Prospect Info: Ville Ottavainen (Round 4, 99 overall)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Summary from Black Book.

Positives:

- Physical
- Hard point shot (rocket launcher)
- Good skater
- Good puck skills

Negatives:

- Bad vision
- Over commits to physicality at times, leads to being out of position
- Style of puck-handling can lead to turnovers

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Appears to be a stay at-home D-man at first glance.

Ville Ottavainen - Elite Prospects
Not really, he can move the puck. Probably was told to play a more conservative game in the adult league.

He was Carson Lambos' D partner in Finland U20 league, I though his play was more noticeable than Lambos at lot of times. If you want to watch video, look for Lambos shift by shift videos.

I like the pick, he just needs some refinement to his game on both ends. I though Detroit would go after him, but they had other plans for D.

Torspo21

mailataikuri
Dec 15, 2009
Oijärvi
torspo21.blogspot.com
Saw him playing for the first time today against Kärpät, and I was impressed. Very good passes and was eager to join the attack, so didn´t appear to be too much of a defensive defenseman. Picked up two assists as well (they won 1-5).

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Not really, he can move the puck. Probably was told to play a more conservative game in the adult league.

He was Carson Lambos' D partner in Finland U20 league, I though his play was more noticeable than Lambos at lot of times. If you want to watch video, look for Lambos shift by shift videos.

I like the pick, he just needs some refinement to his game on both ends. I though Detroit would go after him, but they had other plans for D.
Ottawa should have gone after him :D

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ottawa should have gone after him :D
Assuming that's a joke based on his name, but I'm good with my current local team picking him, I think he's got a lot of upside for a 4th round pick. He's got a lot of skills if you watch Carson Lambos shift by shift videos.

Even if he doesn't pan out, this is the type of player you want your team to pick in later rounds. Skates well, has puck skills, big, high potential. Surprising he dropped to the 4th round considering the number of teams scouting Lambos.

Reactions: mattihp

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Definitely a stay at home guy in a pairing but with time and development he could become a solid defender. Going to be 3 or 4 years at least though. The key thing here is he's a right shot D man. Team is solid at left D, thinner at right.
At this point I think he could be what Will Borgen already is.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Definitely a stay at home guy in a pairing but with time and development he could become a solid defender. Going to be 3 or 4 years at least though. The key thing here is he's a right shot D man. Team is solid at left D, thinner at right.
At this point I think he could be what Will Borgen already is.
You need to watch JYP U20 shift by shift videos for Lambos (his partner) if you think he's stay at home. He certainly is not.

I have not watched him in Liiga yet, but he might be playing more conservatively in the pro league since he's basically still a rookie.

Mar 12, 2009
I only saw him 2 seasons ago with Kitchener. He got off to a hot start and then faded. Showed an interesting package of size, skating and skill and a desire to carry the pucks. Interested to see how he progresses, could be an interesting pick if he learns to put some things together.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
You need to watch JYP U20 shift by shift videos for Lambos (his partner) if you think he's stay at home. He certainly is not.

I have not watched him in Liiga yet, but he might be playing more conservatively in the pro league since he's basically still a rookie.

I'm not going to argue that, but I guess what I'm saying is with his skill set he could be developed into a solid stay at home D man. Lots of these kids like to do things at lower levels they really aren't suited for in the pros.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I have today’s Finland game recorded and will watch it if I have time once this madhouse settles down.
I’ll write up a little analysis if get the chance to watch it. It won’t be much though as this site is atrocious for posting anything extensive using a phone
Haha never mind, the game is tomorrow.:doh:

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seems like he has generated a lot more offense recently. 5 points over the last 5 games. Now upto 14 in 43 games.

I have been a little disappointed by his offense BUT keep forgetting that he is just a 19 year old playing in a Pro league. He has 3 points in 22 games last season so definitely looks like he is coming along pretty well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He looked good at the short time at world jrs I saw I think he has a good shot at being a bottom pairing guy
He's got potential to be more. There's actually a lot of video on him because he played with Lambos last season. There were quite a few games where he looked better than Lambos, don't let the draft position fool you, I think Francis got a bargain.

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
He's got potential to be more. There's actually a lot of video on him because he played with Lambos last season. There were quite a few games where he looked better than Lambos, don't let the draft position fool you, I think Francis got a bargain.
it’s cause he was an over ager. Would be nice Ronny did a good job with the 2021 draft

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
it’s cause he was an over ager. Would be nice Ronny did a good job with the 2021 draft
The cutoff birthday is Sep 15th, so he's really only a month overage. He's less than 3 months older than Beniers. Unlike Evans (2nd round pick) who was born the prior year, so he's a full year overage.

The other factor is his height, kids get a bit awkward on skates when they grow that much. A lot of taller players are late bloomers, from the highlights I watched he doesn't seem to have any major skating issues.

Overage or not, a 6'5" dman with decent skating is easily worth a 4th round pick. I was surprised he didn't go in the 3rd considering every team must have scouted Lambos.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The cutoff birthday is Sep 15th, so he's really only a month overage. He's less than 3 months older than Beniers. Unlike Evans (2nd round pick) who was born the prior year, so he's a full year overage.

The other factor is his height, kids get a bit awkward on skates when they grow that much. A lot of taller players are late bloomers, from the highlights I watched he doesn't seem to have any major skating issues.

Overage or not, a 6'5" dman with decent skating is easily worth a 4th round pick. I was surprised he didn't go in the 3rd considering every team must have scouted Lambos.
Appreciate the details on his skating. I have never seen him play but always wondered if he was good/average for his size or just slow.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Appreciate the details on his skating. I have never seen him play but always wondered if he was good/average for his size or just slow.
I'd say above average for his U20 league in the year he got drafted, have not watched his pro games this season. I was watching Lambos shift by shift videos and he was Lambos' partner. His height really sticks out in U20.

Keep in mind we're talking about U20 in Finalnd though. I did not notice any issues with skating mechanics, and I usually have a good eye for that because I teach skiing.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad