OT: Visiting Denver

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hey guys.. Happy soon to be new year of hockey!

Was hoping to see a sticky entitled "So you're coming to Denver to see a hockey game" type of thread, which explains the arena, getting there, good hotels, mass transit from airport to downtown, what to see in the city, spots to check out, good restaurants, after hours joints to see, etc...

Might come out for Jan 10th game when my Isles are visiting... see a friend, see the city, watch the Isles lose, day of skiing, etc...

I've done this in Edmonton, Toronto, Philly, etc..

In any case.. anyone have thoughts or a link for this stuff? Help a brother out?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1135591

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1249817

I thought at one time we had a stickied thread but I guess it went away.

if you want great advice, please give us more of an idea who you are, and how much you're willing to splurge here. There are lots of things to do in Denver but really suggestions should be tailored into what you like to do for fun.

Thanks.. Ill take a look at those links --

Ill be flying in from NY on a wed or thurs before the game. .shuttle to hotel in downtown-- where I would usually walk the city -- see the sites, people, places, etc... then Ill go back to hotel for a hot tub and several beverages... go out to eat at a killer spot -- I'm partial to sushi, but I love a lot of other food.. and then head to the arena for the game. Watch Isles play Av's and enjoy a new arena compared to the hole the Isles currently play in. After the game, I usually end up at some shady gentlemans club.. LOL..

Next day I would be picked up by a friend for skiing and then back to their house to chill and relax - and then to airport. At least that is the tentative idea for the trip.

So I would only have 1 or 2 days in downtown, where I would have free time to roam. I wont have a car, so only walkable or mass transit from a downtown hotel.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Where exactly downtown are you planning to stay? Makes a big difference on reccomendations/advice IMO. You are probably aware no mass transit from the airport, has to be shuttle or taxi and isn't cheap because the airport isn't close. Arena is downtown but not in the heart of it like Coors Field is. It's easily accessible but there isn't much in terms of nightlife or restaurants over there. Brooklyn's is really the only place. Pre or post game scene is decent there. Not the best food but passable. For the gentleman's portion: Diamond Cabaret.

As far as things downtown. I reccomendations going to the top of the Hyatt on 14th street for a great view. 16th street is full of restaurants and great people watching. A lot of bars and clubs around 14th and Larimer. Also area 19th/20th and Blake/Market right by Coors Field has a lot of bars and restaurants. January 10th might be interesting IF Broncos are in the playoffs, might be a really, really crazy scene downtown then. I don't know that there is anything specific or must do downtown. I do think it's cool to walk around and easy to do so. There are also a lot of music and comedy things to check out if you are interested in that stuff too.

Hope that helps, any other or specific questions?

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
If you're a beer drinker you definitely have to take advantage of our ridiculous amount of delicious breweries. (there's a ton of them that I recommend and I don't feel like typing them out if you're not a beer drinker, let me know if you are and I can give you some great brewery recommendations).

There's no where worth drinking/eating around the Pepsi Center. Brooklynn's in just okay and the other restaurant sucks (it used to be awesome and then they changed ownership or something and I haven't enjoyed my experience there). So if you want to eat/party before or after the game, plan on quite a walking between said place and arena.
The arena is definitely in walking distance from the west portion of downtown although it is gonna be about 20 minute walk from main areas (16th street). The whole area between the arena and 16th street and Coors Field is all pretty safe and bustling, though so don't have to worry about walking. North of Coors field is pretty sketchy, though

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Brewery - Go to Great Divide, which is the best beer experience you will get downtown and be able to walk to.

Gentlemen's Club - Go to Diamond Caberet, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money then take a taxi to Shotgun Willies. It's far from downtown so be prepared for an expensive taxi ride but at the Diamond you will probably pay close to $10/beer. If you become a member of Uber, you get a $20 credit and you can use Uber one way to the club (Uber is a black car taxi service)

Sushi - Hapa is the good cheap/good option downtown now. Sushi Sasa is also good but a little bit of a walk and more expensive.

Restaurants - I would go to Rioja if you want a really trendy nice place to eat. The chef from there is on Bravo's Top Chef Masters right now and is a recent James Beard award winner.

Some other things I'd suggest while staying downtown (I live down here so I think I know it pretty well)

- Rent a B-Cycle for a few hours at least and ride around. Just make sure you dock the bike (and switch it out with another one) every 30 mins.

- The Art museum is cool if you're interested in that and is reachable for free from downtown

- Have a margarita at the Rio. They limit you to 3. Very good and very strong. Some people say they are the best margs they've had.

- if there's a good Red Rocks show that you're interested in, at whatever the cost - go to it.

- Go to the Hyatt Regency by the convention center and go to Peaks Lounge. Great view of the city.

- Walk over into the highlands. Little Man Ice Cream is good, the bar Linger is good.

- For an expensive (and great) cocktail, go to Green Russell (speakeasy) downtown. Get there early though - like 4 or 5, because it packs up QUICK. It's not a place you really sit and drink all night. But they make all their stuff there from scratch for your drink, and they don't use pre-made ingredients like Coke. They make their own sour mix, use bitters a lot, and all kinds of crazy stuff.

Last edited:

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Thanks.. Ill take a look at those links --

Ill be flying in from NY on a wed or thurs before the game. .shuttle to hotel in downtown-- where I would usually walk the city -- see the sites, people, places, etc... then Ill go back to hotel for a hot tub and several beverages... go out to eat at a killer spot -- I'm partial to sushi, but I love a lot of other food.. and then head to the arena for the game. Watch Isles play Av's and enjoy a new arena compared to the hole the Isles currently play in. After the game, I usually end up at some shady gentlemans club.. LOL..

Next day I would be picked up by a friend for skiing and then back to their house to chill and relax - and then to airport. At least that is the tentative idea for the trip.

So I would only have 1 or 2 days in downtown, where I would have free time to roam. I wont have a car, so only walkable or mass transit from a downtown hotel.

If you like sushi, you have to go to a place called Banzai. It is REALLY good sushi for a good price. Their sushi menu consists of everything to fit any sushi taste (and the rolls have cool names). It is about a 20 minute drive from downtown, but I think it's worth it.

(If you like eel, I recommend the BMW roll, it's amazing.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad