Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov - RW/LW

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't know why people are comparing him to yakupov. Abramovs best attributes is by far is his hockey iq. what remains to be seen is if he can get fast and strong enough for NHL hockey.

good thing is that he seems to have that stone/scheifele mentality of breathing hockey, that bodes well for his development.

personally he reminds me of a left handed alfredsson in the offensive zone. a playmaking goal scorer who drives the net. type of player who makes his linemates better.

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
He does rebounds, he drives to the net, not afraid to be hit - prototypical Canadian player with a high hockey IQ and tonnes of skills Can not wait what him and Balcers can do together in AHL. I hope they will send him down. Balcers on the other hand, does not drive to the net and a perimeter player.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For those upset about Abramov's AHL numbers,Colin White had a mediocre season in his first year in the AHL, and now he's playing like a top 6 forward in the NHL.

I think White was 2nd in ppg on the team.. No one put up close to a pt a game on Belleville last year

Belleville last year will be like the Sens going forward this year and next year.. Anybody putting up .6 pt/game is going to look like a star

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think White was 2nd in ppg on the team.. No one put up close to a pt a game on Belleville last year
White was coming off a broken wrist to start the season, wasn't he? Had a slow start if I recall.

For what it's worth, I think I read that Abramov had off-season wrist surgery, so maybe he also is having a slow start because of injuries.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Abramov was getting the Boucher treatment quite a bit in Cleveland.

Play 3rd or 4th line minutes and learn how to "be a pro"; "work on his game away from the puck"; "work on the details"; "be more of a 200 foot player".

All euphemisms for making a young player play with scrubs, cut their ice time and give them very little offensive opportunities.

Work with some Columbus folk from time to time and many of the fans thought he should be their 2-3 RW by the start of next season.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Abramov was getting the Boucher treatment quite a bit in Cleveland.

Play 3rd or 4th line minutes and learn how to "be a pro"; "work on his game away from the puck"; "work on the details"; "be more of a 200 foot player".

All euphemisms for making a young player play with scrubs, cut their ice time and give them very little offensive opportunities.

Work with some Columbus folk from time to time and many of the fans thought he should be their 2-3 RW by the start of next season.

More like the KK treatment of Francis Perron

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
...what remains to be seen is if he can get fast and strong enough for NHL hockey.

From what I remember of him from his days in the Q, he's got the speed and the willingness to get into the dirty areas of the ice enough to play in the NHL.

Issues IMO are strength (like you said) and he's a legit defensive liability. The 2nd one can be coached, the 1st one I have no idea if it will be an issue until I see him in some NHL games.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This kid is very good. Got a stud here I think.

I need to see more personally before I can go that far. But Im happily suprised so far that I seem to have been dead wrong on the quality of Abramov and Balcers status as a prospect.

Ive shifted from "long shot at best" to "legit prospects" on both of these guys. Even if they dont end up being true top 6 guys, the best teams in the league today have talented guys like them spread throughout the lineup to help create a balanced attack - like the Zack Hymans and Conor Browns of the world.

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I liked his game, at his age and considering the short notice. I like 85, and he skates like Duchene. Sometimes I thought it was Duchene!

Reactions: Brannstorm

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Certainly not NHL ready, but I loved the energy he brought.

But he needs at least another full season in the AHL to hone his game.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Has Perron made the NHL yet? He's in his 3rd AHL season & has yet to play a single NHL game. Interesting.

Sharks are pretty stacket, no? I have a soft spot for Perron, having watched him in Rouyn...

also saw Abramov in Gatineau a few times and loved his game back then, he stood out in the games I saw him.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Would be amazing if Abramov turned out to be Ottawa's Martin St. Louis.

Not getting my hopes up at all, but there are some similarities in their game/attitude along with the obvious height comparison.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Would be amazing if Abramov turned out to be Ottawa's Martin St. Louis.

Not getting my hopes up at all, but there are some similarities in their game/attitude along with the obvious height comparison.

That would be nice. He certainly was noticeable, which is a good thing for a true rookie

Reactions: Silencio

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
From what I saw in Calgary, he is willing to get dirty and engage with opposition for puck battles. It is a good start at least.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
These are not promising statements.

I think they're realistic though. I kinda like the Conacher comparison.

I don't think he has top 6 potential, but I'm quite encouraged by his energy and willingness to battle, which means he could hack it at the NHL level as a bottom 6 guy for a while. Which is more than you can say about someone like Filly (don't do rebounds).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sharks are pretty stacket, no? I have a soft spot for Perron, having watched him in Rouyn...

also saw Abramov in Gatineau a few times and loved his game back then, he stood out in the games I saw him.

Of course, smaller players do well in minor leagues but this is the NHL where smaller players have to have tremendous speed, skill or shot to stick. There is certainly a possibility that a smaller player can turn out like Pageau or even Martin St Louis but there is also the possibility that they do not. Smaller players also need to be consistent at whatever it is that makes them good in the NHL.

But with every team it's a balance of all kinds of different players that all bring something to the mix & hopefully create a team dynamic that makes them successful. And Ottawa is just started headed down that road with this rebuild & I assume are trying out every prospect they have it seems to find the right combinations.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Has Perron made the NHL yet? He's in his 3rd AHL season & has yet to play a single NHL game. Interesting.
Kk was a crap coach is the point. He had zack stortini as his go to guy. Has stortini seen the nhl since?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad