Prospect Info: Ville Ottavainen (Round 4, 99 overall)

AarG

Oct 11, 2021

The guy had his head down but a hit to the head is a hit to the head

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think and i could be 100% wrong usually european contracts have an out clause for these situations and probably state as such in the transfer agreement with the NHL.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm still learning 2 years in about certain operations but in a typical draft class, how many picked players go on to sign like the above? Do most or is there a certain % that would mean a 'good' draft with the ultimate judgement being how many make the NHL? If he didn't sign his ELC what would it mean, are you essentially barred from playing in the AHL and NHL until you do? Why isn't Is signed when players are first drafted? Is there pros and cons of not signing?

Give me a few years and I'll be an effin oracle at the knowledge of this stuff. I learned all the other north american sports when I moved from Scotland 11 years ago- NFL, MLB, college sports and MLS (and it's weird roster rules) but if Seattle doesn't have a team your pretty much dead to me.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm still learning 2 years in about certain operations but in a typical draft class, how many picked players go on to sign like the above? Do most or is there a certain % that would mean a 'good' draft with the ultimate judgement being how many make the NHL? If he didn't sign his ELC what would it mean, are you essentially barred from playing in the AHL and NHL until you do? Why isn't Is signed when players are first drafted? Is there pros and cons of not signing?

Give me a few years and I'll be an effin oracle at the knowledge of this stuff. I learned all the other north american sports when I moved from Scotland 11 years ago- NFL, MLB, college sports and MLS (and it's weird roster rules) but if Seattle doesn't have a team your pretty much dead to me.
Teams hold the rights to players they drafted for a certain amount of years and players usually sign with them to come over from Europe.
If they don't they'll have to wait a couple of years to just sign in the AHL
The amount of years varies given different agreements with junior leagues, colleges or euorpean teams.

Here are some rules on signing players/draft rights.

1) Canadian Hockey League (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) Players: Teams that a draft a CHL player have two years to sign him to an entry-level contract before forfeiting the player's NHL rights. The affected player can re-enter the NHL Draft and, if unselected, becomes an unrestricted free agent.

For collegiate and college-track players, NHL teams hold the rights to drafted prospects for the duration of their NCAA eligibility.

In the case of a player who spends his draft-plus-year in an amateur junior A league such as the USHL before starting college, it could be a five-year signing window.

For players drafted from European countries, the signing window depends on the age at which the player is drafted and whether his home country's hockey federation has a transfer agreement with the NHL.

In the case of Ottavainen it's an agreement between Liiga(finish league) and the NHL with his draft age playing a role as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad