OT: Visiting Edmonton

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Yes, make sure you wear your most valuable jewelry, have at least $1000 cash in your wallet, your best and shiniest clothes on, and it be middle of the night. North end will make sure you are welcome with open arms.

• Haha
Reactions: Giggleplex

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
As someone who's lived in many cities and visited NY several times, there isn't a lot food-wise that Edmonton does better than what you'd find in New York.

Thing is, most of the best restaurants in NY uses Alberta Beef from Katz Deli (best Pastrami on rye) to Minetta Tavern (best burger in the world).

There's some great food options sort of unique to Edmonton. I'd say:

- Dutchess Bakery
- Bernard Callebaut Chocolate (my Belgian father in law grew up eating his father's chocolate)
- High Level Diner
- RGE RD (Canadiana done well)
- Restaurant in the Fairmont Hotel (Canadian ingredients prepared in a classic french way).
- Meat
- Peter's Drive In (it's comparable to an In and Out).

Stay away from any recommendations for seafood. Edmonton is nowhere near a coast and by comparison the seafood is garbage.

Also stay away from Bagels, Pizza, Deli's, Taco's, Asian. New York has the best in the world for most of those. Edmonton offers shitty knockoffs at best.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As someone who's lived in many cities and visited NY several times, there isn't a lot food-wise that Edmonton does better than what you'd find in New York.

Thing is, most of the best restaurants in NY uses Alberta Beef from Katz Deli (best Pastrami on rye) to Minetta Tavern (best burger in the world).

There's some great food options sort of unique to Edmonton. I'd say:

- Dutchess Bakery
- Bernard Callebaut Chocolate (my Belgian father in law grew up eating his father's chocolate)
- High Level Diner
- RGE RD (Canadiana done well)
- Restaurant in the Fairmont Hotel (Canadian ingredients prepared in a classic french way).
- Meat
- Peter's Drive In (it's comparable to an In and Out).

Stay away from any recommendations for seafood. Edmonton is nowhere near a coast and by comparison the seafood is garbage.

Also stay away from Bagels, Pizza, Deli's, Taco's, Asian. New York has the best in the world for most of those. Edmonton offers shitty knockoffs at best.
I never knew that there was a Peter's Drive In in Edmonton! The Calgary Peter's was a must go stop but I had no idea there was one in Edmonton.

That said for a New Yorker, pizza might be worth taking a chance. Tony's pizza Palace has a long history in both Edmonton and NYC.

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I never knew that there was a Peter's Drive In in Edmonton! The Calgary Peter's was a must go stop but I had no idea there was one in Edmonton.
The milkshakes are awesome but the food is bloody awful and doesn’t compare to the one in Calgary. If your interested though it’s on Calgary trail just north of the white mud.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I quite like McDonald’s myself.

Edmonton used to have a place called Shanks. Wonder if it’s still there. It was so fun. So many games
Haha shanks. Has been mothballed for years.

The only suggestion I have for this thread is to make sure you have a warm winter jacket and gloves…February in YEG is likely going to be cold 🥶

And be sure to try some Alberta beef & a donair.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I can’t remember all of what I recommended in the last visitor thread but if you like beer at all I’d consider checking out any of the following local breweries:

Sea Change
Analog
SYC
Odd Company (located near downtown)
Growlery
Bent Stick
Omen

Sea Change is one of the most decorated craft breweries from Alberta (in recent years). Even if you don’t make it down to the brewery which is some distance from downtown (but not far), you’ll likely find at least one of their beers on tap at wherever you eat (assuming it’s a local restaurant). The other ones I listed all have a number of great beers as well and may be on tap at some restaurants

And while I haven’t tried it, have heard some great things about Arcadia, and it’s not far from downtown. It’s also in a strip mall with somewhat “unique” architecture (polarizing for some)

My food recommendations will be somewhat limited and I’ll keep it to downtown. Just going to list the names and will avoid the usual donair, pizza etc recommendations: Bistro Praha, Sabor, Bundok, Tzin, Tres Carnales (decent for lunch), Uccellino. Some of those are a bit pricier, some are tapas so depending on your preference YMMV.

If you’re looking for pub style food near the arena Campio is solid and they also have solid local brewed beers.

Cheers

Reactions: Nunymare

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Last time I did this it was a nucks fan. Made all kinds of interesting recommendations and the poster ignored all of them and spent the majority of their time in WEM. Without anybody expanding on specific interests there is no point in doing this and the OP barely dropped a line saying anything.

One of the past threads, that went into far more detail should just be stickied and done with. Most boards have a stickied visitor thread. This has been requested numerous times. Otherwise its just rehashing the same and the OP shows really a modicum of interest. Just enough to start a thread they aren't even participating in.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Haha shanks. Has been mothballed for years.

The only suggestion I have for this thread is to make sure you have a warm winter jacket and gloves…February in YEG is likely going to be cold 🥶

And be sure to try some Alberta beef & a donair.
Myself I could never quite figure out the appeal of a bar named after getting stabbed. Nah, hard pass. Just on name alone idiocy avoided. Pick a name like that and you deserve to go out of business. Thought it was formulaic, boring, but never really got the appeal of a sports bar. Bars are for forgetting about sports clubs and other misery. hehe

I mean could you imagine going to a bar and they got the Elks game on. Never again.

edit. As if it needs mentioning the post was meant as humorous. The name of the place was Schanks. Apparently this needs explaining that I was mocking the name. I wouldn't have thought explanation was necessary but...

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Definition of shank
transitive verb

to hit (a golf ball or shot) with the extreme heel of the club so that the ball goes off in an unintended direction

also to kick (a football) in an unintended direction

In other words a completely appropriate name for a sports bar catering to the barstool athlete.

Reactions: AM and Tobias Kahun

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

That said for a New Yorker, pizza might be worth taking a chance. Tony's pizza Palace has a long history in both Edmonton and NYC.
Definitely recommend Tony's Pizza Palace. Greek Style pizza is way more prominent in Edmonton/Western Canada than NYC. Tony's is excellent.

@Oilhawks also has a great suggestion. Local craft breweries are an awesome social experience to check out a new city or place. His resto lists are also usually solid.

Alberta beef is a great feature and well regarded. Most definitely I would recommend a great steak. Meat was mentioned and I agree it has very good BBQ. Though not as plentiful as regional BBQ in the States, find a very good BBQ place in Alberta and it is awesome!

Assuming this isn't a food snobbery tour, there will be amble variety of good restaurants and some experiences like craft breweries to enjoy a regional flavour to your visit and Rangers loss to the Homeside. ;)

Enjoy your visit. If it extends to Calgary, I could offer up some suggestions for my old stomping grounds. Disclosure, I've never lived in Edmonton but a lot of time there with kin folk and friends.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
What a brave soul. February can be pretty miserable over here. I'd love to visit New York myself some day!

It's a bit of a drive but Jack's Burger Shack in St. Albert (which is just north west of Edmonton's city limits) is an awesome place for burgers and milkshakes.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Definitely recommend Tony's Pizza Palace. Greek Style pizza is way more prominent in Edmonton/Western Canada than NYC. Tony's is excellent.

@Oilhawks also has a great suggestion. Local craft breweries are an awesome social experience to check out a new city or place. His resto lists are also usually solid.

Alberta beef is a great feature and well regarded. Most definitely I would recommend a great steak. Meat was mentioned and I agree it has very good BBQ. Though not as plentiful as regional BBQ in the States, find a very good BBQ place in Alberta and it is awesome!

Assuming this isn't a food snobbery tour, there will be amble variety of good restaurants and some experiences like craft breweries to enjoy a regional flavour to your visit and Rangers loss to the Homeside. ;)

Enjoy your visit. If it extends to Calgary, I could offer up some suggestions for my old stomping grounds. Disclosure, I've never lived in Edmonton but a lot of time there with kin folk and friends.

I would never recommend a New Yorker try the Edmonton Pizza.

Like I wouldn't recommend Montrealler try the Vancouver Poutine, or tell a Vancouverite the Montreal sushi. I've been coerced to try these things, and they were mediocre at best.

Nobody travels to try a far another city's 'shittier version' of the food they perfected. They travel to try the food unique to EDMONTON, which can be very good.

Stuff focused around the Angus beef, Ukrainian / Polish stuff, or classic french with local ingredients.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Like I wouldn't recommend Montrealler try the Vancouver Poutine, or tell a Vancouverite the Montreal sushi. I've been coerced to try these things, and they were mediocre at best.

Nobody travels to try a far another city's 'shittier version' of the food they perfected. They travel to try the food unique to EDMONTON, which can be very good.

Stuff focused around the Angus beef, Ukrainian / Polish stuff, or classic french with local ingredients.
Dude, you don’t even live here lol

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Dude, you don’t even live here lol

Not to mention the sort of narrow-minded dismissive attitude to think “well that area isn’t known for it so don’t bother” is really outmoded in an increasingly globalized world and promotes stagnation of cuisine.

About the only thing I’d say is that certain types of foods may be difficult to have fresh (ex fish) so you’re less likely to have great seafood etc vs a coastal region but with the ability to have fish flown out fresh daily it minimizes that.

For example, following that reasoning would lead to such a “logical” conclusion in the proposed (fictional) scenario:

A head chef from the top regarded restaurant in the maritime decides to relocate to Edmonton and set up a prestigious “authentic” Maritime seafood restaurant. Following that logic one would assume that the restaurant is no good simply because “Edmonton is not a place to get seafood”.

Hmmm.

Edit: I mean, Campbell just moved here and volunteered his opinion that the food has been good so far. And this is a guy who has played and lived in much larger cities with plenty of prestigious and acclaimed restaurants in LA and Toronto.

Someone who lived here 10 years ago or whatever and doesn’t bother to try anything new when they return (if ever) probably has an outdated view on the restaurant scene in the city (which has improved leaps and bounds in that time by many professional critic accounts). New York almost assuredly has better pizza and many more places that serve better pizza. Does that mean that Edmonton has a bunch of Boston Pizza tier pizza places and no pizza is worth trying? No.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

To each their own. Personally I've had all types of pizza across a range of countries including Italy, Deep Dish in Chicago, Detroit style, NY slice, greek style, and beyond. I can appreciate the diversity of this popular dish and wouldn't dream of snubbing my nose at trying something different. I've had very good pizza in NYC and some mediocre stuff. As one might expect. I also don't view New York as having perfected pizza but again it has some really good pie and some that's not.

Stay in your lane. The poster who has asked for suggestions can make up their mind. I affirmed another poster's opinion. Sounds like you're a stuffed crust guy.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Pizza in Edmonton is actually very good if you are careful. I've had pizza in NY, Vegas, Orlando and in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan on this list. The best in Edmonton can hold their head up.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Definitely recommend trying a good donair. Marcos famous is close to an arena and the best downtown. If your into Indian food Kazahnas downtown is unbelievable. Tony’s is the best pizza around there for sure. Really good Mexican place in the Mercer building but I forget the name. The Marc has the best steak IMO and it’s fairly reasonable compared to Ruth Chris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad