OT: Visiting Chicago - Come for the pizza, stay for the pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Yeah, they were bought by Sara Lee and they kinda ran it into the ground. From what I remember there were a couple of groups who wanted to buy it off them after they announced they were shutting down but they refused, guess they wanted to take the write off or whatever.

Long been rumored that Vienna will move into their facility on Pershing as the city wants them out of the Elston location to build a bridge. That intersection absolutely blows.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, they were bought by Sara Lee and they kinda ran it into the ground. From what I remember there were a couple of groups who wanted to buy it off them after they announced they were shutting down but they refused, guess they wanted to take the write off or whatever.

Long been rumored that Vienna will move into their facility on Pershing as the city wants them out of the Elston location to build a bridge. That intersection absolutely blows.

It had more to do with margins than it did with Sara Lee running it into the ground. The expenses to the business were high because of the special circumstances that they had t produce the products. Cost of goods plus other expenses made the business barely profitable.

There were groups interested in buying the brand but the offers were not good enough (from what I know from inside rumors (Family member was a higher up at Sara Lee for a long period of time).

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I will be in Chicago in August and I am looking for some feedback and recommendations. I've been to Chicago before so I've done all of the tourist stuff but I am interested to hear peoples thoughts on the following:

1. Where is the best place to get deep dish pizza?

2. Where are the best hot dogs?

3. Are there any other bars or restaurants you guys would deem can't miss?

4. Are there any good hockey/sports memorabilia stores in the downtown Chicago area?

5. Are there any good hockey/sporting good stores in the downtown Chicago area? I play and I'm always on the lookout for gear that I may not be able to get elsewhere.

Any help is appreciated.

1. Pequods on Clybourn and Webster. Google them and what they do to the crust.
2. Lots of places have great hot dogs. Weiner Circle on Clark late at night for drunken revelry and insults from the workers is an experience not to be forgotten.
3. Depends on who you are and what you are into? Young guy, old guy, music, club - what are you into?
4. Not really. Gunzos is on Madison a few blocks east of the UC and by Johnny's Ice House - good independent local store. Hawks store is on Michigan and Wacker and very cool to visit.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
1. Pequods on Clybourn and Webster. Google them and what they do to the crust.
2. Lots of places have great hot dogs. Weiner Circle on Clark late at night for drunken revelry and insults from the workers is an experience not to be forgotten.
3. Depends on who you are and what you are into? Young guy, old guy, music, club - what are you into?
4. Not really. Gunzos is on Madison a few blocks east of the UC and by Johnny's Ice House - good independent local store. Hawks store is on Michigan and Wacker and very cool to visit.

This was the food stop on my Bachelor Party Bar Crawl. Good eats.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I don't get some peoples fascination with pequods. Not a fan. Go to Lou Malnati's or Giordonos

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Man, this thread has me craving some legit Chicago pizza real hard. Been forever since I've been back home, and can't remember ever craving some pizza this badly.

I'm kind of disgusted with myself that I've become content with crap like Pizza Hut.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Of the major chains Pizza Hut is definitely at the top, though.

Is it? I always just let the wife pick whatever she wants. They all pretty much taste the same to me. There is one that I have a minor preference to because their sausage is spicy and has more seasoning, but it's not so much better I'll bother request we order from there.

Who wants to overnight me some real pizza?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Compared to Domino's, Little Caesars, or Papa John's, it's gourmet.

I'll pick up a Hot 'n' Ready once every couple of months but other than that I never go to any of them.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm probably not remembering things correctly, because I think the few times I actually had Little Caesars was when I was blackout drunk.... but for some reason I have the memory of their crust being chewy, in an under-cooked kind of way.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I like to get Little Caesars home and throw it back in the oven for 5 minutes. You can make it way better with a crispy crust and hotter cheese.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I never really cared for Rosati's much when I lived up there, Lou's was my go to.... but when they opened a Rosati's down here I figured there was little downfall to such.

But my ****ing god.... I've eaten better grocery store brand frozen pizzas than the crap they're making there. Figured it had to just be an off thing the first time we went, and with them being fairly new. Nope.... handful of other times I've tried since were just as bad if not worse. Impressively bad.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm actually a big fan of Pizano's off Madison between Michigan and Wabash. Service is always good, and food has always been great. There's a few more scattered around the city too, but the one off Madison right on the lake is the one where I've always gone. :thumbu: Their deep dish is definitely on par with Lou's and Giordano's, and their bruschetta is amazing. Thin crust is what they're known for, and that's also really good. They're actually owned by the Malnati family.

Last edited:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I'm actually a big fan of Pizano's off Madison between Michigan and Wabash. Service is always good, and food has always been great. There's a few more scattered around the city too, but the one off Madison right on the lake is the one where I've always gone. :thumbu: Their deep dish is definitely on par with Lou's and Giordano's, and their bruschetta is amazing. Thin crust is what they're known for, and that's also really good. They're actually owned by the Malnati family.

Ayyyyeeee. Thats right by where all of my classes were :laugh:
I haven't been to Lou's in forever. That needs to change.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Was in Chicago a few weeks back. Son just moved there, and helped him move in. Tried Lou Malnati's in Lincolnshire and was not impressed with the pizza. Guy in Birmingham, AL - from Chicago, opened a place, Tortuga's that is much better, but Lou's sausage was unreal.

I'll be back soon, want to try Pequod's, plus Coal Fire, and a few others.

Did have Portillo's Italian beef and also breakfast at Walker Brothers. Both were great.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Was in Chicago a few weeks back. Son just moved there, and helped him move in. Tried Lou Malnati's in Lincolnshire and was not impressed with the pizza. Guy in Birmingham, AL - from Chicago, opened a place, Tortuga's that is much better, but Lou's sausage was unreal.

I'll be back soon, want to try Pequod's, plus Coal Fire, and a few others.

Did have Portillo's Italian beef and also breakfast at Walker Brothers. Both were great.

Pretty much everything at Portillo's is good. I'd highly recommend a burger from there. One of the best "pure burgers" around, IMO. They're a little pricey, but typically worth it.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Pretty much everything at Portillo's is good. I'd highly recommend a burger from there. One of the best "pure burgers" around, IMO. They're a little pricey, but typically worth it.

I'm just not impressed with Portillo's. The burgers don't really.... taste like much. I'd rather get a burger from Culvers

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm just not impressed with Portillo's. The burgers don't really.... taste like much. I'd rather get a burger from Culvers

Culvers has a pretty good burger too. I'd agree with that. Greasy as ****. But definitely good. :thumbu: The burgers are always good from the Portillo's by me in Bolingbrook, though. Always have good flavor, well-seasoned, good char on em, etc. Each one is obviously gonna be different with different cooks.

In terms of "pure burger" like I said, it's probably one of the better ones out there. There's places like Kuma's that have really good burgers that are far and away better... but then you're talking like, gourmet burgers, or specialty burgers, and not just a "pure burger". I'm more talking in regards to Portillo's being the best out of places like McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Culver's, Steak n Shake, and many of the smaller franchises or places with multiple locations like a Mickey's or a Five Guys or something like that. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad