Prospect Info: Vilmer Alriksson: 107th Overall 2023 Draft (Djurgadren Jr.) - LW

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Big boy! 6'6'' and 214lbs.

Vilmer AlrikssonLWSwedenSwe-JrFeb 18, 2005431292194 (EUR)6'6''214lbs

Elite Prospects Scouting Report

The success that Elmer Söderblom has enjoyed in recent years should help create a market for Vilmer Alriksson in this year’s draft. After all, the 6-foot-6 winger outproduced his natural comparable at the J20 level at the same age, with 21 points in 43 games for Djurgårdens.

For someone his age and size, Alriksson is already a capable skater. He already seems to check most of the boxes related to ankle flexion, hip usage, and stride depth, though his skating remained a bit inconsistent throughout the season.

His playing style doesn’t exactly fit his stature; his game flows through his skill more than his physical strength. While there’s still a clear lack of finesse, he usually had at least one or two impressive moments per game, beating defenders with body fakes off the rush or flashing intriguing shooting skill from in tight.

To become a legitimate NHL prospect, Alriksson needs to add more meat around the bones. Currently, he’s far from being a play-driver and relied a lot on his linemates at getting him the puck in favourable positions. He needs to learn to use his frame to his advantage more regularly; right now, he’s actually not that good at puck battles.There’s also a lot of room for improvement defensively.

While we didn’t see him as a pick, Alriksson will probably hear his name called during the second day of the draft.

Last edited:

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Three reaches in a row. Really betting on their scouts.

Pretty underwhelming stats for a forward in the Swedish junior league.

Jesus, that's a big boy.

Wonder where he's slated to play next season.

My guess is splitting time between Djurgarden's junior and Allsvenkan teams. Another full season in Swedish juniors would be a big red flag.

Reactions: Lindgren

just22

Aug 2, 2009
who makes these picks? do they just hand off to some lesser known scout and are just like, pick whoever you want? cause I can’t imagine the entire scouting staff came to a consensus to draft an absolute plug lol

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
who makes these picks? do they just hand off to some lesser known scout and are just like, pick whoever you want? cause I can’t imagine the entire scouting staff came to a consensus to draft an absolute plug lol

Todd Harvey.

Reactions: Lindgren

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If it's a Swedish player, it's a Gradin pick probably

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Thats what i was thinking too when i was checking his credentials.

He started as a scout after 2017 after being an assistant coach in the OHL for a few years.

He went from never scouting to director of scouting in 3 years after Brackett left.

And yes, he probably has some kind of brain damage after being an enforcer in the league.

Not sure if he should be running an entire scouting department.

Its really concerning with this 4th round what they look for in players.
Didn't realize this was his backstory, to go from Judd Brackett to him is hilarious.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
starting after the seattle pick, I have no idea who these guys on the 4th rnd are.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
You look at past drafts and how many times the next player after the Canucks pick turned out to be the guy they should have picked. Well this one is obvious. How do you pass on a big right shot dman from your own backyard for a guy would have been available in the 6th or 7th round.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
You look at past drafts and how many times the next player after the Canucks pick turned out to be the guy they should have picked. Well this one is obvious. How do you pass on a big right shot dman from your own backyard for a guy would have been available in the 6th or 7th round.
Other than Virtanen and Juolevi when has that ever happened? Especially in the later rounds of the draft?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Other than Virtanen and Juolevi when has that ever happened? Especially in the later rounds of the draft?
Thinking Lind/Hague
Jett Woo/Alexander Romanov another one.
But those were both 2nd round.
McCann/Pastrnak is another 1st round one.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
Thinking Lind/Hague
Jett Woo/Alexander Romanov another one.
But those were both 2nd round.
McCann/Pastrnak is another 1st round one.
Exactly, all first or second round of the draft. Once you get to the mid to late rounds of the draft there's no longer any "can't miss" prospects to select and its essentially a dice roll with an extremely low chance that any of them will play NHL games. Whether its Hoyt Stanley or Vilmer Alriksson, they're both around the same tier of prospect and both will likely never amount to anything anyway.

Reactions: wetcoast

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
If we're being optimistic, the fact that we're going way off board means that we've developed strong opinions, so maybe that's an indication that we have information / have done homework on a player that's not generally available?

Whether that research leads to accurate opinions remains to be seen.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I really want to know if any teams called in the 4th round looking to trade up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Scouts kept weighing in that 2023 was shaping up as one of the deepest drafts since 2003.

I guess that's one of the reasons this draft just seemed so underwhelming for the Canucks.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Scouts kept weighing in that 2023 was shaping up as one of the deepest drafts since 2003.

I guess that's one of the reasons this draft just seemed so underwhelming for the Canucks.
When they talk about a draft being deep they are talking primarily about the first round. And even more that there are high ceiling players outside the first few picks. It’s not something that extends into something like round 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad