Visiting San Jose

Nothingman*

Hi guys. We are coming to town for the Blackhawks game Feb 1st (don't worry….we are not head dress wearing fans. Just coming to get away from the cold) and was wondering if there was anything you recommend about the area or do's and don'ts at the arena? Want to be sure to fit in and all. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

hateseed

TentacleGrapeSoda
Aug 3, 2011
Coastal California
If you have time, and a car, make sure to hit San Francisco and/or the Marin headlands. Equally nicer, if more quaint is a drive over the hill to Santa Cruz or even Monterey. All these options are 1-1.5 hours distance from the SJ area.

In San Jose is covered well elsewhere or could be by someone more informed than I. My time in SJ is spent ~89% at Sharks games.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
I take it this is from the main board regarding dos and don'ts?

I'm not sure how it works in other arenas but the seating at the Tank tends to be pretty steep, especially in the upper bowl. If you're leaning forward in your seat, you'll block the view for people behind you and most people are not shy about tapping you on the shoulder and asking you not to lean forward.

Nothingman*

If you have time, and a car, make sure to hit San Francisco and/or the Marin headlands. Equally nicer, if more quaint is a drive over the hill to Santa Cruz or even Monterey. All these options are 1-1.5 hours distance from the SJ area.

In San Jose is covered well elsewhere or could be by someone more informed than I. My time in SJ is spent ~89% at Sharks games.

I am thinking about Monterey on the Friday perhaps. It all depends on how we get there because it might have to be SFO if from MSP and using miles. Then it might be San Fran instead. I have been to San Fran several times and it is my favorite US city. Just love it there. But I like to bird and might hit the coast for some of that too!

Just want a good room to stay in fairly close to the arena. The little lady likes nice hotels so I guess price isn't super critical (to her) but it is to me some :)

hateseed

TentacleGrapeSoda
Aug 3, 2011
Coastal California
I am thinking about Monterey on the Friday perhaps. It all depends on how we get there because it might have to be SFO if from MSP and using miles. Then it might be San Fran instead. I have been to San Fran several times and it is my favorite US city. Just love it there. But I like to bird and might hit the coast for some of that too!

Just want a good room to stay in fairly close to the arena. The little lady likes nice hotels so I guess price isn't super critical (to her) but it is to me some :)

Check online if they have left by now, but if they are still around, the Monarch butterflies in Santa Cruz/Natural Bridges are pretty dope.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WRT practices, Sharks do not announce schedule usually until the first of the month.

Unclear if there will be practice 1/31 (Friday) as the team is just getting back from a two-game road trip, or 2/2 (Sunday -- often the day off). (With 4 days off month per CBA, averaging about one/week, without seeing January practice/days-off schedule, hard to know what early February will bring.)

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
The tank is pretty friendly to visiting fans so you don't need to worry about anything happening at the game. Maybe some friendly heckling :)

Like others have stated, Monterey/Santa Cruz or San Francisco are fun places to visit... although February might see some rain. Be sure to eat all you can if you goto San Francisco, as it has some of the best food!

Nothingman*

If you're into guitars at all, there is what's basically a vintage guitar museum in SJ that also happens to be a cool regular shop as well http://www.guitarshowcase.com/vintage-gear.html
last time I was there they had a bunch of Steve Miller's guitars and I think a couple Jerry Garcia as well.

I am very much into guitars. I will have to check that out! We are pretty excited to get out of the Minnesota deep freeze if only for three days. This is my birthday trip and we try to coincide it with a game......as long as it is in a fun location.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I take it this is from the main board regarding dos and don'ts?

I'm not sure how it works in other arenas but the seating at the Tank tends to be pretty steep, especially in the upper bowl. If you're leaning forward in your seat, you'll block the view for people behind you and most people are not shy about tapping you on the shoulder and asking you not to lean forward.

Yup, the good doctor nailed it. There are plenty of notices on the scoreboard about not leaning forward (more than usual for other arenas). If you lean, you have a 90% chance of someone letting you know immediately.

If you guys enjoy a beer or spirits at the game, you definitely gotta have a Sharkarita :nod:

Nothingman*

Thanks for all your help! We have booked everything and will be at the game. If you want to meet for drinks to rub a win (or cry over a loss) I am willing to meet for that. If there is a good place for a couple drinks around the SAP I could meet for a couple. I will say the tickets after market are a lot more expensive than in Minnesota!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Is the seating really that bad in the tank? At the canadian tire center in ottawa all 18,000+ fans could be leaning forward and it would be fine for site

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
LadyStanley put together a very nice post for folks just like you:

Visiting San Jose FAQ

I will just say to steer clear of The Arena Hotel if your budget permits. Place has rooms like a crime scene. Friendly staff, though.

I stayed there for my Dec. 21-24 trip and had no issues. That said, the walk downtown to get to the closest food places was the only inconvenience.

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
LadyStanley put together a very nice post for folks just like you:

Visiting San Jose FAQ

I will just say to steer clear of The Arena Hotel if your budget permits. Place has rooms like a crime scene. Friendly staff, though.

I was reading that FAQ. I see Amtrak mentioned but is CALtrain mentioned as people taking that should know about the last time leaving the station heading back in the Bay area direction as it can get a little tight time wise after the game especially if it goes past regulation.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I was reading that FAQ. I see Amtrak mentioned but is CALtrain mentioned as people taking that should know about the last time leaving the station heading back in the Bay area direction as it can get a little tight time wise after the game especially if it goes past regulation.

M-Saturday, the last CalTrain is "scheduled" to leave at 10:30p, but the train is "held" if there's "extra" time and leaves 15 minutes after the game.

(Usually, Sunday evening games start at 5 and end by 7:30-8, so the last train north at 9 is usually sufficient. This week's game started at 7:30, so there was no train after the game; an anomaly.)

Nothingman*

I would like to give a shout out to the great Sharks fans we ran into for the game Saturday against the Hawks. My opinion of the arena/experience are as follows:

1. Loved the arena. Walked from the Four Points to the arena and drank along the way. Lots of food options and I liked the restaurants elevated on the corners of the walk way. Only beef is the lack of bathroom space .
2. Crowd was very much into it and really loud/reactive to the play. Much much more fun and intense compared to what I experience in St. Paul when I watch the Hawks come here. Crowd was an A+. Game was very exciting with the skill on display from both teams.
3. Nice Jumbotron.
4. One thing I thought was cool was the Mystery puck. That is a neat concept and for charity. I bought a couple and got a Wingels. I saw a young girl by the glass with his jersey on during warm ups and made her day giving her the puck. A nice Sharks fan paid me back with a Sharks Christmas Ornament!
5. No bad fan experiences. Everyone gave some ribbing and had fun.
6. Weather >>>>>>>> Minneapolis weather.

Hope to make it back again soon. For side trips we hit Palo Alto outdoor mall,Monterey, Carmel, Point Lomas for hiking, and Moss landing for birding. All were a good time with great weather. Saw lots of birds and whales. All in a 3 day weekend.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Awesome to hear you had a good time. Nothing like having a fan of another team leave with a positive experience, no matter the outcome of the game.

Thanks for picking up a few mystery pucks, and making a young fan's day, too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad