OT: Visiting Vancouver

tooproforyou

Oct 12, 2008
so I'll be visiting Vancouver from Toronto next week and have been compiling a list of things to do. Since the majority of you are from there, I figure I'd get some first hand input as to what are some amazing must-see attractions (and maybe some things to avoid?) while I'm there. I've got lots of time to kill so any ideas are welcome. It's my first time visiting

thx!

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
I recommend you rent a bike someone on the seawall, it runs through many must see Vancouver attractions. Maybe rent a bike at the Convention Centre, that way you'll get to see in order Gastown, Canada Place, Coal Harbour, Stanley Park, English Bay, Yaletown, Science world, Olympic Village, Granville Island, and Vanier Park. If you spend enough time at each location, you probably won't be able to finish the entire bike ride though.

Lynn Canyon is quite pretty to visit too if you want a small taste of what BC has to offer in terms of nature. Lynn Canyon has a suspension bridge as well, so that will save you the cost of having to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge (IMHO is overpriced and underwhelming). Maybe hike the Grouse Grind if you are into hiking, the Canucks prospects do it every year.

You should also visit Commercial Drive (aka The Strip) for food, there are a lot of good eateries along this street, check out La Mezcaleria, it has great Mexican food and a good atmosphere. Dolce Amore a block down from there has great Gelato as well, definitely worth checking out.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The Asian women in Vancouver are beautiful.

Aside from that Must-See-Attraction however, I'd visit the usual suspects (i.e. Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Science World, Canada Place, Queen Elizabeth Park, Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Garden, Playland, Vancouver Acquarium, etc.

Just type in 'Vancouver Tourist Attractions' on Google and you'll get some good ideas.

I'd also try and visit Vancouver Island (Victoria or Nanaimo) by taking BC Ferries. If possible, try and drive out West on Vancouver Island to Ucluelet or Tofino. If you're a beach guy, the waves there are incredible.

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
PNE for Sure!
Capilano Suspension Bridge in North Vancouver
Grouse Grind in North Vancouver
Stanley Park
Kitsilano Beach
Gas Town in Downtown Vancouver
Robson Street for Shopping

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I recommend you rent a bike someone on the seawall, it runs through many must see Vancouver attractions. Maybe rent a bike at the Convention Centre, that way you'll get to see in order Gastown, Canada Place, Coal Harbour, Stanley Park, English Bay, Yaletown, Science world, Olympic Village, Granville Island, and Vanier Park. If you spend enough time at each location, you probably won't be able to finish the entire bike ride though.

Lynn Canyon is quite pretty to visit too if you want a small taste of what BC has to offer in terms of nature. Lynn Canyon has a suspension bridge as well, so that will save you the cost of having to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge (IMHO is overpriced and underwhelming). Maybe hike the Grouse Grind if you are into hiking, the Canucks prospects do it every year.

You should also visit Commercial Drive (aka The Strip) for food, there are a lot of good eateries along this street, check out La Mezcaleria, it has great Mexican food and a good atmosphere. Dolce Amore a block down from there has great Gelato as well, definitely worth checking out.

Do what this guy said. Sounds like a fun day, maybe I'll join ya ;)

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Day trip to cathedral grove between qualicum beach and port Alberni

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Forget the grouse grind it you like hiking. Why suffer on a well trodden trail when there are plenty of nicer trails around.

I would head to Squamish and maybe do a few hikes over there. But definitely hit up the Howe Sound Brewery for some wonderful food and of course a few pints.

Steamworks Brewery is nice for an end of the day pint and if you get a nice window seat over looking the inlet and mountains its quite nice.

Tasting Room is nice for a selection of craft ales.

For evening cocktails hit up the Pourhouse which has awesome old timey cocktails when cocktails were strong and not sweet fruityness.

Hit up White Rock to see White Rock beach which has a nice 1 km long wooden pier. A nice place to the spend the day. There are some good restaurants there but also some **** ones. Grab a fish and chips at Montgomerys on East beach.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
The Asian women in Vancouver are beautiful.

Aside from that Must-See-Attraction however, I'd visit the usual suspects (i.e. Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Science World, Canada Place, Queen Elizabeth Park, Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Garden, Playland, Vancouver Acquarium, etc.

Just type in 'Vancouver Tourist Attractions' on Google and you'll get some good ideas.

I'd also try and visit Vancouver Island (Victoria or Nanaimo) by taking BC Ferries. If possible, try and drive out West on Vancouver Island to Ucluelet or Tofino. If you're a beach guy, the waves there are incredible.

No, they're not.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
The Ivanhoe is nice.

Do the former cops still own the place? Used to drink there all the time until about 2002ish when the old owners were forced to sell after lots of police presence in the bar nearly every night. They lost their license. When the bar re-opened it was run by former cops

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Forget the grouse grind it you like hiking. Why suffer on a well trodden trail when there are plenty of nicer trails around.

I would head to Squamish and maybe do a few hikes over there. But definitely hit up the Howe Sound Brewery for some wonderful food and of course a few pints.

Steamworks Brewery is nice for an end of the day pint and if you get a nice window seat over looking the inlet and mountains its quite nice.

Tasting Room is nice for a selection of craft ales.

For evening cocktails hit up the Pourhouse which has awesome old timey cocktails when cocktails were strong and not sweet fruityness.

Hit up White Rock to see White Rock beach which has a nice 1 km long wooden pier. A nice place to the spend the day. There are some good restaurants there but also some **** ones. Grab a fish and chips at Montgomerys on East beach.

All good.

The grouse grind is not a 'hike.' It's more of a 'fitness challenge.' If you want to enjoy nature, stop and take pictures, **** like that, it's not in the top 1,000 places you would go. But if you want to give it a go to test how fit you are...absolutely, have at 'er.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
UBC has the Museum of Anthropology with some nice exhibits (if you're so inclined. You can also head down to Wreck Beach (if you're so inclined) and stop in at Kits on the way to or from UBC.

Capilano, Granville Island and Stanley Park are best bets always.

There's also "Fly over Canada" at Canada Place.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

You mean, The Drive.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
PNE for Sure!
Capilano Suspension Bridge in North Vancouver
Grouse Grind in North Vancouver <-- If you're not athletic, skip this one
Stanley Park
Kitsilano Beach
Gas Town in Downtown Vancouver
Robson Street for Shopping

This list is decent, but I'd add Granville Island.

I'd emphasize going down to Gastown for a meal. Six Acres is good. Some nicer restaurants around there.

If you're looking for a good cocktail bar with live music on nights that aren't Friday and Saturday, Guilt and Company is excellent.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
so I'll be visiting Vancouver from Toronto next week and have been compiling a list of things to do. Since the majority of you are from there, I figure I'd get some first hand input as to what are some amazing must-see attractions (and maybe some things to avoid?) while I'm there. I've got lots of time to kill so any ideas are welcome. It's my first time visiting

thx!

Also, what kind of things do you like ? Do you go out ? Do you like craft beer, for example ? There's an area around Main st and another in East Van you can do a pretty easy Brewery Tour. Hit 4-6 places and drink great pints.

Or you want more touristy, sight-seeing things ?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If you suffer from any ailment whatsoever (even if you happen to have a "headache" that day), you can purchase a medical marijuana card and buy cannabis at about 100 locations throughout the city.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
as someone who recently visited, grouse grind is a must. you get some stunning views of vancouver skyline from up there, etc. plus the canucks prospects do it each year, which kinda makes it neat as well. you don't have to pay hike up, but have to pay to take the lift down.

i recommend you do the things, that are more nature orientated. kayaking,biking, etc... other than that van has nothing to offer that you can't find in any other bustling city.

the suspension bridge is kind of weak. overpriced in my opinion.

not sure where you're living but i managed to find a b&b in north van for $30/day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad