OT: Visiting Edmonton

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Didn't see a visiting Edmonton thread so I figured I would start one.

Greetings from NYC. I will be visiting Edmonton for a game in early December. Keep in mind I will be with family so I would like to keep things as PG as possible as far night time activities. Any suggestions of places to go? So far in my research I have found:

1. The Art Gallery of Alberta

2. West Edmonton Mall (if anyone could expand on the activities in or around the mall that would be great. I keep finding mixed information online.)

3. Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village (What is this place?)

Anything else which I may have missed would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a restaurant or two that would be memorable for our trip would be great.

Also any tips of bars, pubs or grills to visit on game day would be great.

Thanks for all your help.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The only interesting thing to do at the mall is walk it just to understand how big it is
Then there's the waterpark or galaxyland (amusement park thing)
I'm pretty sure they got rid of the dolphins and MIGHT have sea lions or something
really there is nothing else to do at the mall aside from shop

The Cactus Club Cafe connected to the mall has really good food if you're looking for something around there.

Ric's Grill downtown is pretty good, all the other ric's grills are so-so (although i've never been to the one on the westend which is run differently like the downtown one) --also reasonably close (driving) or LRT to the game if you want dinner beforehand

The Keg is pretty damn good for steak (no kegs close to rexall if i recall)

Now these aren't "fancy" places but they have higher quality food/atmosphere for reasonable prices (most likely posted online)

kinda fancy is cafe de ville on 124st and 102ave but the prices are still fine (also online) and you may want to look into reservations if you go that route

oh and i know some crazy people might tell you otherwise, but after the game get the hell back downtown/westend/wherever you can that's not near rexall

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Didn't see a visiting Edmonton thread so I figured I would start one.

Greetings from NYC. I will be visiting Edmonton for a game in early December. Keep in mind I will be with family so I would like to keep things as PG as possible as far night time activities. Any suggestions of places to go? So far in my research I have found:

1. The Art Gallery of Alberta

2. West Edmonton Mall (if anyone could expand on the activities in or around the mall that would be great. I keep finding mixed information online.)

3. Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village (What is this place?)

Anything else which I may have missed would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a restaurant or two that would be memorable for our trip would be great.

Also any tips of bars, pubs or grills to visit on game day would be great.

Thanks for all your help.

AGA isn't too bad although it might be boring if no good exhibits are going on. Restaurant is kind of expensive there though.

WEM has the second largest North American waterpark called the World Waterpark (probably not good in winter) and a huge amusement park called Galaxyland home of the largest roller coaster indoors I believe. Besides that there's always shows with sea animals and a bunch of stuff like that. There's also a crazy amount of stores you can shop at obviously. Probably a good idea if you're with a family. If you like shopping you can also check out South Edmonton Common North America's largest outdoor retail development.

Ukranian Cultural Village is just outside of Edmonton I believe and it's about the massive Ukranian Immigrations to Edmonton and pays homage to that by a bunch of Ukranian style buildings and food.

Hope it helps.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
The only interesting thing to do at the mall is walk it just to understand how big it is
Then there's the waterpark or galaxyland (amusement park thing)
I'm pretty sure they got rid of the dolphins and MIGHT have sea lions or something
really there is nothing else to do at the mall aside from shop

The Cactus Club Cafe connected to the mall has really good food if you're looking for something around there.

Ric's Grill downtown is pretty good, all the other ric's grills are so-so (although i've never been to the one on the westend which is run differently like the downtown one) --also reasonably close (driving) or LRT to the game if you want dinner beforehand

The Keg is pretty damn good for steak (no kegs close to rexall if i recall)

Now these aren't "fancy" places but they have higher quality food/atmosphere for reasonable prices (most likely posted online)

kinda fancy is cafe de ville on 124st and 102ave but the prices are still fine (also online) and you may want to look into reservations if you go that route

oh and i know some crazy people might tell you otherwise, but after the game get the hell back downtown/westend/wherever you can that's not near rexall

The mall -which I hate- offers a fun day for families. I know that kids really enjoy the movie theater; more so the dragon that blows fire and screams every few minutes. Then there is the arcade and the fact you can buy fastfood IN the theater and eat it while watching the film.

Does WEM still have the indoor race track? If so, OP should take his kids there.

The replica ship and remote-controlled pirate ships is also something I found enjoyable as a kid. Oh, and the putt-putt course.

Last edited:

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
Since you're coming in December and used to cold weather, you should take your family to the River Valley: a great place to see the Edmonton skyline at night whilst you toboggan down the hill.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Does WEM still have the indoor race track? If so, OP should take his kids there.

im pretty sure the slick track gokarts are gone
also i guess the bowling alley is still there too in ed's rec room

BrinkOfGreatness*

I rarely go to the mall unless I really need something. I like going to South Common for a movie or to eat first. It's expanding too.

North Common will be great as well. I'm not sure when it's starting, but the man who owns all of South Common is doing a North Common soon as well.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
That's too bad. I have not been to that mall in forever. I can't stand the massive crowds.

it's not too bad if you go during the day and avoid it during back-to-school and christmas

BUT i live 3 blocks away and usually go to southgate or somewhere else because they are always out of stock on so much stuff

also I always thought the muttart conservatory was neat in the winter (glass pyramids with tropical gardens, etc in them) http://www.muttartconservatory.ca/pages/Muttart/default.aspx

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Ukranian Village is closed in the winter.

Taste of Ukraine restaurant on Jasper Ave is pretty good. This may be the one area of cuisine where Edmonton could possibly outdo New York.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Don't know how old the kids in the family are, but in WEM there is also a firing range that a bunch of us from work went to. WEM has plenty of stuff for you to do

Oct 15, 2008
Sunridge ski area has tubing. They rent tubes and you take a lift up the hill. Depending on how old your kids are. Then there are various ski hills in town, Rabbit Hill, Snow Valley, Edmonton ski club is close to downtown, in fact you can see it from the Hotel Macdonald, which isnt a bad idea to go for dinner there.

The mall has a pretty good water park (huge slides, good areas for little kids, as well as bungee jumping) a decent amusement park (couple of indoor roller coasters and various other rides). As well as the aforementioned fire breathing dragon movie complex. The mall really should be a destination for your family, you cant really go wrong there.

Whyte ave during the day has some cool stuff, but at night it is a no go zone for families. Lots of drunks, bums and various riff raff.

Cant really recommend a restaurant. There just arent any that I find worth recommending.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Hemmer_83

Sep 6, 2006
E-Town!
Since you are coming in early December, I'd recommend possibly checking out Fort Edmonton Park. It's a park that is set in the time period of the 1800's to early 1900's and shows how Edmonton first started off as a settlement. They take you through all the old buildings and tell you the history and stories behind them. You can also make molasses, bannock, leather, butter, etc like back in the old days. They also used to have Christmas activities for the family like baking, sleigh rides, crafts, etc and its all decorated for the season, quite a magical experience as I recall from my kiddie days. They should have a website with info. Also the festival of trees is pretty cool at the Shaw. WEM is a main attraction as already stated. As far as restaurants, Packrat Louies is good, also if you want something cool, i'd recommend La Ronde. Its a rotating restaurant on top of the Crowne Plaza Hotel downtown, it offers up an amazing 360 degree view of our city, especially at dusk. It could get a bit pricey, especially for a family, but the food is all gourmet and really good. Just my two sense.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
I can't believe this thread has gone on this long without a Calgary or Vancouver fan showing up to troll. Impressive.

It's not close to Rexall, but the Ric's Grill in St. Albert is quite awesome, or so my mom who lives there tells me.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
It's not close to Rexall, but the Ric's Grill in St. Albert is quite awesome, or so my mom who lives there tells me.

I haven't been to that one for a long time but the few times i went there a few years ago the food was very....average

it's a cool little spot though and if the food has improved then that's awesome

the one in lethbridge is very neat
rics%20grill.jpg

VelvetJones

Oct 10, 2007
Muttart conservatory is decent for family. Covers buying flowers for your wife for 2 years.

l_welcome_pagestack1_007.jpg

Space sciences centre could be okay, never been there

l_welcome_pagestack1_006.jpg

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
In tune with the Art Gallery, Telus World of Science, Ft Edmonton PK and Muttart suggestions there is also the Royal Alberta Museum.

They all have something to offer but coming from NY if you go to any of these it will be necessary to have an open mind. None of them hold a candle to what you see in NYC but that doesn't mean they aren't good places to see.

Depending on the weather and what not there is always some good family fun to be had skating at Hawrelak Park or in the evening at the Legislature grounds.

As mentioned already the Ukrainian Village is closed in the winter which is too bad because it does offer a unique glimpse of how the Ukrainian settlers lived in this part of the world. One of the more unique things to see in the area.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
The old Space Science Centre is now TELUS World of Science, and it's actually a really cool place to take the kids, tons of stuff for them to do, you can easily burn 1/2 a day there

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Take your kids to Hooters. I know my 13 and 15 year old boys really enjoyed that experience.

barto

May 17, 2002
Edmonton
agiftforwomen.com
Was underwhelmed by Ric's Grill (west end), but haven't been to the downtown one yet.

Copperpot (downtown) is nice, with a good view of the river valley & high level bridge.

WEM's Waterpark would be a great thing to do in early December to get a warm break from the cool weather. Lots to do in WEM as mentioned...where were you planning to stay? WEM has the Fantasyland hotel that could be fun as well.

Good luck - keep asking questions!

Bart

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure if the OP was confused with Fort Edmonton and the Ukrainian Village which is a ways out of town and not the easiest place to find for somebody not from here.
I'd pick Fort Edmonton in anycase and theres stuff going on there in December and with the hotel I believe also being open. Its a nice time to visit the park and surrounding area. Many good walks around there or really anywhere in River Valley.
Royal Alberta Museum is better than some of the other attractions mentioned and to kids from New York I'd think some of the habitat displays for instance would be pretty cool.

Also a vote for Elk Island National Park which is half an hour East of Edmonton and which affords the opportunity to see ample wildlife including large herds of Wood Bison in a natural setting. Go visit the paddocks there.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/elkisland/natcul/natcul1/b/ii.aspx

Also a 4hr drive to Banff would be worthwhile and Banff Springs is gorgeous that time of year.

Despite what people say WEM should be on your list as a family. Theres plenty of family activity there and more than enough to keep kids interested.

A fun family restaurant that hasn't been mentioned is the Lingnan.

http://www.thelingnan.com/

An Edmonton venerable tradition, a fun family with their own TV program and always an enjoyable night. Don't let the exterior deceive you. Its a nice chinese restaurant.

Last edited:

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
Not sure if the OP was confused with Fort Edmonton and the Ukrainian Village which is a ways out of town and not the easiest place to find for somebody not from here.

Also a vote for Elk Island National Park which is half an hour East of Edmonton and which affords the opportunity to see ample wildlife including large herds of Wood Bison in a natural setting. Go visit the paddocks there.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/elkisland/natcul/natcul1/b/ii.aspx

Not picking on you Replacement, I just found this a little funny.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not picking on you Replacement, I just found this a little funny.

:laugh:

No its OK. I wondered if any astute readers would pick up on the inconsistency.

But really from highway 16 it would be pretty much impossible to miss Elk Island and with it also being a bigger entity. I have managed to miss the Ukrainian village turn off before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad