Player Discussion: Vincent Lecavalier

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How good was he when playing for this team? What type of impact did he have on the ice?

Would a prime Lecavalier in todays NHL have an impact?

Just asking out of curiosity.

250px-Vincent_Lecavalier_2007.jpg

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
At his best, he was one of the best players in the world. We didn't get to see his best for more than a couple of years though.

And he'd be fine in today's NHL. Probably his biggest knock is his footspeed wasn't elite, but he wasn't a snail either.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Pretty much what Macho said. Vinny wasn't gonna beat you in a footrace as much as he would put the puck into your skates and slip around you in a sneaky fashion before you even realized what happened. Whenever he needed space he made it himself. His one timer was effective and he could thread the needle on any pass.

He was as complete a player as you'd ever find

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
If he was 20 years old he'd rival Stammer or Kucherov. He's an incredibly good player.

He just had a career altering injury that was impossible to come back from, literally cutting his time by half (if not more) of being 'truly elite'.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Funny, he's one of my favorite players all time but wasn't as "perfect" as people remember. I respect him because of how much growth he showed over his career and how much he showed up when it counted.

Lecavalier had entitlement issues when he was younger, incredibly hot heated (guy took a ton of unnecessary penalties because he was easily baited) and sucked defensively, actually he sucked defensively for the majority of his career I think the only season he was actually respectable in that regard was final year here.

He was a high pick (the high pick) had a x factor about his game which kept people in awe and waiting until he could put it all together (let me know if this sounds familiar). I guarantee you if social media and internet boards were as prominent back then the 18-21 year old Lecavalier would've been ripped to shreds and if Steve Yzerman were the GM at that time he wouldn't have hesitated to trade him.

Instead he was given a chance to grow out of his immaturity and he did, his offense came together, his defense got better, he matured as a person, became respected around the league and the cornerstone of the franchise. Sad we couldn't show the same patience with Drouin even though they clearly made progress last season.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If he was 20 years old he'd rival Stammer or Kucherov. He's an incredibly good player.

He just had a career altering injury that was impossible to come back from, literally cutting his time by half (if not more) of being 'truly elite'.

He was not very good at 20.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Elite offensive skill and excellent size to skating ratio. He should have won the Hart one year. Probably the best comparable today is Ryan Johansen. Directly compared to how he'd perform today, I think he would trade a little size for some speed.

Reactions: JFleegs

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL

He won the slapshot competition, the maurice richard trophy, a stanley cup, threw some checks, and could fight. I would say he was a power forward that had a vicious shot, but can dish out some sauce with the passes.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
A prime Vinny today would be a top 15-20 forward in the league. Maybe top 15-20 player. The league is a bit different now then when he was at his best, so I'm thinking his good not great speed would hold him back a bit. Offensive skills were elite though.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Elite offensive skill and excellent size to skating ratio. He should have won the Hart one year. Probably the best comparable today is Ryan Johansen. Directly compared to how he'd perform today, I think he would trade a little size for some speed.

He was unreal that 2006-2007 season we had no depth st.louis and vinny carried us to the playoffs

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
A prime vinny a top 15 NHL player easy probably 35-40 goals and 75-80 points

I like these point totals. I don't know if prime Vinny could hit 90-100 points in today's nhl. In Vinny's prime years, he and Marty really beat up some bad SE division teams. With the old scheduling you'd face Florida, Carolina, Washington (before they got good), and Atlanta 8 times a year each and only saw a handful of western conference foes. Today scoring is down and we have a more competitive division, just better overall league parity, and a harder schedule to play through.

NightMist

Mar 18, 2021
Vinny Lecavalier is to me, more important to the Franchise than St.Louis. Vinny's commitment to the Tampa Area is still felt, and even after his buyout, he never held a grudge. His buyout crushed me way more than dealing St.Louis. I knew he wasn't going to be a 50 goal guy ever again, but I wanted Yzerman to find a way to keep him. We immediately turned around with the Vinny buyout and invested in Val Filpulla instead. Unfortunately for Lecavalier, he spent wasted years heading down Philly's depth chart to 4th line. Glad he got that last enjoyable L.A stint. My respect for Vinny only grew when he moved back to Tampa. If he had hit 1,000 pts he might have had a borderline HOF chance. In Montreal, he is still revered.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
My signed photo of the simultaneous punch to the faces of VL4 and Iginla has pride of place in my home office. Turning point of cup run. Last home game the year before my kids were signed up to take a photo with him on the ice, but there were was a mix up and he had left already. They took us to outside of the dressing room and he came out in tee shirt and shorts, and offered to put his gear back on, but we said no, so we have possibly the only photo with him and the kids , with him just out of the shower.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
How good was he when playing for this team? What type of impact did he have on the ice?

Would a prime Lecavalier in todays NHL have an impact?

Just asking out of curiosity.

250px-Vincent_Lecavalier_2007.jpg
He was one of the best goal scorers in his era, but injuries really dampened his slapshot and play. He still lives in the TB area and coaches youth hockey. WE see him before our beer league sometimes and ask him if he wants to play. He just laughs. I see him taking Jay Feasters role in the future.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad