Visiting Toronto?

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I visited with the family a few weeks ago and felt so well served by the parks, basically everywhere we went we were close to some newly renovated splash pad/wading pool with like 4 lifeguards on duty. incredible public tennis and basketball courts and skate parks. I stood around waiting to pay someone to swim at high park pool but nope, free admission. what a city.

Reactions: hamzarocks

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
if you have young kids or don't wanna pay to see the Jays the inter county baseball Maple Leafs play at Christie Pits park on Sundays for free, these Maple Leafs are free of big ticket contracts so all can enjoy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why would anyone eat at the Mandarin? Lol
Yeah, this one surprised me. I'm born and raised in Chaplin Estates/Forest Hill and currently live in mid-town. Mandarin would never be on my reco list for the neighborhood. Only places I'd strongly endorse in the Y+E area is Burger Shack (old school burger spot, and even got mentioned on a Leaf's game due to Hyman loving it) and I'd strongly recommend Benny's BBQ which is relatively new. Look if you love Mandarin all the power too you, just would never get my recommendation as something to visit. Want good Chinese hit Swatow in Chinatown, or find one of the gems in Markham/Scarbrough.

Best food spots from Bloor to York Mills/Wison in my eyes are Burger Shack, Benny's, Crown and Dragon (best wings in the city, previously I gave that title to Duffs on Bayview) and Belly Buster's Submarines in the affordable price range to a lesser extent Holy Chuck. On the higher end scale, I'd lean Opus.

As for food spots all around the city I'm currently hyped on, Marq's Beef (Chicago Italian Beef Sandwiches), Illstyl3 Sammies (Cheesesteak), and a couple of pizza spots (Descendent for Detroit style, Badiali's and One Nite Only).

I've always found it interesting how compared to other North American cities of our size we don't really have a signature food. Like, MTL has smoked Meat and Poutine, NYC has their Pizza, and Chicago has their style of Pizza and Italian Beef. The only things I can think of that are somewhat unique to Toronto are the Peameal Sandwiches at Carosal or Paddington's in the market and the style of Veal sandwich you see at California Sandwiches. Only other similar sized city outside of DC, I can think of something unique they are famous for in regards to food, and even the DMV has Baltimore Pitbeef or their famous blue crab/crab cakes. Buffalo has their wings and Beef on Wick even.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pizza Pizza is terrible, like any of the big chains.

I always recommend HHOF to visit.
Pizza Pizza should never be on a reco list. It's legit cardboard and tastes the same regardless of toppings. It would be on my avoid at all costs list.

Toronto doesn't really have a signature style of Pizza, but we have a ton of great spots, but most are non-chains.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Still hands down fav place to get a veal sandwich. And still have yet to learn to chew more.
There was a place in Woodbridge called Parmigiana which had the best Veal sandwich I've ever had, I don't think it exists anymore (it may have been a front). It was in an industrial area off Highway 7 next to an italian social club and kept weird hours and was never reliably open. But, damn was that sandwich good.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I went to BP in Waterloo a few weeks ago. I was literally the only customer in the entire place. No one in the bar, no one in the dining room.

Also went there during the Leafs playoffs, there were maybe 10-15 people in the bar and the dining room was completely empty.

Maybe its just this place but damn BP is going to go broke if it's like that everywhere else.

soon the SBA will be like that on leafs game nights

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
personally I would trade the sold out craft beer food truck rogers centre experience for the jays pass/$5 scalper ticket 500-level ghost towns of the early 10s in a second

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I was looking for suggestions on the best places to buy tix for a game. I checked StubHub but wondering if there are other options. Coming up to visit family and want to go to the CBJ game on Dec 14th.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
For the vegetarians visiting, Gia is the best spot in the city for vegetarian finer dining

All are good, but OG location on Claremont is by far the best.

I recently found out that California sandwiches technically isn’t franchised and they’re all run by family members of the OG location.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
For the vegetarians visiting, Gia is the best spot in the city for vegetarian finer dining

I recently found out that California sandwiches technically isn’t franchised and they’re all run by family members of the OG location.
I usually get from the Dufferin/Castlefield location because they deliver to me. It's still really good, I've found in-store at Claremont the best. I didn't think it was franchised. It's similar to something like Holy Chuck and North of Brooklyn. It's a smaller local chain still controlled by the family.original owners.

I remember hearing people complain about the quality at the Yonge and College location, and that one didn't last very long from what I remember.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Chung Moi in Scarborough is easily my favourite Hakka go to.
Hot & Sour soup
Chicken pakoras
Chili chicken…

Maaaaan, once you go Hakka you don’t go backa…..

Is that dive still open???? Reminds me of when I dj’d at Zanzibar when I was in university. Brass Rail was the “good” place and Jilly’s was where you went to get crabs or stabbed… .. lol.
Chung moi definitel. Very simple place. Don’t forget Fredricks too .

Veal Sandwich from California Sandwich is a must try. Having one right now for lunch.
Veal Sandwich from California Sandwich is a must try. Having one right now for lunch.
This reminded me of downstairs at St.Lawrence market and there veal eggplant Parma sandwich.

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
For hockey pucks visiting the city, you’ll be hitting the HHOF obviously (and it is a must see for sure). Some places that haven’t been mentioned:

Eating / Drinking
Old Spaghetti Factory - it’s an old institution that’s been around for a very long time in Toronto, and has a unique and funky, decor inside and servers up excellent Italian food.

Nearby/besides are a couple of great bars where you can get good “McPub” (Scotland Yard) atmosphere and an incredible selection of craft beers on tap (Bier Markt).

Walk a block north to see the cool triangle building (there’s a cool fountain + statues there too)

My other recommendation for a nicer restaurant with unique location is the Keg Mansion, Jarvis and Wellesley. Regular Keg menu, food and service, and you can do it in a beautiful, big old mansion with unique atmosphere; or you can just go up to the bar on the second floor, and either get food or stick to drinks up there and was a higher class venue to meet up with new friends back in the day.

Sights
Casaloma - it’s an old castle, in the middle of the city (now), some rich guy built way back in the day, but it’s fun to explore and look around and as some nice views of the city as well. A few famous movie scenes have been filmed there as well.

Kensington Market - look it up on Google maps, it’s a small run of streets, nearby College and Spadina. Go there on a Saturday, it’s an eclectic mix of ethnic food (great Jamaican jerk, chicken places) some hippie style stuff, drug paraphernalia, and clothes, shops, and all kinds of fruits and other foods. Adjacent is old Chinatown, basically just walk south on Spadina, and remember that for after last call because some of those Chinese food places serve “cold tea” (beer served in tea containers after hours) . My go to for after bar food wasn’t the street vendors, it was the BBQ duck.

Was mentioned briefly a couple times, but you have to Walk Queen St., West if you’re younger and out about the town at night. Ending up at the Horseshoe Tavern for lively sights, and sounds, and they always have live music going there… People from all walks of life go to the horseshoe Tavern, and occasionally someone from a well-known band will walk in there you never know.

CN Tower is one of those places you have to see if you’ve never been to Toronto or never seen it… But make goddamn sure you go there on a clear day. Otherwise, it’s a waste of money, and then make sure you do all the fun stuff you don’t have to pay extra for, specifically walking over the glass, looking down thousands of feet, and then, having fun taking a running jump to land on there, while people jump off and scatter like cockroaches 😂😂
Never plan to eat there, the food is extremely expensive over priced and not worth it. Life is too short to waste time on over priced food just to be in a revolving restaurant.

Reactions: DutchHockeyGuy

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Treliving HIGHLY recommends Boston Pizza.
I was there ONCE! I would almost rather eat at McDonald's.

Pizza Pizza is good mediocre pizza - maybe the best of the chains.

Toronto has everything in the way of food - from Patagonian to Tibetan.

There are at least 50 microbreweries in the city, with more in the GTA. I haven't tried them all (yet) but there are one hell of a lot of excellent brews (assuming you're not the type who thinks Budweiser and Coors make beer). BeerTown has a good variety, as do lots of other bars.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
For hockey pucks visiting the city, you’ll be hitting the HHOF obviously (and it is a must see for sure). Some places that haven’t been mentioned:

Eating / Drinking
Old Spaghetti Factory - it’s an old institution that’s been around for a very long time in Toronto, and has a unique and funky, decor inside and servers up excellent Italian food.

Nearby/besides are a couple of great bars where you can get good “McPub” (Scotland Yard) atmosphere and an incredible selection of craft beers on tap (Bier Markt).
Definitely better options for Italian food than Spaghetti Factory around Union/SBA, but if you have kids then yeah it's not a bad option.

My dad has told me stories of going to Scotland Yard after work back when he was in his 20s/30s so it's definitely an institution. I would caution against expecting much of the food but it's a good spot for beers, especially post Leafs games.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on where to stay in Toronto.

I have 2 kids, and my oldest is my 14 year old daughter who is a massive Taylor Swift fan. Somehow against all odds I was able to get tickets to her show next November 22, 2024.

I am going to assume that staying downtown and being able to walk to the Rogers Centre is pretty much going to require me to sell a kidney, and is probably out.

But I believe that public transit like the GO train or UP Express would take us to Union Station which is right by the Rogers Centre?

So any ideas or suggestions on something that might be reasonable that is near a GO train or UP Express stop?

Thanks!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on where to stay in Toronto.

I have 2 kids, and my oldest is my 14 year old daughter who is a massive Taylor Swift fan. Somehow against all odds I was able to get tickets to her show next November 22, 2024.

I am going to assume that staying downtown and being able to walk to the Rogers Centre is pretty much going to require me to sell a kidney, and is probably out.

But I believe that public transit like the GO train or UP Express would take us to Union Station which is right by the Rogers Centre?

So any ideas or suggestions on something that might be reasonable that is near a GO train or UP Express stop?

Thanks!
Not sure it would require an arm and a kidney, tons of hotels in a variety of price ranges, and Ice Condos is essentially an unlicensed hotel with all the Air Bnb's in it. But where are you looking to stay? Not sure what the hotel/rentals are like on UP express or GO.

While the Swift concert will bring in a ton of tourists, its also out of peak tourism season. Long way out though, but in general hotel prices are generally at their best within 15 days of arriving, so no real rush.

For any locals in this thread or visitors staying the core. I'd recommend trying this spot for a well priced sandwich of an American staple.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I was there ONCE! I would almost rather eat at McDonald's.

Pizza Pizza is good mediocre pizza - maybe the best of the chains.

Toronto has everything in the way of food - from Patagonian to Tibetan.

There are at least 50 microbreweries in the city, with more in the GTA. I haven't tried them all (yet) but there are one hell of a lot of excellent brews (assuming you're not the type who thinks Budweiser and Coors make beer). BeerTown has a good variety, as do lots of other bars.
I only ever go for beer and wings/nachos.

Pizza pizza is awful, it's like cardboard with cheese and tomato sauce.

But there's so many better options for food, it's my favorite thing about the city. Countless cultures co-existing. Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Mediterranean etc. so many different types of restaurants available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad