Viktor's 2020 Mock Draft

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Let me get right out of the way and say this, my knowledge of this year's draft is very lacking to previous ones due to life and work, so take this list with a grain of salt haha. Although, I really wanted to put one out there just because I love making these, I've been waiting for a long while to make one and now finally I made a full list enjoy looking at names to logos!

The draft order of this draft is based on the NHL Tankathon Order as of 06/27

#1. :habs selects Alexis Lafreniere LW Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)

#2. :kings selects Quinton Byfield C Sudbery Wolves (OHL)

#3. (SJS) :sens selects Jamie Drysdale RD Erie Otters (OHL)

#4. :wings selects Tim Stutzle LW Alder Mannheim (DEL)

#5. :sens selects Marco Rossi C Ottawa 67's (OHL)

#6. :ducks2 selects Lukas Raymond LW Frolunda HC (SHL)

#7. :devils selects Yaroslav Askarov G SKA-Neva St. Petersburg (VHL)

#8. :sabres selects Cole Perfetti C Sagninaw Spirit (OHL)

#9. :hawks selects Anton Lundell C HIFK (Liiga)

#10. (ARZ) :devils selects Jack Quinn RW Ottawa 67's (OHL)

#11. :wild selects Alexander Holtz RW Djurgardens IF (SHL)

#12. :jets selects Connor Zary C Kamloops Blzaers (WHL)

#13. :rangers selects Seth Jarvis C Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

#14. :panthersselects Jake Sanderson LD U.S National U18 Team (USDP)

#15. :cbj selects Rodion Amirov LW Salavat Yulaev Ufa (KHL)

#16. :flames selects Dawson Mercer C Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL)

#17. (VAN) :devils selects Braden Schneider RD Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)

#18. :nashville selects Dylan Holloway C Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA)

#19. (TOR) :canesselects Lukas Reichel LW Eisbaren Berlin (DEL)

#20. :edmonton selects John-Jason Peterka RW EHC Munchen (DEL)

#21. (NYI) :sens selects Noel Gunler RW Lulea HF (SHL)

#22. :starsselects Jan Mysak C Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)

#23. (CAR) :rangersselects Mavrik Bourque C Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)

#24. (PIT) :wildselects Kaiden Guhle LD Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)

#25. :flyers selects Marat Khusnutdinov C SKA-1946 St. Petersburg (MHL)

#26. (TBL) :sharksselects Jacob Perreault RW Sarnia Sting (OHL)

#27. :avs selects Tyson Foerster RW Barrie Colts (OHL)

#28. :vegas selects William Wallinder LD MODO Hockey J20 (SuperElit)

#29. :caps selects Brendan Brisson C Chicago Steel (USHL)

#30. :bluesselects Helge Grans RD Malmo Redhawks J20 (SuperElit)

#31. (BOS) :ducks selects Lukas Cormier LD Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Dorian stated after the lottery in an interview pretty much he's been watching a lot of the German league and there are 2 players in the second tier after Laf. Stutzle will be their pick or Byfield at 3.

Reactions: edguy

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Whatever the first team is will select Lafreniere. So I'll move on with the rest.

2. Los Angeles - Tim Stutzle
- I think he fits their game better and is more of a guy who can switch from Centre to Left-Wing. I know it's a bit odd, but LA has enough centremen. I think their biggest need is a number 1 LHD.
3. Ottawa - Quinton Byfield
- Fits the Senators perfectly and is just the centreman they need going forward.
4. Detroit - Jamie Drysdale
- Ottawa now has Seider and Drysdale on the right side, but I could see them considering Rossi. But either way I see Detroit and/or Ottawa raking Rossi/Drysdale with either 4 or 5.
5. Ottawa - Marco Rossi
6. Anaheim - Lucas Raymond
7. New Jersey - Yaroslav Askarov
8. Buffalo - Cole Perfetti

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
2. Los Angeles - Tim Stutzle
- I think he fits their game better and is more of a guy who can switch from Centre to Left-Wing. I know it's a bit odd, but LA has enough centremen. I think their biggest need is a number 1 LHD.
3. Ottawa - Quinton Byfield
- Fits the Senators perfectly and is just the centreman they need going forward.
4. Detroit - Jamie Drysdale
- Ottawa now has Seider and Drysdale on the right side, but I could see them considering Rossi. But either way I see Detroit and/or Ottawa raking Rossi/Drysdale with either 4 or 5
It’s such a weird mess once Lafreniere gets drafted, there’s a bunch of really good players available. For me I just thought Byfield fits more into LA’s system as a big talented physical center-man, Drysdale to Ottawa just due to how awful the current Sens Defense is. I just can’t see them passing up on the best d-man in the draft. Yes, they did draft Lassi Thomson last year, and Branstrom as a lefty can play on the right side very well, but I just think Drysdale could be their future Top 2 guy to play along side with Chabot for the long term future. Then of course Detroit takes whoever LA and Ottawa doesn’t, unless they have a guy they really like, maybe they even take a giant risk on Askarov, this draft is gonna be super interesting.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
this draft is gonna be super interesting.

Especially without the WJC U18. There could have been some scenarios where players rose significantly. Byfield could have dominated and solidified 2OA or been unimpressive and slid to 4-6 range. Raymond/Holtz could have made a case for 2/3. Several other Swedish and Finnish players could have elevated their position into the first round (Hirvonen, Niederbach, Simontaival, Nybeck, Wallinder, Jurmo, etc.). Some observers place too much emphasis on international play, but there is a lot to be learned from watching best-on-best games. Especially about how players process hockey when facing skilled competition.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
Especially without the WJC U18. There could have been some scenarios where players rose significantly. Byfield could have dominated and solidified 2OA or been unimpressive and slid to 4-6 range. Raymond/Holtz could have made a case for 2/3. Several other Swedish and Finnish players could have elevated their position into the first round (Hirvonen, Niederbach, Simontaival, Nybeck, Wallinder, Jurmo, etc.). Some observers place too much emphasis on international play, but there is a lot to be learned from watching best-on-best games. Especially about how players process hockey when facing skilled competition.
For sure we definitely missed out on some risers and fallers with the WJC’s, I think with my mock I’ll probably get 1/31 correct with Laf going #1 :laugh:

Reactions: emptyNedder

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
It’s such a weird mess once Lafreniere gets drafted, there’s a bunch of really good players available. For me I just thought Byfield fits more into LA’s system as a big talented physical center-man, Drysdale to Ottawa just due to how awful the current Sens Defense is. I just can’t see them passing up on the best d-man in the draft. Yes, they did draft Lassi Thomson last year, and Branstrom as a lefty can play on the right side very well, but I just think Drysdale could be their future Top 2 guy to play along side with Chabot for the long term future. Then of course Detroit takes whoever LA and Ottawa doesn’t, unless they have a guy they really like, maybe they even take a giant risk on Askarov, this draft is gonna be super interesting.

Ottawa's defence is not that bad at all. They could probably get him at 5 anyways. So defence is really not a priority for the Sens for their first pick at 3. As I stated in the post above Dorian has been watching a lot of the German league. They need an elite number 1 center. They don't have that in their system. Sooo Stutzle or Byfield will be their pick as much as you can't see that.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
Ottawa's defence is not that bad at all. They could probably get him at 5 anyways. So defence is really not a priority for the Sens for their first pick at 3. As I stated in the post above Dorian has been watching a lot of the German league. They need an elite number 1 center. They don't have that in their system. Sooo Stutzle or Byfield will be their pick as much as you can't see that.
avoid-asking-5.jpg

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Other than Stutzle I like it.

I like Mercer as a Flames fan. No complaints there. Wouldn’t mind Holloway or Lapierre either (even though he slipped out of the first)

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
As a Devils fan
If we pick Askarov at #7 our fanbase will likely collectively commit suicide
I do not think he is necessary for our team given the recent emergence of young goalie Blackwood

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
As a Devils fan
If we pick Askarov at #7 our fanbase will likely collectively commit suicide
I do not think he is necessary for our team given the recent emergence of young goalie Blackwood
I can understand not wanting to take a goaltender with ur top 10 pick, but man, I think Askarov is a can't miss future stud goaltender, I mean having a guy who could be your starter for like 10+ years would definitely be worth taking him that high. Your prospect pool is pretty full of good potential forwards, and defenders, but even though Blackwood I think is a solid goaltender, I just think Askarov is on a different level. I hope devils fans dont commit suicide over a goalie getting possibly picked (ik ur over exaggerating dont worry)

The Rangers will be all over Sanderson if he's still there at 13.
I just had the Rangers taking the best player available on my list, their prospect pool is pretty stacked, and I guess I thought since they have some good defenders for the future (Lundkvist, Miller, and Robertson) and thought they could add another great forward for the future in Jarvis.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I can understand not wanting to take a goaltender with ur top 10 pick, but man, I think Askarov is a can't miss future stud goaltender, I mean having a guy who could be your starter for like 10+ years would definitely be worth taking him that high. Your prospect pool is pretty full of good potential forwards, and defenders, but even though Blackwood I think is a solid goaltender, I just think Askarov is on a different level. I hope devils fans dont commit suicide over a goalie getting possibly picked (ik ur over exaggerating dont worry)

I just had the Rangers taking the best player available on my list, their prospect pool is pretty stacked, and I guess I thought since they have some good defenders for the future (Lundkvist, Miller, and Robertson) and thought they could add another great forward for the future in Jarvis.

Supposedly, he’s very high on their board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad