TSN: [VIDEO] Pavel Bure: His Performance in the 1995 Stanley Cup Playoffs (w/ new footage)

JA

In this video, we revisit Pavel Bure's dominant, albeit short, 1995 Stanley Cup playoff campaign in which he led the Canucks to a seven-game victory against the St. Louis Blues and tried to do the same against the Chicago Blackhawks. He scored 7 goals, 5 assists, 12 points against the St. Louis Blues, and had at least one goal in all but one of those games -- in the game in which he did not score, he had three assists.

Bure had been dominant in the 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs, scoring a total of 16 goals, 31 points during that campaign, which included a streak of 13 goals, 19 points in a twelve-game span. He had proven himself to be an excellent playoff performer since joining the NHL in 1991-92. He continued this pattern until the second round of the 1995 playoffs against the Chicago Blackhawks. In that series, a streak of poor officiating and misfortunes cost the team close games throughout the series. It concluded with Bure being hurt in Game 4 of the Western Conference Semifinals, a sign of things to come for him for the remainder of his career.

Bure can't be shadowed, Craven says: [FINAL Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 23 May 1995: D.2.

Murray Craven a shadow? He says it isn't so.

The ex-Canuck found himself matched up against Pavel Bure, his former linemate, for much of Sunday's series opening 2-1 Blackhawk victory.

``I watched Mike Sullivan shadow Pavel last year in the Calgary series and it doesn't work,'' said Craven. ``You have to use five guys... You have to think don't turn it over in the neutral zone when he's out there and the one goal they did get was the result of a turnover.

``Low percentage plays against Pavel will kill you. If it's going to be low percentage, take the defensive side of it.''

The Russian Rocket has been in dynamic form during the playoffs and has points -- seven goals, six assists -- in all eight Vancouver games.

Bure says he's going to play for Canucks as long as they want him: [FINAL C Edition]
MacINTYRE, IAIN. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 20 May 1995: H.1.

``He's been a big key to our success,'' linemate Geoff Courtnall said. ``Pavel makes the difference between winning and losing in a lot of games. When he's on, everyone jumps on board and follows. He's been great in the playoffs. I think he and Russ have really sparked us.''

Speedbug Russ Courtnall and Bure have been explosive shorthanded. St. Louis' coach Mike Keenan said Canuck penalty-killers made the difference in the series.

The Canucks are only the second team in playoff history to have six shorthanded goals in one series. Vancouver's power-play also was effective, going 11 for 43.

``You have to understand each other well,'' Bure said of his penalty-killing partnership with Russ Courtnall. ``We talk a lot about what we should do. We don't just play one side or the other; sometimes we switch.''

Bure's reputation in the postseason has always been rather understated. For further reference, here is footage from his 1994 NHL playoff campaign:

Hockey heat takes over among eager Canucks fans: [MET Edition]
Boyd, Denny. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 24 May 1994: A17.

The 1982 Canucks, like the sleeker '94 model, featured a Protestant work ethic, a Praetorian guard of efficient defencemen and inspired goal-tending. The difference between the two is that the '82 Canucks didn't have a superstar. They didn't have a Pavel Bure.

But I think it is beyond arguing that Bure is the most extraordinary professional athlete Vancouver has ever had on hire. I can think of only Willie Fleming, in the B.C. Lions best days of the '60s, who was so clearly above all his contemporaries.

Last Friday, with the series tied, I was asked to debate the merits of the two teams with a Toronto sports broadcaster on Canada Live, a mid-day CBC network television program. About the only contribution I made was to advise the audience of housewives and layabouts to watch Bure. I said, "He'll show you moves you have never seen before. I've never seen anything like him, but what do I know? I've only been watching hockey since 1950."

Canucks have been flying since harnessing Bure's ROCKET POWER: [Final Edition]
Duhatschek, Eric. Calgary Herald [Calgary, Alta] 04 June 1994: E1.

Everybody knows a Pavel Bure story in these parts and the one Brian Burke tells begins the day after the Vancouver Canucks finally received National Hockey League permission to put the Russian Rocket into the lineup.

Burke is now the NHL's senior vice-president, but in 1991 he was the Canucks' director of hockey operations and an integral part of the process that brought Bure to Vancouver.

Canucks coach Pat Quinn met with Bure for a little pep talk during the Calgary series to make just that point. Sometimes in the playoffs, there just isn't a lot of open ice.

``This was a learning time for him,'' said Quinn. ``Playoff hockey was something he'd never experienced before -- the intense coverage. There's almost an infringement of the rules. When that line is crossed and the officials don't do anything about it, you still have to get your players to play through it.

``All European players have to go through that process -- to learn how to play playoff hockey. Pavel had to persevere.''

This year, Bure became only the eighth player in NHL history to score 60 goals in consecutive seasons. To Burke, that's just the beginning. Bure will disagree, but Burke says he can see him scoring ``upwards of 80 goals. A hundred may not be out of reach.''

``The thing that's fun about him is that he's a nice kid and he sells tickets. There are a lot of great hockey players who've never sold a ticket. People like to watch this kid play. I like to watch him play. If I paid $75 to watch the Rangers play Vancouver, just the one player is enough for the $75.''
Advantage Canucks thanks to rest, Bure: [MET Edition]
McKenzie, Bob. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 31 May 1994: D4.

With all due respect to the surging Vancouver Canucks, last Friday's game between the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils should have been the Stanley Cup final.

It was the two best teams from the regular season in an incredible seven-game (double-overtime) showdown.

Up front, the Rangers have the edge in experience (all those ex- Oilers) and leadership (Messier) and perhaps in scoring depth. But the Canucks have the best player (Bure) on a big, fast, physical team that has jelled at just the right time and is more rested.

PREDICTION:

Canucks in six

Indeed, even Bob McKenzie stated that Bure was enough of an X-factor to overcome the challenge of defeating the superior overall team and President's Trophy winner in 1994, the New York Rangers. It nearly happened.
Works Cited

Boyd, Denny. "Hockey Heat Takes Over among Eager Canucks Fans." Toronto Star: A17. May 24 1994. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Duhatschek, Eric. "Canucks have been Flying since Harnessing Bure's ROCKET POWER." Calgary Herald: E1. Jun 04 1994. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

MacINTYRE, IAIN. "Bure Says He's Going to Play for Canucks as Long as they Want Him." The Vancouver SunMay 20 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

McKenzie, Bob. "Advantage Canucks Thanks to Rest, Bure." Toronto Star: D4. May 31 1994. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Pap, Elliott. "Bure can't be Shadowed, Craven Says." The Vancouver SunMay 23 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Last edited by a moderator:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Man, what a time to be alive. Thanks for posting this JetsAlternate. It's always nice to see the great hockey that the Nucks played those couple years.

James Underbuss*

Mar 3, 2016
Thanks for posting! Bure so damned dominant. A guy that plays so hard every night, just a matter of time til he got injured I suppose.

Totally forgot how the Canucks got railroaded by the refs in that chicago series. Par for the course.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
my main memory from that series was how brutal Cujo was.
then they got swept by the Hawks, with Chelios scoring one OT goal after another
not a great playoff year in the Canucks less than stellar history

1995 = 2012
was the start of 8 years without winning a round, and 4 years of missing out

so, 1999 = 2016..?

but we have likely the non-playoff years ahead of us, so we are dragging out the down years here...

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for posting! Bure so damned dominant. A guy that plays so hard every night, just a matter of time til he got injured I suppose.

Totally forgot how the Canucks got railroaded by the refs in that chicago series. Par for the course.

i recall the Hawks were better ... outshot us in 3 of 4 games... Canucks were not the same team as '94, which was admittedly a Cinderella run..

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
my main memory from that series was how brutal Cujo was.
then they got swept by the Hawks, with Chelios scoring one OT goal after another
not a great playoff year in the Canucks less than stellar history

1995 = 2012
was the start of 8 years without winning a round, and 4 years of missing out

so, 1999 = 2016..?

but we have likely the non-playoff years ahead of us, so we are dragging out the down years here...

2011 didn't happen? I know the SCF wasn't the best thing in the world, but I'll still put 2011 in the up year column.

JA

i recall the Hawks were better ... outshot us in 3 of 4 games... Canucks were not the same team as '94, which was admittedly a Cinderella run..
Officiating was rather one-sided in the Blackhawks series.

The non-call on Bure's overtime chance in Game 1, the no-goal in Game 2, the no-goals in Game 3, and seven penalties against Vancouver in the first period of Game 4 . . .

In spite of this massive handicap, three of the four games went to OT and the other was a 2-0 victory. In Game 3, Vancouver had two goals waved off and dominated the third period, but Murray Craven's illegal goal counted and the Canucks lost the game in OT.

If the trip on Bure had been called in OT of Game 1, his goal in Game 2 had counted, and one of the Canucks' Game 3 goals had counted (or Craven's had been disallowed), the series would have been far different. Of course, if one of them had happened, the others probably would not have; a 1-0, 1-1, or 2-1 series, however, is far different from a 3-0 series.

The officials robbed the Canucks that year.

Two Game 3 summaries:
WE WUZ ROBBED: Craven in crease for crucial goal: 'Nucks blow OT chances: [Final C Edition]
Keating, Jack. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 26 May 1995: A64.

Craven was clearly in the crease on the tying goal, which came against the run of the play in a period in which the Hawks were outshot 16-4.

"Muzz (Murray Craven) was standing pretty much right against me in the crease," said Canucks goalie Kirk McLean. "You can sit and argue it all night long. It's up to the referee to make the call."

Referee Don Koharski, who disallowed two Canucks' goals earlier in the third period, allowed the goal. Referee Paul Stewart had disallowed a goal by Trevor Linden in a 2-0 loss to the Hawks Tuesday in Chicago. Craven was more in the crease than Linden was, yet another example of inconsistent officiating.

'Hawks have Canucks by throat: Chelios gets winner in OT to give Chicago 3-0 series lead: [FINAL C Edition]
MacINTYRE, IAIN. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 26 May 1995: D.1.

Koharski, who did few favors for the Canucks on a night when power-play chances favored the Blackhawks 8-4
, said he watched Craven closely and the former Canuck set up outside the crease, according to Linden.

``The cameraman right beside me said he had two feet in the crease,'' Russ Courtnall said, his two-goal effort spoiled by the Canucks' second blown lead in three games, both of them won in overtime by the Blackhawks. ``It's a joke. Our team was beating their hockey and beating the officiating.

``We worked hard. We did everything we wanted to do except win the game.''

Canuck coach Rick Ley, whose dislike of Koharski stems from a shouting match when Ley was an assistant in Vancouver, was livid.

``I thought the officiating was a disgrace,'' Ley said. ``Koharski -- we haven't had much success with him. When I see his name at the bottom of the scoresheet, it doesn't make me very happy.

``I know he (Craven) was in there. All you have to do is watch the tape.''

Shots were 34-26 for the Canucks, including 16-4 in a third period that began 1-1.

Referee creases Canucks' chances Contentious call breaks Vancouver's heart
Campbell, Neil A. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 27 May 1995: A.17.

This National Hockey League playoff season has been rife with officiating disputes, and now there is the crease controversy.

Pavel Bure of the Canucks scored a goal Tuesday night during Game 2, but referee Paul Stewart disallowed it because teammate Trevor Linden was ruled to have a foot in the crease. Replays showed Craven was clearly in the goal crease when he received Jeremy Roenick's pass and converted the tying goal Thursday.

"It's the same circumstance but it was called in different ways by different guys," Pat Quinn, the Canucks president and general manager, said yesterday.

"It's not as if it's been a totally one-sided series," he said, noting that the Blackhawks have won 2-1 in overtime, 2-0 in regulation time and 3-2 in overtime. "Are we capable of winning four straight? Yes we are. Can we do it? That's the wonderful world of sport."

SPORTS MAILBAG: [Final Edition]
The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 29 May 1995: A24.

How much longer need we put up with incompetent, capricious officiating? Each year the calls in playoffs get worse. They'll continue to unless fans inundate the NHL with complaints and boycott games. We won't subsidize this incompetence any longer.

Wilmer Fawcett

Vancouver

Canadian teams get calls from a different rulebook. Problems with the crease rules? Hell, let's just figure them out on the ice. Call back a couple of goals against the Canucks and let the Blackhawks' goals stand. Chicago got away with too many men on the ice by disguising the extra player in black and white.

Garrett Bastien

New Westminster

Dear Brian Burke: I've been a Canucks' season ticket holder five years, but will cancel my renewal. Until now, I tolerated officiating you deem competent. Thursday's Vancouver/Chicago game was the final straw. I have never seen a more biased, incompetently officiated playoff game. Should we spend hard-earned money to see identical plays called different ways? It's a disgrace officials won't display the professionalism that allows the game to be played in its purest form. From the Quebec fiasco that helped introduce us to the Denver Nordiques to the blatant inconsistency of officiating that directly assisted in the elimination of the last Canadian team, you sat by and relished the profit and glory of an Americanized league.

Doug McKay

Vancouver

Officiating has been the poorest this year. Allowing Murray Craven's game-tying goal Thursday was the turning point in the series. The league owes everyone an explanation.

Linda Wong

Vancouver

The Canucks were robbed of a crucial goal in Game 2 against Chicago. But Craven's controversial tying goal in Game 3 was only salt in an open wound. Why was Craven in close all alone in the first place? The officials make bad judgement calls; so did the Canucks.

Kevin Batt

Surrey
Works Cited

Campbell, Neil A. "Referee Creases Canucks' Chances Contentious Call Breaks Vancouver's Heart." The Globe and MailMay 27 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Keating, Jack. "WE WUZ ROBBED: Craven in Crease for Crucial Goal: 'Nucks Blow OT Chances." The Province: A64. May 26 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

MacINTYRE, IAIN. "'Hawks have Canucks by Throat: Chelios Gets Winner in OT to Give Chicago 3-0 Series Lead." The Vancouver SunMay 26 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

"SPORTS MAILBAG." The Province: A24. May 29 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Last edited by a moderator:

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
2011 didn't happen? I know the SCF wasn't the best thing in the world, but I'll still put 2011 in the up year column.

yes, i meant
1994 = 2011 as the peak for both Canuck versions
meaning 5 years later, we were starting on the upswing again then ..whereas 5 years later, where are we now?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
One thing I failed to notice until now is that the early GM Place goal horn was installed at the Coliseum in 1995, even before they moved downtown.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
yes, i meant
1994 = 2011 as the peak for both Canuck versions
meaning 5 years later, we were starting on the upswing again then ..whereas 5 years later, where are we now?

99 - Sedins, 16 - (Matthews)
99 - Bertuzzi, Naslund, 16 - Virtanen, Horvat
99 - Jovo, Ohlund, Sopel, McCabe, McAllister, 16 - Hutton, Tryamkin, Pedan, Sbisa
99 - Cooke, Schaefer, Holden, 16 - Gaunce, McCann, Baertschi
99 - Scatchard, York, Muckalt, 16 - Etem, Vey, Granlund
99 - Weekes, 16 - Markstrom
99 - May, 16 - Dorsett

That was kinda fun for the retrospective aspect!
A lot of parallels.. Big difference being the foundational pieces of the D all being there for the Canucks in 99. Quite the remarkable group of young prospect Dmen actually!
And we don't have a real comparable to Bert (23) or Naslund (25)... You could go - Bert (23) or Naslund (25) - Baert(23) - because similar letters and Rodin (25) (swede)...

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
99 - Sedins, 16 - (Matthews)
99 - Bertuzzi, Naslund, 16 - Virtanen, Horvat
99 - Jovo, Ohlund, Sopel, McCabe, McAllister, 16 - Hutton, Tryamkin, Pedan, Sbisa
99 - Cooke, Schaefer, Holden, 16 - Gaunce, McCann, Baertschi
99 - Scatchard, York, Muckalt, 16 - Etem, Vey, Granlund
99 - Weekes, 16 - Markstrom
99 - May, 16 - Dorsett

That was kinda fun for the retrospective aspect!
A lot of parallels.. Big difference being the foundational pieces of the D all being there for the Canucks in 99. Quite the remarkable group of young prospect Dmen actually!
And we don't have a real comparable to Bert (23) or Naslund (25)... You could go - Bert (23) or Naslund (25) - Baert(23) - because similar letters and Rodin (25) (swede)...

yeah we're way behind in the D dep't .. we are ahead in net though
and possibly in the bottom 6

not convinced that we have the makings of a good top 6 with the young guys though ... we need a stud from this draft, and prob the best we can hope is for McCann and Horvat to turn into Krejci and Bergeron

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, a blast from the past, and particularly tough to swallow in light of current events, but I thought this site was supposed to be about 'Hockey Futures' rather than "Back to the Future'?

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
The majority on here are lucky they weren't following this garbage of a franchise around in the seventies and eighties. Fun times.Lol.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
the breakaway goal that bure scored against the blues in game 7 is one of my all-time favourite bure moments...he looks like a guy from today's game playing against a bunch of dinosaurs

always nice to hear clips with play-by-play from the late don wittman as well

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Yeah the goal where he takes off from his own blueline and pulls away from the two defenders is so iconic. The deke on Joseph is so fast, he could barely react.

Sooooooo sick

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
yeah we're way behind in the D dep't .. we are ahead in net though
and possibly in the bottom 6

not convinced that we have the makings of a good top 6 with the young guys though ... we need a stud from this draft, and prob the best we can hope is for McCann and Horvat to turn into Krejci and Bergeron

Important to note the management team then and now.

I'm no fan of Crawford BUT.....Crawford >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Willie
Burke >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Benning

Though Aquaman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McCaw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad