Player Discussion Vincent Desharnais

Should he see the ice again in these playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 54 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 47.6%

• Total voters

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
His ability to play very physical and not take penalties often should have a positive effect come playoff time. You're right, he's made himself firmly an NHL defenseman
Yes, for sure! Maybe he could also develop his fighting techniques and scrum techniques so players would not be as keen to engage him so often. He's still got some serious potential.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pretty remarkable story. Counted out at every level he's played at from midget age to present day yet grinds to find a way to make teams and continue to grow in responsibilities and ice-time. No short cut taken. A story and person which is easy to cheer for. Worthy of the Masterton Trophy nomination. Well done Vinnie. Well done.

As for contract re-signing this is a bit of a tightrope walk. We're talking a right shot prime years d-man with elite size, PK specialization on a strong team, cycle breaker with developing game that's refining rough spots. Within squinting eye shot range, left shot late developer Steeler got contract length and term at $2.7 mill per season. I don't expect Desharnais to sign for anything less than $1.5 million with a 3 year security blanket or gulp maybe stretching to 4 year to drag AAV. He's also bet on himself to beat long odds to secure an NHL job. Seems viable to wait until free agency to bet on the market.

There's a premium on right-shot d-men. Anything under $2 million per year will be a win win I think for player and team imo.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Not a pairing in his pairing, but would it be safe to say that Desharnais has become our 5th defenseman?

I think our third pairing is very strong and I'm also a Kulak fan, but just with minutes played and the PK responsibility his place on the team is slightly more important. I also think Vincent is more comfortable sliding up in a pinch (similar to what I like about Kulak!).

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Pretty remarkable story. Counted out at every level he's played at from midget age to present day yet grinds to find a way to make teams and continue to grow in responsibilities and ice-time. No short cut taken. A story and person which is easy to cheer for. Worthy of the Masterton Trophy nomination. Well done Vinnie. Well done.

As for contract re-signing this is a bit of a tightrope walk. We're talking a right shot prime years d-man with elite size, PK specialization on a strong team, cycle breaker with developing game that's refining rough spots. Within squinting eye shot range, left shot late developer Steeler got contract length and term at $2.7 mill per season. I don't expect Desharnais to sign for anything less than $1.5 million with a 3 year security blanket or gulp maybe stretching to 4 year to drag AAV. He's also bet on himself to beat long odds to secure an NHL job. Seems viable to wait until free agency to bet on the market.

There's a premium on right-shot d-men. Anything under $2 million per year will be a win win I think for player and team imo.

His game is taylor made for the playoffs. Once the refs put the whistles away and the game turns into a physical battle he's more than capable. I don't think it's an accident that his trajectory this year kept going up as the playoffs approached.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd love to see him re-sign with us this summer, but I fully expect some dumb GM to give him the Erik Gudbranson special (4M X 4 years), which we can't touch.

I like the idea of trying to lock him up long term if he would do that at a lower cap hit. The old Calle Jarnkrok 6 year, 2M cap hit deal would be fine.

I wonder if Broberg could play 2nd pair RD with Nurse next year. I don't really want to move on from our Kulak-Desharnais pairing if we don't have to.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd love to see him re-sign with us this summer, but I fully expect some dumb GM to give him the Erik Gudbranson special (4M X 4 years), which we can't touch.

I like the idea of trying to lock him up long term if he would do that at a lower cap hit. The old Calle Jarnkrok 6 year, 2M cap hit deal would be fine.

I wonder if Broberg could play 2nd pair RD with Nurse next year. I don't really want to move on from our Kulak-Desharnais pairing if we don't have to.
This is where I am as well.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

Or the Scott Mayfield 5 year, 1.45M cap hit deal

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
His game is taylor made for the playoffs. Once the refs put the whistles away and the game turns into a physical battle he's more than capable. I don't think it's an accident that his trajectory this year kept going up as the playoffs approached.
I think the game has really slowed down for him this playoff. Far more disciplined, structured and controlled play. No longer chasing the big hit and getting himself caught out of position. Far more confident with the puck. Penalty killing quality is clearly coming into focus with his reach and heavy play to help cycle break. Vinnie seems to be a sponge for learning. Solid growth. We'll see true tests against track meet teams like Vancouver or Colorado if the Oil get on a run.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

He bypassed Kulak on the depth chart by now. Plays 17 minutes a night.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think the game has really slowed down for him this playoff. Far more disciplined, structured and controlled play. No longer chasing the big hit and getting himself caught out of position. Far more confident with the puck. Penalty killing quality is clearly coming into focus with his reach and heavy play to help cycle break. Vinnie seems to be a sponge for learning. Solid growth. We'll see true tests against track meet teams like Vancouver or Colorado if the Oil get on a run.

I looked at his gamelogs earlier today and if i remember correctly his worst games were against Colorado and Vancouver. However those games were played at the beginning of the season where we sucked and at the end when the team didn't care too much about the results.

So like you said the real test is going to be in the next rounds if we get past the Kings.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I was reading someone on the HockeyWriters say that Stauffer was quoted as saying they are going 6-7 years on him since it will lower AAV and he'd still only be 33 or 34 when expiring... basically the only way to keep him is to commit big time.

I'm ok, in fact very supportive, of that in principle, but the number they threw around was "to keep it below $2.5M because on a shorter deal someone will certainly give him more". That has me a bit frightened.

If we can get him 6 x 1.8M or something like that we should be happy... this guy is very good at what he does, and what he does quietly helps win you hockey games.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I was reading someone on the HockeyWriters say that Stauffer was quoted as saying they are going 6-7 years on him since it will lower AAV and he'd still only be 33 or 34 when expiring... basically the only way to keep him is to commit big time.

I'm ok, in fact very supportive, of that in principle, but the number they threw around was "to keep it below $2.5M because on a shorter deal someone will certainly give him more". That has me a bit frightened.

If we can get him 6 x 1.8M or something like that we should be happy... this guy is very good at what he does, and what he does quietly helps win you hockey games.
6 years at $1.8M would be a very interesting deal.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
6 years at $1.8M would be a very interesting deal.
He'd get the security though I could understand if he might hesitate at that as well.

With the older start to his NHL career plus his general skillset he would be a "not in the league for too many years" candidate. A balancing act of shorter contracts for higher payouts vs the security would probably be a challenging consideration.

Reactions: MessierII

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really can't see the guy taking less than 2mil on any kind of deal. Probably should fire his agent if he does.
There are reasons to take a lesser deal.

Long term gives guaranteed security. He's a guy where a couple years ago he had to think about maybe finding income out of hockey. With huge term making just under $2 million per, all of a sudden he can plan out his whole retirement.

Also, he likes the team and may recognize that leaving cash on the table helps the team a ton.

He's also the type that would be recognized in town and could even get some endorsement money on the side

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He'd get the security though I could understand if he might hesitate at that as well.

With the older start to his NHL career plus his general skillset he would be a "not in the league for too many years" candidate. A balancing act of shorter contracts for higher payouts vs the security would probably be a challenging consideration.
It would also get him very close to a full pension. That is something we don't talk about often but for a guy with 10 years it is $275K US per year indexed to inflation at age 62. That's nothing to sneeze at.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

That would be a big win for both player and organization. Vinny belongs here and seems like a loyal guy. No guarantee success follows elsewhere (see Kostin)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That would be a big win for both player and organization. Vinny belongs here and seems like a loyal guy. No guarantee success follows elsewhere (see Kostin)
Also lower AAV means that the nightmare scenario is having to bury him or buy him out, but the dead cap will be negligible.

Lower term lowers the risk in a way, but it ramps up the risk in the short term if something goes wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad