someone like Nick Paul may no longer have a role here within a year, or maybe Balcers or even Batherson or Formenton. All these guys are unknowns at the NHL level (to some degree). A guy like Abramov still has a good chance at being a big contributor for this team.

Given this coach, given some of the big tough players they have signed & drafted & given that Toronto & Montreal have gotten bigger & tougher do you still think either Balcers, Abramov or even Davidsson has a shot of being on a future team full time? I just don't see it. If Nick Paul is going to be replaced it will probably be by Formenton or Jarventie not Balcers or Abramov on the bottom six. It seems to me, this yr anyway or at this time that the NHL is transitioning to bigger tougher players again especially in the East. It seems to be part of the blueprint to win the SC. Just an opinion though, I guess we'll see soon enough.

Reactions: Sweatred

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Given this coach, given some of the big tough players they have signed & drafted & given that Toronto & Montreal have gotten bigger & tougher do you still think either Balcers, Abramov or even Davidsson has a shot of being on a future team full time? I just don't see it. If Nick Paul is going to be replaced it will probably be by Formenton or Jarventie not Balcers or Abramov on the bottom six. It seems to me, this yr anyway or at this time that the NHL is transitioning to bigger tougher players again especially in the East. It seems to be part of the blueprint to win the SC. Just an opinion though, I guess we'll see soon enough.

Unlike Maclean or Boucher, I believe there is some method to his madness. Hes trying to develop the prospects properly, and when they play as hard as hes asking them to, they will get the minutes needed to flourish. Regardless of how big they are - you dont need size or have to be physically punishing people to play hard hockey.

If he was legitimately holding back good young players that were ready and willing, and the team still continues to struggle to score because we roll out grinders for 20mins every night, then he gets fired. No doubt about it. Every one of these players is someone that Dorion has personally acquired.

But for now, with no immediate need to start scoring goals or pressure to win now, Im completely for the idea of making sure the kids all have a hardworking mindset by the time they earn a full time spot in the NHL. Its worth the early going pain if you can afford to be patient with the process.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I tend to agree with you. I think there might be a spot for one of those three (Balcers, Abramov, Davidson) but not all three. Just look at our drafts under Dorion and Mann, the organization clearly values size. If the sens had a supremely skilled smaller/softer guy like Kane or Gaudreau or Debrincat then they would obviously make an exception but these guys aren’t up there. Between them, I think Abramov seems most likely to have a longer NHL career in Ottawa to me as he’s fearless in the high danger areas.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Our coach likes players that play hard. JGP was given big minutes. Ditto for Connor Brown. If players like Abramov (he already plays hard) and Balcers (he needs to work harder, IMO) work hard and play well they'll get a chance. If 6'6 Logan Brown loafs it out there, he's going to Belleville. I don't think size will play a factor, especially now that we've committed, for better or worse, to players like Watson, Gudbranson and Brown.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
If Abromov continues to produce in Finland, I would like to see the Sens give the 22-year old a shot at more big league games this season. He has only appeared in 3 games during the last two Sens campaigns. An all-Russian line of Abromov, Anisimov and Dadonov could be highly productive.

Reactions: variable26

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If Abromov continues to produce in Finland, I would like to see the Sens give the 22-year old a shot at more big league games this season. He has only appeared in 3 games during the last two Sens campaigns. An all-Russian line of Abromov, Anisimov and Dadonov could be highly productive.
I don’t think you pay dadonov 5 million a year to play with anisimov and abramov

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I know for a fact that Nathan Gerbe is not 5'4 lol

That's what he is listed at on all sites. I was under the impression he was 5'6 but couldn't find that anywhere. Obvious there are inconsistencies in listed heights. Wether abramov is 5'10, 5'9, 5'8 whatever you want to believe, he is one of the smaller players on the ice.

Well Meyers is definately 6'8 so take what you will from this image...

bYMHYsDMIqKqt3Wq214Epi9mDdF_X0wPXhA44iSt-uo.jpg

I came across this tweet by Gerbe and remembered the above conversation ^^^

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Why is it always leaf fans? I mean I get there are more of them but the percentage that are completely out to lunch seems way higher than any other group.

No, they just consume more oxygen so they're more noticeable

Look at below the 49th. There's more idiots down there than we've got people up here so sometimes it seems like all they've got are idiots

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Our coach likes players that play hard. JGP was given big minutes. Ditto for Connor Brown. If players like Abramov (he already plays hard) and Balcers (he needs to work harder, IMO) work hard and play well they'll get a chance. If 6'6 Logan Brown loafs it out there, he's going to Belleville. I don't think size will play a factor, especially now that we've committed, for better or worse, to players like Watson, Gudbranson and Brown.

We clearly have different views on this, I don't think it's fair to compare JGP or C. Brown with Abramov's development though. JGP is an established NHL player who they needed to play a lot to increase his value since they were planning on moving him & Brown played for Smith so he knew him & wanted him. Abramov probably needs someone in this org to give him a shot & with so many others ahead of him I'm not sure he gets it here & I don't see all three of Balcers, Abramov or Davidsson being on this team long term, but agree that Abramov could be the best of the three.

L. Brown plays centre, as you know it's a pretty important position & he is highly skilled though lacks drive & our division has some big centres. I don't see any relationship between those two players & completely different career paths, but I understand your point. They have only committed to those three you mentioned for one or two yrs when they won't be competitive & more so IMO to protect their assets until some of the younger guys can step up. We'll see, I'm not sure about Abramov or the other two, but you clearly are, should be interesting but time is running out.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
We clearly have different views on this, I don't think it's fair to compare JGP or C. Brown with Abramov's development though. JGP is an established NHL player who they needed to play a lot to increase his value since they were planning on moving him & Brown played for Smith so he knew him & wanted him. Abramov probably needs someone in this org to give him a shot & with so many others ahead of him I'm not sure he gets it here & I don't see all three of Balcers, Abramov or Davidsson being on this team long term, but agree that Abramov could be the best of the three.

L. Brown plays centre, as you know it's a pretty important position & he is highly skilled though lacks drive & our division has some big centres. I don't see any relationship between those two players & completely different career paths, but I understand your point. They have only committed to those three you mentioned for one or two yrs when they won't be competitive & more so IMO to protect their assets until some of the younger guys can step up. We'll see, I'm not sure about Abramov or the other two, but you clearly are, should be interesting but time is running out.

Yes we clearly have different views on this. DJ was quite high on Abramov in training camp so I'd say he has at least one ally in the organization. HIs AHL coach seems to like him too.

Why is time running out Abramov but not Brown though? They are the same age. Brown has the higher pedigree due to his draft spot but has been sliding on the prospect depth chart while Abramov has been on the rise. I like Brown's chance of making it to the NHL but I like Abramov's too. They may not be in direct competition but if Brown loafs out there and Abramov gives it everything then I doubt the coaching staff will take Brown but not Abramov.

As for comparing Abramov and Pageau? Well for several years you told everyone that JGP was not an NHL player because he was behind players like Derek Grant, Jakub Culek and Cole Schneider. And you said it for the same reasons you're saying it with Abramov.

I don't think that if Abramov plays a little better than he did last year that our coaching staff will say: "I don't care that he's the best player on the ice, he's only 5'9" and play some plug like Logan Shaw in his place. If our management team picks their team based on size alone we will be in the basement for a LONG time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I always saw Abramov as a boom or bust for the NHL level but I don't know... This guy seems to have an "it" factor, like he will always be able to figure it out. It could be with another team though as there will be a major log jam in Ottawa as opportunities might be very short.

Why is it always leaf fans? I mean I get there are more of them but the percentage that are completely out to lunch seems way higher than any other group.

I don't know, I don't live in Ontario and I don't read Leafs forums. Realistically, it might be proportionally split among Canadian fanbases (probably even worse in USA), the "spoiled child syndrome" is everywhere, particularly in occidental countries.

As I live in Quebec, I know Habs fans have a bad reputation but seriously every Habs fan I personally know is totally reasonnable. However I don't know their every thought and what they might say on the internet anonymity.

But I think in that Gerbe case, it shows what I have been trying to say forever, NHL players certainly care about what people say of them, like most people naturally would. I mean, it's perfectly understandable if they don't like to see random people make fun of them, bash them or just direspect them.

But the good news is there is a big consciousness wave about all this. A lot of popular people have developed mental issues and/or closed their social medias account(s) because of people's stupid behavior on the internet. And with all the other social changes, the world is changing. But hey, we're not out of the woods yet.

Given the context of the discussion, I found it quite funny.

I don't know, stupidity can be funny but it depends. For me that situation was more facepalm inducing than anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samsquanch

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He’s probably a better RW than White. He’s done more in the AHL playing 2-3RW and continues to develop.

I’d love to see the Sens give VA a shot but he has a log jam ahead of him.

Reactions: Frank8

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Isn’t Abramov a LW ? When did he move to the right side.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I must be misremembering as I was sure he was playing the left side in Belleville when I saw him year before last. Either way, I think he has a shot in the next couple years, he has skill and a nice competitive streak from what I saw in person. A little small and not the fastest guy but isn’t scared to get dirty.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think both Abramov and Balcers would have seen considerably more time in Ottawa last year were it not for ill timed injuries which likely led to getting Namestikov

They are both playing and obviously other Belleville guys are not

There's going to be some interesting battles at camp for spots and how guys used this time off is going to be crucial

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There's going to be some interesting battles at camp for spots and how guys used this time off is going to be crucial

Not really, I bet VA outplays a few guys with 1 way contracts but that’s where it will stop.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad