Video reviews -what if the OHL makes a mistake?

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
So the Peterborough Petes played Sarnia last week in an important game for both teams fighting for playoff positioning. As reported here:

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2016/01/23/disallowed-goal-costs-petes-points

The Petes had a goal by Steve Lorentz that was questioned for some reason by the refs and the refs went to the video review. I assumed it was a missed offside call or some sort of intereference leading to the questioning of the goal. The video review ruled it not a goal. The Sarnia play-by-play guy remarked that he could not understand why it was not a goal. Nor could I . There was no announcement about it. The Petes end up losing by a goal (of course). The Petes said they would ask the League about it on Monday.

There has been no public response since by the Petes or the OHL and little talk about it here or on the Petes Message Board.

Is this just a case of turning the other cheek or do the Petes have an argument for appealing, and if so, what can the League do to rectify their mistake , if indeed they made a mistake?

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Is this just a case of turning the other cheek or do the Petes have an argument for appealing, and if so, what can the League do to rectify their mistake , if indeed they made a mistake?

It is an interesting argument. You almost never see a referee change their mind and by the time the truth is known the game is already over. You almost need an off-ice official to weigh in on controversial calls. Also their ought to be consequences for repeated bad calls, yet we see the same referees time and again making poor decisions, turning the outcome of a game and being invited back next year to muck it up some more.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I wish had the video of it. I imagine it's pretty rare for both the officials on-ice and the video review to get it wrong on the same goal. But because there has been no justification for the disallowed goal from the Refs or the League (even the Petes have said nothing) we know nothing about what happened.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
I wish had the video of it. I imagine it's pretty rare for both the officials on-ice and the video review to get it wrong on the same goal. But because there has been no justification for the disallowed goal from the Refs or the League (even the Petes have said nothing) we know nothing about what happened.

We had one a few weeks ago against Owen Sound where the call on the ice was "GOAL". It was reviewed and confirmed to be a goal, so everyone cheered and set up for a face-off. Phone rings at the scorekeepers desk and there is more discussion and then the call is "NO GOAL". Now in the long run Owen Sound took us out behind the woodshed for a 7-4 spanking and one goal really wouldn't have made that much of difference, but I think this type of "bad call" is systemic.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
We had one a few weeks ago against Owen Sound where the call on the ice was "GOAL". It was reviewed and confirmed to be a goal, so everyone cheered and set up for a face-off. Phone rings at the scorekeepers desk and there is more discussion and then the call is "NO GOAL". Now in the long run Owen Sound took us out behind the woodshed for a 7-4 spanking and one goal really wouldn't have made that much of difference, but I think this type of "bad call" is systemic.

I was at that game last weekend. The replay on the scoreboard pretty clearly showed the puck was intentionally kicked up to his stick to tip it into the open net. Problem was he completely missed touching it with his stick and it just went into the net. Therefore kicked in = no goal. What I heard later was that the OS coach requested the review go to the league office instead of just "upstairs" and the league office review overturned the call and declared it no goal.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
What I heard later was that the OS coach requested the review go to the league office instead of just "upstairs" and the league office review overturned the call and declared it no goal.

How many coaches do that though? From my seat on the big screen I couldn't tell if it tipped his stick or not. This doesn't bode well for the on-ice official or the video replay. Do all calls like that have to go to the league to get it right? It would slow down game play exponentially, but some of these bad calls change the course of a game or shift momentum (this one didn't we were were down and out).

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Thanks Icepups. That's the first I've heard that side of the story. The angle on TV probably didn't capture the stick missing it then. I wish our local news guys had reported the ruling to us. Now I can sleep.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad