Ville de Québec Part X: Pousse mais pousse égal Gary! (Mod warning post #774)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Are you sure about Leafs games broadcast in the Ottawa market or are you guessing?
I am not quite certain that you can encroach on another teams market.If Quebec were to secure a new NHL team I am sure PKP would want all radio advertising revenue. I know of No NHL teams that share there radio market at this time except NY,and LA metro areas.

I don't think Quebecor owns any radio station.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
Are you sure about Leafs games broadcast in the Ottawa market or are you guessing?
I am not quite certain that you can encroach on another teams market.If Quebec were to secure a new NHL team I am sure PKP would want all radio advertising revenue. I know of No NHL teams that share there radio market at this time except NY,and LA metro areas.

No, I was just guessing. And now that you mention it, I guess I was guessing wrong. Leafs game are on TSN 1050 and the Fan 590 though and I am pretty sure it can be listenable at night in the Ottawa region.

I also thought that folks in Ottawa who had Sportsnet east and Ottario didn't have the blackout for the leaf, but I just consulted the map on sportsnet and only the orange region can have both telecasts.

That would certainly be fun if with the return of the Nordique RDS would need to blackout their regional Canadiens telecast in Quebec City. Habs fan would be piss off, and that's always fun to see.

Nordique game would be on CHOI, I guess, Reinald Brière of Radio nord being buddy with PKP.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
So any NHL team can broadcast there games in the
Quebec city market? I am sure PKP loves that idea!

More or less. BCE just got approved by CRTC the purchase of Astral. Currently, most of radio station in Quebec City are somehow part of Astral, there is maybe one of them part of Cogeco which is a neutral player when it comes to Bell / Quebecor.

Fact is, like anywhere, they are airing the closest team. If Nordiques would get back, I can tell you that there would be about 100 people listening to FM93 airing Habs and 200 000 people listening to CHOI FM airing Nordiques.

If I may add, about a year or two ago, when the Quebec was looking to find a future arena manager, there were only two groups who were eligible per city standards, but one of those groups was left out because they could not legally bring an NHL team. The other group was Quebecor. When that news came out the rumor was going around that the other group might have been Bell/Molson who intentionally tried to cockblock the new team in Quebec.

I can assure you one thing, if it would get known publicly with somekind of proof that Molson and/or Bell are against Nordiques comeback it would not be pretty at all. RDS is already considered pretty bad when it comes to quality of the telecast, and I know a whole bunch of people who prefer hockey on CBC, if it were to ever happen they blocked Nordiques comeback they would plummet harder than a duck who got shot in face. And I don't even wanna talk about Molson/Coors, but I can tell you that Labatt would be more than happy to help with a boycott.

Last edited:

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
More or less. BCE just got approved by CRTC the purchase of Astral. Currently, most of radio station in Quebec City are somehow part of Astral, there is maybe one of them part of Cogeco which is a neutral player when it comes to Bell / Quebecor.

Fact is, like anywhere, they are airing the closest team. If Nordiques would get back, I can tell you that there would be about 100 people listening to FM93 airing Habs and 200 000 people listening to CHOI FM airing Nordiques.

Back in the days, the Montreal game were on Radio-Canada and the Nordique on CHRC or CJRP. Habs always had a strong following, here in QC. I think they would still do pretty good, if they wouldn't be blackout(ed)

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I believe the leak about Governors wanting Quebec but Bettman wanting Seattle.

Bettman is in that expanding the range of the game business that would logically draw him to a bigger city like Seattle and the chance that it COULD become a big market for the league and a big success.

The governors want more certainty in the fact that they will improve their bottom line. Seattle's not certain to be a success, no matter how much Daly says Key Arena works, it has less seats than the Colisee and they are in no way certain of selling that out much less building a new venue that doesn't even have a shovel in the ground yet. So Quebec City has a bigger venue NOW with a new one being built NOW. Asides, QC is CERTAIN to not draw from revenue sharing, can Seattle say the same?

Also for other markets, like the NY teams, Ottawa, Toronto and both Florida teams, the QC fanbase can be counted on to travel and follow their team on the road just like Habs fans do.

They always say that Bettman works for the governors. Well the govs, I'm thinking Molson and Jacobs first, want the team in Quebec City. So where does that leave Bettman?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
They always say that Bettman works for the governors. Well the govs, I'm thinking Molson and Jacobs first, want the team in Quebec City. So where does that leave Bettman?

Hopefully looking for employment elsewhere.

I'm hoping if it comes down to Bettman wanting Seattle and the BoG wanting QC, Bettmen makes it his "hill to die on" and quits because he doesn't get his way. Unlikely, but we can always dream.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I believe the leak about Governors wanting Quebec but Bettman wanting Seattle.

Bettman is in that expanding the range of the game business that would logically draw him to a bigger city like Seattle and the chance that it COULD become a big market for the league and a big success.

The governors want more certainty in the fact that they will improve their bottom line. Seattle's not certain to be a success, no matter how much Daly says Key Arena works, it has less seats than the Colisee and they are in no way certain of selling that out much less building a new venue that doesn't even have a shovel in the ground yet. So Quebec City has a bigger venue NOW with a new one being built NOW. Asides, QC is CERTAIN to not draw from revenue sharing, can Seattle say the same?

Also for other markets, like the NY teams, Ottawa, Toronto and both Florida teams, the QC fanbase can be counted on to travel and follow their team on the road just like Habs fans do.

If the governors want Quebec City, it will go to Quebec City. There may be some disagreement but the storyline as if Governors want it while he NHL wants Seattle is stupid. It may be true that some governors want it, but the story screams to me more of the 'OMG Bettman hates Canada' boogeyman.

And I don't see exactly the huge benefits for other owners for having a QC team.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
You mean other than getting rid of the welfare queen in Phoenix for a money generator in QC right?

Well, I mean opposed to Seattle or some other city in which it will actually have an owner. I'm assuming that they are done in Phoenix now regardless.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Wow, I'm listening on fm 93.3 to the draft, and it's the Montreal people speaking... And they reminded me why I hated Montreal, they said:

''And so the Coyotes of... Glendale, maybe Seattle, Tacomah, Pheonix, wherever will pick next.''

I hate that they completely ignore the fact that they are broadcasted all over the province and completely ignore Quebec City.

seattletotems

Apr 3, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa
Wow, I'm listening on fm 93.3 to the draft, and it's the Montreal people speaking... And they reminded me why I hated Montreal, they said:

''And so the Coyotes of... Glendale, maybe Seattle, Tacomah, Pheonix, wherever will pick next.''

I hate that they completely ignore the fact that they are broadcasted all over the province and completely ignore Quebec City.

And that surprises you, why? They've always ignored you? lol

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
And that surprises you, why? They've always ignored you? lol

I guess I should have specified that most media in the Belle Province is centered in Montreal, and for them the world ends outside their tiny, dirty, corrupt, overpopulated and poor islands, even trough they broadcast Province wide. And that always annoyed me.

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
I don't know where that leak came from about the BOG wanting Quebec.

You guys really think everyone would be speaking of Seattle if that was the case?

I'd like to see Bettman tell the relocation comittee around the table "I understand you all want Quebec, but we'll go with Seattle"

There's a deeper problem on why the NHL is ignoring Quebec for now.

Shaz

Jan 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
If the Coyotes move to Seattle then I want QC to get an expansion very quickly

I'm not against QC in any way shape or form

Expansion or relocation for Seattle, either option works for me

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't know where that leak came from about the BOG wanting Quebec.

You guys really think everyone would be speaking of Seattle if that was the case?

I'd like to see Bettman tell the relocation comittee around the table "I understand you all want Quebec, but we'll go with Seattle"

There's a deeper problem on why the NHL is ignoring Quebec for now.

I believe it is all about price. I think PKP is not about to pay some absurd price for a team. If the league is selling a team for 170' I believe PKP buys it. This 230 million price that popped up awhile ago could be the stumbling block. Coincidence that apparently a Seattle group offered 220. Call me skeptical but I just don't believe it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sorry guys but Quebec is not getting the Coyotes...

Quote:
#Coyotes*G Mike Smith on re-signing: "Knowing that the two possibilities were Phoenix or Seattle, I had a good talk with my family and we felt comfortable with either situation."

#Coyotes*G Mike Smith on re-signing now rather than waiting less than a week to test free agency: "Could I have gotten more on the free market? I don’t know. Maybe, but I really do believe in what this organization is doing and I believe in Burkie goalie coach Sean Burke). He really helped develop me into a No. 1 goalie."After playing in the World (Championships) I had a strong belief I could play without Burkie, but he grew me into that player and I really believe he has helped my game. Working with guy like that carried a lot of weight in my decision."
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rl4270

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rl426i

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc

Quote:
#Coyotes*G Mike Smith on re-signing: "Knowing that the two possibilities were Phoenix or Seattle, I had a good talk with my family and we felt comfortable with either situation."

#Coyotes*G Mike Smith on re-signing now rather than waiting less than a week to test free agency: "Could I have gotten more on the free market? I don’t know. Maybe, but I really do believe in what this organization is doing and I believe in Burkie goalie coach Sean Burke). He really helped develop me into a No. 1 goalie."After playing in the World (Championships) I had a strong belief I could play without Burkie, but he grew me into that player and I really believe he has helped my game. Working with guy like that carried a lot of weight in my decision."

This is nominated best joke of the year.

Sure Smith knows whats gonna happen :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gimme a break.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Quote:

I'm sorry, but last time I checked Mike Smith isn't the Commissioner of the NHL.

And Doan also tought he knew where he was going when he signed last year. How did that work out? :laugh:

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
The one and only way to explain this, if its founded (which I dont believe) is we are definitely not looking at the right place but, I mean, it can't be.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
Could mean something, but then again, could mean nothing, it's not unlikely he would simply rely on the NHLPA memo, which in itself didn't seem to bring in new info.

The thing is (bear with me), if everyone believes, that «everyone» believes something, and thus believes it, then everyone eventually believes something without a true source.

It could be legitimate, absolutely. But I find that it is one of those «won't make anyone change its mind» news. And that is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad