Viola's Latest Letter to Fans

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
As we close in on the one-year anniversary of our ownership of the Florida Panthers, we want to reiterate our commitment to Broward County, South Florida and our Panthers fans and business partners. As we said at the press conference when we bought the team, we view ourselves as stewards of the team for the community and our plan is to build an organization that makes South Florida proud and to win the Stanley Cup in South Florida. Despite media speculation to the contrary, we have no plans or intentions to move this franchise.

We made a commitment to the Panthers and to South Florida when we bought the team to build a successful organization on and off the ice. We have been working hard to live up to that commitment. Starting with the trade to bring Roberto Luongo, one of the world’s top goaltenders, back home to South Florida, and continuing with our committing over $80 million to new players, including bringing six talented veteran free agents to South Florida and resigning all of our restricted free agents, we have dedicated ourselves to improving the team. Off the ice, we continue to expand our community outreach initiatives and look forward to continue to contribute to the quality of life for residents.

It is no secret that the Panthers and BB&T Center have lost tremendous amounts of money over the last dozen years. We are working hard to address this situation, which we believe we can do with the support from our loyal fans, our business partners, the business community and our community-at-large.

We look forward to a winning season and bringing a Stanley Cup to South Florida.

With Warm Regards,

Vinnie Viola and Doug Cifu, Co-Owners

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...o-staying-in-broward-20140917,0,3181580.story

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
The Score already dropping some serious stupidity with the headline.

With Viola and Cifu's ownership and the changes they've been making throught the org I have no doubt to thier commitment to the team.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The Score already dropping some serious stupidity with the headline.

With Viola and Cifu's ownership and the changes they've been making throught the org I have no doubt to thier commitment to the team.

That headline is a joke lol, leaving out the most important part.

I have no doubt they want to keep the team here, but I don't know how many years they'll give it.

Last edited:

CoolburnIsGone

Sounds like the wording was very calculated if you ask me. Saying there are "no plans or intentions to move this franchise" doesn't mean the same as "no we will never move this franchise". It means that currently they aren't planning to do anything but if a situation arises, they will make the decision then.

Also interesting wording with the last part about getting support from the "community-at-large". Obviously that's trying to send a specific message to the county commissioners about their financial requests. None of that letter makes me feel any better. It actually gives me the same feeling when Saban was the Dolphins coach and the Alabama rumors started.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He's being honest in my opinion. He did spend the money so now it's up to the players to decide the moving argument. I think we need to make the playoffs 2 of the next 3 years to put those rumors to rest.

If the injuries pile up, we will fade fast but I have to believe we take one of the Wildcards or miss by no more than 5 points. This team on paper is better than the 2011-12 roster. On the ice is a different question.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Sounds like the wording was very calculated if you ask me. Saying there are "no plans or intentions to move this franchise" doesn't mean the same as "no we will never move this franchise". It means that currently they aren't planning to do anything but if a situation arises, they will make the decision then.

It's unrealistic to expect that an entity that loses tens of millions of dollars every year can continue to do so indefinitely. I don't know what you mean by situation arises, he'll own the team till it's clear that he can't make money off them, or they turn it around. Not me nor anyone else has any idea of what his long term plan is. I feel better from this because at least it's evident that for now he hasn't planned any relocation.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
This letter makes me feel indifferent. I'm nowhere as nervous as I was when the rumors started earlier this summer, but I still don't feel like the team is 100% safe even with this letter of reassurance.

If the team can play decent hockey all season and stay in the race until April, attendance should vastly improve, which means hopeful assets to help payback the losses over the years.

Of course, if that doesn't happen and we have another season nowhere close to the playoffs, it could get ugly quite fast I'd imagine.

I guess the question is, how long can the team continue to lose money if the losing seasons keep going.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The previous owners stuck around for quite some time while losing money. So it cant be THAT bad. Also the location of South Florida seems to be a reason why Viola bought the team he likes it here and the panthers are his side hobby or whatever albeit an expensive one. I can see him maybe selling the team if the monetary loses continue to accrue but don't think he would ever relocate.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
I'm not worried one iota about the team leaving. Most of the people on this forum, especially in the BOH section pining for relocation have absolutely NO CLUE as to how the business of sports works. The reality is we have a favorable lease with our arena and there is no way in hell Broward County is going to allow it to become a white elephant. Plus, the league NEEDS major media markets like South Florida in order attain the best possible US TV contract it can get. No offense to the good people in Hamilton, Saskatoon, or Quebec City, but those markets do absolutely NOTHING in getting that maximum US TV deal, and the US is where all the money is.

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not worried one iota about the team leaving. Most of the people on this forum, especially in the BOH section pining for relocation have absolutely NO CLUE as to how the business of sports works. The reality is we have a favorable lease with our arena and there is no way in hell Broward County is going to allow it to become a white elephant. Plus, the league NEEDS major media markets like South Florida in order attain the best possible US TV contract it can get. No offense to the good people in Hamilton, Saskatoon, or Quebec City, but those markets do absolutely NOTHING in getting that maximum US TV deal, and the US is where all the money is.

I really hope you are right

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
didn't viola also invest in a south florida based airplane company?

like, he's dedicated to sofla, he makes money from the arena lease, he knows about the fan situation here and spends money

im 100% positive there won't be a relocation

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
No doubt this is a PR ploy with double-sided intentions.

1) Try and put to rest the "rumors" so (casual) fans don't think they're going to leave. If people here think the Panthers will leave, then why come to the games this season? The timing of the letter is proof of that. Training camp starts tomorrow. They want fans to be excited about the upcoming season, not worried about off-ice stuff.

but at the same time:

2) it puts pressure on the county and make them look like the bad guys if/when they don't give into the demands

that being said, actions speak louder than words. didn't viola just buy an airline that is based in South Florida? Didn't he live his entire life in NY and move down here as well?

i find it hard to believe Bettman would allow them to move the team. it makes no sense from a league perspective.

the way the Viner-to-Viola sale occured, I get the feeling Viola guaranteed Bettman he would keep the team down here.

The sale happened too quickly. The team was for sale less than a month and Viola was the first (and only) bidder. Moving Florida to Quebec or some smaller US market makes absolutely zero sense from a league perspective. N-O-N-E. There's no way

Assuming Bettman wants to keep the team in Florida, which his actions in Phoenix prove he likely does, why wouldn't he exhaust his options with different owners that were more dedicated to this market?

Viola moved his family here. (alot of team owners own teams and live in different cities). He bought/started a ****ing airline here.

I think these are clear, obvious threats/PR ploys to the county. that being said, i think they're blind threats. i don't think they will, or be able to, follow up on these threats.

even if his intentions are unpure,

no owner likes losing money, but the truth is, they aren't really the ones who decide where their team will play. just ask Jim Balsille.

if Viola gets sick of losing money, Bettman will likely force him to hold true to his word and keep the team in Florida or sell the team if he gets sick of losing $$. and a salary floor will guarantee he keeps losing money (he can't jeffrey loria us and put a $10 mil payroll, garbage ass team on the ice purposely killing the market to the point of no revival)

this is my theory, and my theory alone. and is completely dependent on the fact that Bettman wants to keep the team in Florida.

that being said, considering his past history with what happened in Arizona, i think it has to be the case. no reason to fight tooth & nail for them and not go to war for a better/bigger market here.

and before anyone brings up Atlanta, please do the research as to why that was a 100% different situation than ours or Glendale's

maybe i've just convinced myself to make myself sleep better at night, but i have a degree in sports business and it is my career...and there's not one reason that comes to mind as to why Bettman would want the Panthers to move from here. not one.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
also, James Mirtle (Leafs reporter) also spun the article like the Score did on Twitter...

and I lambasted him for it. :)
Hopefully he turns up here. Wouldn't be the first time he's made a fool of himself on hf.

What can we expect really, that's the only way he'll stay relevant compared to other more reputable writers.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
If there hasn't been significant talk of moving the team in the last decade, there would be no reason to move it now. New owners committed to building a winning franchise means there will be a respite for all this talk unless the team continues to be in the basement for many years (and the way they're trending I don't see that happening), and/or the fans come much less than they are now.

You have to remember, that even though the rink is empty a lot of nights, the tickets are paid for, and that's all that matters. The Panthers were not even the worst team in terms of paid attendance last year (3rd from the bottom) and both the New York Islanders and Phoenix Coyotes were worse. The Islanders drop in attendance is likely due to their announced move to Brooklyn, and the Coyotes are the Coyotes and probably won't improve until they play a more entertaining style. Still, the Panthers attendance is right behind the Columbus Blue Jackets, who had a relatively successful season. There's no talk of moving that team anywhere, and they likely have a much smaller population and economic base to pull from. Winnipeg is considered a success, simply because the building is full to capacity every night, but only 15000 a night (just 500 more than the Panthers).

Finances shouldn't be such a problem since the Panthers were 23rd in average ticket price, a mere $5 per ticket behind teams like Detroit, Philadelphia, and Dallas, all fairly stable teams economically, and almost $30 more than Anaheim, where they've had a lot of success and there's plenty of money to support a team. The Panthers ticket prices, in relation to their success, is probably pretty good, if not higher than it should be.

The real issue seems to be % of capacity. The Panthers are the lowest in the league by quite a bit at 75.5% capacity (the league average is 95.6%). The Coyotes are next at around 80%, and then Columbus at 82%. This is the issue that will be helped by building a winning team. If the Panthers can be in or around the playoff picture for the next 3-5 years, the fans will start to come out, but it takes sustained success to get the fans to come back more than they are now. If the Panthers were to operate at, or near, capacity of 19250, they would be top 10 in attendance. Even if they kept their average ticket price where it is now, they would still be one of the most financially viable teams in the league.

Realistically, Viola sees the potential windfall of a winning team in South Florida. Hockey will never be the go to sport here, but it can be financially successful if you just win more often than not. There's no reason not to believe them. The only way they move is if they fail to build a winning team at any point. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I still believe this coming summer will determine the fate of the franchise for the next decade. All eyes will be on Tallon and South Florida hosting the draft. The spotlight should put pressure for tallon and crew to bring in the big name talent this team is still missing especially right when the youngsters will start becoming dominant. We also have a ton of bad money coming off the books iirc and so next summer I'm realy hoping they bring in Pavel V.2 to get people excited again.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
I still believe this coming summer will determine the fate of the franchise for the next decade. All eyes will be on Tallon and South Florida hosting the draft. The spotlight should put pressure for tallon and crew to bring in the big name talent this team is still missing especially right when the youngsters will start becoming dominant. We also have a ton of bad money coming off the books iirc and so next summer I'm realy hoping they bring in Pavel V.2 to get people excited again.

That's interesting, but I don't know who they would go after. Having a quick look at the UFA list for this upcoming off-season right now (I'm sure quite a few will be signed throughout the year and before July 1st) there isn't a lot of names to get excited about:

Jason Spezza
Bobby Ryan
Mike Fisher
Chris Stewart
Christian Ehrhoff
Marc Staal
Justin Williams
Johnny Oduya
Johnny Boychuk

I don't see a whole lot of elite talent there. The only way Tallon gets a big name is through trade IMO.

CoolburnIsGone

It's unrealistic to expect that an entity that loses tens of millions of dollars every year can continue to do so indefinitely. I don't know what you mean by situation arises, he'll own the team till it's clear that he can't make money off them, or they turn it around. Not me nor anyone else has any idea of what his long term plan is. I feel better from this because at least it's evident that for now he hasn't planned any relocation.
Absolutely, thats why both of the last 2 owners sold the team, they were tired of continually losing money. By "situation arises", I meant as that could be several different things...the county refuses to give them anything they are asking and it becomes obvious that the team will continue to lose money, an ownership group/individual approaches him offering to purchase the team at a premium and that group/individual intends to relocate, or he gets an offer from another location that makes more financial sense to relocate on his own. You're right that we dont know his long term plans but I dont think even he knows his long term plans quite yet. It seems like he's waiting to see what happens with the on-ice product as well as the county and then he will probably start making plans.
Even with a favorable lease with the arena, they are losing money and a lot of it. The fact that the county commissioners have hired a consultant to analyze what they would be losing if the team relocated, suggests they dont trust what the franchise is telling them and want to know what they really would be losing. We really dont know what the county is willing/not willing for the situation to become at this point.

As far as the league goes and the US TV contract, who says the team isn't relocated to a US market? The latest rumor is that Vegas has shown interest in having a team. In addition, previously there was interest from Seattle which is a major market. There's no reason that the league would stop a relocation if it becomes apparent due to a US TV contract if its moving to another US location. If anything, the latest Canadian TV contract shows you how much money could be added to the league and the US TV contract may not be as important as we hope.
No doubt this is a PR ploy with double-sided intentions.

1) Try and put to rest the "rumors" so (casual) fans don't think they're going to leave. If people here think the Panthers will leave, then why come to the games this season? The timing of the letter is proof of that. Training camp starts tomorrow. They want fans to be excited about the upcoming season, not worried about off-ice stuff.

but at the same time:

2) it puts pressure on the county and make them look like the bad guys if/when they don't give into the demands
You are absolutely right that this is definitely more of a PR ploy that anything else. Its a way to try to reassure a customer base while putting the onus on the county to keep the team here by giving in to the requests. I still dont see the county giving in though based on their actions to investigate the result of losing the team due to relocation and that there will be elections soon that commissioners won't want to have their names attached to something that would not help them get re-elected. As you said, its probably not a ploy that will work with the county anyway.
that being said, actions speak louder than words. didn't viola just buy an airline that is based in South Florida? Didn't he live his entire life in NY and move down here as well?

i find it hard to believe Bettman would allow them to move the team. it makes no sense from a league perspective.

the way the Viner-to-Viola sale occured, I get the feeling Viola guaranteed Bettman he would keep the team down here.

The sale happened too quickly. The team was for sale less than a month and Viola was the first (and only) bidder. Moving Florida to Quebec or some smaller US market makes absolutely zero sense from a league perspective. N-O-N-E. There's no way
Yes he invested in the relaunch of Eastern Airlines (which has yet to earn their FAA licenses but they will eventually) but that has little bearing on the situation at hand. He's a board member and its not uncommon for board members to fly in from other locations.

Based on this recent article, he still has not sold his NY home which I assume means he has yet to fully move to South Florida either. And he's had to reduce his ridiculous asking price too on his home from $114M to $98M (which he still won't get). That's on top of the IPO for his company being scrapped due to the investigations into the HFT companies as well. Until he's purchased a home down here, I wouldn't be so sure about some of the things you're saying.

http://www.mynextfone.co.uk/news/it...-trader-vincent-viola-s-best-year-h29993.html

It only makes no sense from the league perspective if they are going to lose something significant. If the league (and its other teams) continue having to contribute revenue sharing money to keeping certain teams afloat, they won't hesitate to allow teams to relocate eventually. Most people expect that the Arizona team will be relocated sooner rather than later, especially with the out-clause they have now.

As far as the sale of the team goes, it was not something that happened quickly at all. I know from 1st hand knowledge that the team was potentially available for the entire previous season to when it was sold (was mostly looking for additional investors) and it was decided towards the end of that season that it was something that was available and the team contacted Bettman who knew of someone in Viola who already showed interest in owning a team. It only went quickly because of the aspect that Bettman found someone for Viner to sell to after he decided it was available.

It only makes sense to the league for the team to relocate if there is a better situation for the league to do so. It all comes down to economics and regardless of population sizes, etc thats the only thing that will matter, the bottom line. None of us know whether this location or Quebec or another US market would be better in that aspect right now. If the losses keep mounting, another market could provide better support for a franchise via a more favorable lease deal.
Assuming Bettman wants to keep the team in Florida, which his actions in Phoenix prove he likely does, why wouldn't he exhaust his options with different owners that were more dedicated to this market?

Viola moved his family here. (alot of team owners own teams and live in different cities). He bought/started a ****ing airline here.
Here's the thing though, the actions by Bettman were to prevent a team from going into bankruptcy and thus affect the value of ALL the other teams in the league. What he did in Phoenix was attempt to retain value in a franchise for the rest of the teams. The desire to keep it in that area was a side product really and it may be for nothing if that out-clause is invoked.

As far as the Panthers, he just tried to find a suitable buyer for the FL franchise when it became available. Its not like he was looking for a local buyer either or you would've heard more publicity about the team being for sale and being shopped (like what happened when Huzienga sold the team). There's nothing in the sale to Viola that suggests Bettman is totally committed to this area. He sure would like to keep it down here but the reasoning you are giving really the truth.

Actually, I dont believe he has moved down here yet. I'm sure that will have to wait until he sells his NYC home and that still has not happened. Maybe Travis has moved down here but I dont think anyone saw Vinnie in the arena but 3-4 times last season. As far as "started/bought" an airline, no he didn't. The airline was actually bought in 2011 by a group that wanted to relaunch the brand. They had a round of investment that Viola contributed to and will be a board member as a major stock holder. Thats not the same thing as "buying" the airline, he's just investing in it. And there's no reason to think that will have anything to do with the situation with the Panthers. Board meetings of companies only usually happen quarterly so he would only need to be here 4 times per year to fulfill those obligations so he could do that living anywhere.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
That's interesting, but I don't know who they would go after. Having a quick look at the UFA list for this upcoming off-season right now (I'm sure quite a few will be signed throughout the year and before July 1st) there isn't a lot of names to get excited about:

Jason Spezza
Bobby Ryan
Mike Fisher
Chris Stewart
Christian Ehrhoff
Marc Staal
Justin Williams
Johnny Oduya
Johnny Boychuk

I don't see a whole lot of elite talent there. The only way Tallon gets a big name is through trade IMO.

Not to derail the thread but I think with a finish in or just outside playoffs you package the pick and some other stuff (Kulikov) to acquire that elite talent.

We need chicago/tallons version of hossa trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad