visiting Vancouver

wicked username

Jan 16, 2012
Kimberley, BC
Hey guys I'm visiting Vancouver this weekend for about a week. Mainly for Canada day and the ocean. Just wanted to ask if there's anything cool going on in the city the first week of July? Also were is the best location for the fireworks?

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
CP_Fireworks_Map%20(2).ashx

Ballgarath

Jun 17, 2012
B.C.
If the kids havent been to stanley park its worth a look. google it for some info. there all kinds of stuff for the kids to do.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Personally I would go for the Harbour Green Park. Then you get the mountains in the background (assuming it won't be too dark to see them.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I live in the mountains currently and they will be here with me for a day or two, I want us to see new things.

Fair enough. Still think the fireworks will look better with them in the background. Could very well be wrong though - maybe watching it from Stanley Park seeing the city in the background is the best.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I had this written up for some of my clients that come into town once in awhile:

Basic Guide to Vancouver
*Distances are walking times from Waterfront Station.

Good places to eat dinner:

Chambar – Belgian beers, mussels. An all-around good place to eat. 16 min walk. 5 min cab.
Tavola – Italian, Wine. Some of the best Italian in Vancouver in my opinion. 15 min walk. 5 min cab.
Chewies – Seafood & Oysters. It’s a 4 min walk and decent.
Hapa Izakaya – Japanese Fusion, sushi. 4 min walk. Good for big group. Bit pricier.
L’Abattoir – Good for fancy French Cuisine. 18 min walk. Bit pricier.
Minami – Japanese Fusion in a different nice area of Van; Yaletown. 25 min walk, 7 min cab
Fishhouse – Seafood in a different area of Van; Tucked away in Stanley Park. 8 min cab
Cuchillo – Spanish Tapas fusion, casual atmosphere. 20 min walk, 5 min cab ride
Nuba – Lebanese Cuisine. Best place to go for vegetarians, but also good for carnivores. 12 min walk
Pekinpaw – Southern BBQ, super casual and inexpensive, but good. 15 min walk.
Cactus Club, English Bay – Decent chain restaurant. Go for the view in a different area of Vancouver. 8 min cab ride.
Chill Winston – Really good patio to sit on if it’s a nice day. Also close to watering holes to go to after. Decent to go for lunch as well. 14 min
Alibi Room – Brew House with great burgers and great beer. Casual and fun. 22 min walk. 5 min cab.

Good places for lunch:

Medina Café – Traditional café. Gets busy, but worth it. 15 min walk
Acme Café – Traditional café with phenomenal food. Avoid lunch hours, but make the trip. 15 min walk.
Meat & Bread – Strictly a sandwich place, but they’re proper sandwiches. Avoid lunch hours though. 10 min walk.
Finches – Quaint Tea & Coffee house with good sandwiches, 9 min walk
Places to go for a drink:
Pourhouse - If you want a proper drink. Whisky lounge. Has food. 10 min walk
Guilt & Co – For live music and great drinks. Jazz, Blues, Swing. Thursday is especially good. No food, but proper drinks. 14 min walk
Charles bar – Typical upbeat bar with big screens for the game, food and drinks. Busy and turns into a club on weekends. 10 min walk
Yaletown Brewery Pub – In the upscale Yaletown area, it’s a pub with typical drinks. Gets busy.
Alibi Room – Brew House with great burgers and great beer. Casual and fun. Gets busy. 22 min walk. 5 min cab.

Other things/areas to see in Vancouver:

Harbour Center City Lookout or Cloud 9 Revolving Restaurants -- Vancouver Lookout at Harbour Centre is the best first stop. This is a tall building right across from Waterfront Station with 360° view. It gives you a lay of the land and visuals of Vancouver’s city, suburbs and North Shore Mountains, all in one. There is a $15 fee for Harbour Center. Cloud 9 is an alternative at 1400 Robson Street and it’s free!
The Seawall – It wraps around the entire downtown core. Taking a walk along it is a great way to check out the beautiful parts of the city. Doing the whole thing would take a while, but a section is a good way to kill some time. Detouring along the Seawall is a good way to have a true scenic route.
Granville Island – Vancouver’s largest market. It’s just outside the downtown core and centralizes Vancouver’s art community with studios intertwined with restaurants and shops. Good place to pick up unique souvenirs, check out local art or buy some food to stock up the hotel fridge.
Stanley Park – 1000 acre park with restaurants, beaches, pitch n putt, aquarium, the sea wall and a lot of trees. Good to check out if you have the time for a relaxing walk or if you get a chance to grab a bite somewhere in it. It’s a short way from your hotel.
Robson St – For shopping. It’s the street with all the shops you’d expect to see in any city. With restaurants, fast food joints and coffee shops right in the middle of downtown.
Granville Street – This area is generally for younger 19-24 year olds that go clubbing and is a lot more rambunctious than the aforementioned places, but there are a couple spots here and there okay to check out. It is nice because it is one street full of pubs, clubs, concert venues and pizza joints all very close together. It is our primary ‘party district’.

Vancouver Tips & Things to Know

Vancouver has a homeless population is approximately 1,600. They will panhandle or offer different sorts of things for sale. They are generally timid and not a threat, but it is better to not engage them unless you’re prepared to give them change. They will begin to go their “pitch†and it’s best to not get in a discussion. A direct, “I am sorry, I have no change.†and moving along is best. If you’d like to help Vancouver’s homeless there are many charities that will make better use of any funds.
Vancouver is a very safe city. Only areas I would avoid would be the Chinatown/East Hastings Area beyond Carrall St. Even then it’s not so bad, but there’s no reason to go there and there are many disadvantaged folk there.
The weekends gets busy everywhere. Call for resos everywhere you plan to go!

bo2shink*

I
Vancouver is a very safe city. Only areas I would avoid would be the Chinatown/East Hastings Area beyond Carrall St. Even then it’s not so bad, but there’s no reason to go there and there are many disadvantaged folk there.

Avoid Granville St at night with the drunken, weekend suburban warriors before the DTES. There are great places there.

Try the Union. Lots of other options as well. Alibi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad