Virtual Reality Hockey. Are we ready for this?

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Last night Molson and Sportsnet broadcast their first of six scheduled VR games. Calgary at Vancouver. Just a week ago I had purchased a set of VR goggles so I decided to check it out. Although it was fairly impressive, there's lots of bugs to be worked out. Most annoying was the fact that the ice surface was rotating in the field of view. Sometimes it was right in front of you and other times it was 180 degrees behind you, which made it impossible to watch it just sitting in one place. I had to stand up to turn my head to the desired direction. Also, it was a little fuzzy. But overall it was pretty cool. It was indeed very close to being right at the game. I only watched about 5 minutes of it. Anyone else check it out? Thoughts??

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Won't be worth it unless you have one of the two good, expensive VR headsets.

Mitts Marner*

Honestly unless your phone has 4K resolution, it isn't worth it. Your eyes will pick out each and every pixel on the screen. I really only use my VR headset to check out cool places on Google Maps. But my phone resolution is only 1080P so it isn't that great.

Hockey and VR has a ton of potential, however. So many people will get to experience hockey games "live" that would otherwise not be able to.

Not to mention the potential for a VR-based Be A Pro mode in the EA series. I've already said I'll buy Playstation VR if that is announced as a feature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad