OT: Vids for surviving the -Vid

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Alright, Well its nearing the end of year one of this plague we call 2020 and I've finally run out of things to watch on Prime, Netflix, and HBO.

What are some hidden gems that i may not have seen or heard of you guys would suggest?

Thanks in advance

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Alright, Well its nearing the end of year one of this plague we call 2020 and I've finally run out of things to watch on Prime, Netflix, and HBO.

What are some hidden gems that i may not have seen or heard of you guys would suggest?

Thanks in advance

I just finished Cobra Kai and the Crown, liked them both. I've heard good things about a Netflix series called Money Heist, so I might give that a try next.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Just watched The Queen's Gambit on Netflix, very good short series (7 episodes). Not for everyone probably but I really enjoyed it.

I finished the 2nd season of The Boys on Prime earlier this year, personally I thought it was incredible. It's not really heartwarming or feel good but I couldn't stop watching. Even though it seems like another show about superheroes, it's really not. It's probably not a perfect comparison but I thought it was a weird cross of the Avengers and Game of Thrones. GoT because I'm not sure I've seen a show shock me more than this one since GoT. Thought it was very entertaining.

Those are the two that come to mind right now. I watched a short animated series on Netflix called Blood of Zeus I think? It was okay. Good animation. Was kind of a good time to watch it with having played Hades so much lately. The Castlevania series on Netflix is really good too, although I didn't like the 2nd season quite as much as the 1st.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Just watched The Queen's Gambit on Netflix, very good short series (7 episodes). Not for everyone probably but I really enjoyed it.

I finished the 2nd season of The Boys on Prime earlier this year, personally I thought it was incredible. It's not really heartwarming or feel good but I couldn't stop watching. Even though it seems like another show about superheroes, it's really not. It's probably not a perfect comparison but I thought it was a weird cross of the Avengers and Game of Thrones. GoT because I'm not sure I've seen a show shock me more than this one since GoT. Thought it was very entertaining.

Those are the two that come to mind right now. I watched a short animated series on Netflix called Blood of Zeus I think? It was okay. Good animation. Was kind of a good time to watch it with having played Hades so much lately. The Castlevania series on Netflix is really good too, although I didn't like the 2nd season quite as much as the 1st.

the Boyz is sooo gooood!

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
The Last Kingdom on Netflix doesn't get as much love that I think it should. It starts off a bit slow for the first 3 episodes but after that it is hard not to binge.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Last Kingdom on Netflix doesn't get as much love that I think it should. It starts off a bit slow for the first 3 episodes but after that it is hard not to binge.

I enjoyed The Last Kingdom as well. On par with the Vikings series. The Tudors (about Henry VIII) was also sneaky good.

Reactions: HotDish

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I enjoyed The Last Kingdom as well. On par with the Vikings series. The Tudors (about Henry VIII) was also sneaky good.

i tried watching the tudors years ago and it was too slow to me. but maybe times have changed and id like it now.

the last kingdom is the viking one in england with the english kid who turns viking right? if thats the show im thinking of i loved that show

Last edited by a moderator:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
The OA (Netflix) is good, if you like Stranger Things. Very weird premise but kept me intrigued for both seasons.
Salt Fat Acid Heat (Netflix) is really interesting if you're wanting to learn more about cooking (4 45min episodes).
The Mando (Disney+) is out again, if anyone didn't know. This season is far better than the last IMHO
His Dark Materials (HBO) is a good adaptation of the novels.
The IT Crowd (Netflix) is hilarious if you enjoy British Comedy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Kaminsky Method. One of those shows that is underwhelming in trailers, but way outperforms them. I've never been the biggest Michael Douglas fan, but this is the best thing he has done, and Allan Arkin in fantastic. Danny Devito cameos as a proctologist.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lillehammer is really good. New Jersey gangster meets politically correct small town Norway, with results that are usually hilarious, and occasionally violent. Music is great.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Fleabag on Prime is a good watch if you have a wife or girlfriend. Not saying you can't watch it by yourself or with the guys, but it is a good comedy that girls can appreciate too.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Leftovers (HBO) and Patriot (Prime) would be my recommendations for "hidden gems". Both are a bit unusual and it's difficult to explain their appeal, but they're among my all-time favorites.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sometimes I have an urge to lock myself in a room with tons of snacks, and watch alternating episodes of Letterkenny, Game of Thrones, Person of Interest, and The Wire. Just an urge, mind you. I have wife and kids, and they ain't going for it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Expanse, if you haven't watched it.... you need to. Best Sci-Fi running. If you have watched it, probably time to refresh your memory since season 5 is coming next month. Likely to be the best season of the entire series since its based on the best book of the entire series. :thumbu:

I've also been reaquainting myself with Doctor Who.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
The Expanse, if you haven't watched it.... you need to. Best Sci-Fi running. If you have watched it, probably time to refresh your memory since season 5 is coming next month. Likely to be the best season of the entire series since its based on the best book of the entire series. :thumbu:

I've also been reaquainting myself with Doctor Who.

4 seasons can definately soak up some down time. will check that out too

Reactions: HotDish and TaLoN

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Sometimes I have an urge to lock myself in a room with tons of snacks, and watch alternating episodes of Letterkenny, Game of Thrones, Person of Interest, and The Wire. Just an urge, mind you. I have wife and kids, and they ain't going for it.
I haven't had the urge to ever watch Game of thrones again. The last 2 season ruined it for me. I'm not mad at how it ended, I'm mad at how they executed it. I'm not getting into spoilers since there might be a few out there that haven't finished it, but Double D should've really taken HBO's offer of more episodes and even the additional season.

at last I will just wait for the books to finish up (if GRRM doesn't expire) to see it done correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad