OT: "Visiting Area" thread

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hey guys..

A lot of HF teams have their "visiting area" thread which has many FAQ's about the area for visiting HF'ers and what is needed to know if going to a game. Didn't see anything stickied, so I'm throwing this out there. Apologies if there is one and I missed it.

Thinking about coming to visit from NY for the early October game.

**Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with John Tavares. I fully expect him to be in an Isles jersey for this game**

Coming from NY area, cheaper to fly into San Fran? or San Jose?
Best place to stay for a game in San Jose? Things to do and see other than game..(dont plan on renting a car, walking and mass transit only)
Day trips to one city from the other?
Optimally, stay in San Fran,, and grab a bus from downtown to San Jose for the game and then back the same night?

Not too familiar with San Jose, and of course I could google all this stuff -- but curious to see what yall say..

Thanks in advance!

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
What do you enjoy doing? Oct. is a good month in SF, but as stated SF and SJ are not very close. There is a pretty good rail link between downtown SJ where the Shark Tank is located and SF. CA has a car culture so our public transportation is not great -prepare to be underwhelmed. The Hotel De Anza is close to the arena, and there are a few more options. Lots to do in SF, not as much in SJ.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
thanks guys -- was hoping the commute from one to the other would be slightly less painful -- perhaps Ill fly into one and then leave from the other with just a one way commute.. yikes!

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
thanks guys -- was hoping the commute from one to the other would be slightly less painful -- perhaps Ill fly into one and then leave from the other with just a one way commute.. yikes!

The train ride for a game is not that bad if that was all you planned to do in SJ, lots of us do it. But yeah, if you want to see anymore of SJ probably best to split them up.

SF will be much more manageable without a car (decent transit service, short uber/lyft rides, walkable as long as you don't mind pee smell, etc.).

Flights I'd just check Google flights. SFO is probably cheaper just because there are a LOT of flights to it.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
As for flights, there has been a lot more non stop service on several airlines that have been added from SJC to JFK over the past year. If you book in advance, prices are comparable to SFO. It really depends on what you plan on doing for where to stay. If you rent a car, I’d recommend San Jose as Monterey/Carmel/Pebble Beach is an hour or so South. SF would be an hour north with no traffic. As others have said, CalTrain provides access between SJ and SF and is across from the Arena. If you are not on an express train it can take a while though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad