[VIDEO] Mark Messier, The Anti-Canuck - A 20-Minute Look At His Catastrophic Time in Vancouver

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
The Lost Shifts Ep. 2: Mark Messier, the Anti-Canuck - Vancouver Is Awesome

In the storied mythos of the Vancouver Canucks, Mark Messier is undoubtedly the team's greatest villain. No coach, no general manager, nor any other player remains as reviled as the notorious Messier. If one were to consult any lifelong Canucks supporter for their opinion of their team's captain from 1997 to 2000, the responses would be unanimous: he epitomizes the injustices that have maligned the team throughout their fifty-year history.

He was always known for his gritty style. He was a talented playmaker, and he also possessed an excellent wrist shot. He was intelligent with the puck and reliable defensively. However, he punished opponents with vicious elbows, body checks and a malicious, physical approach. He was the ideal two-way forward.

In Vancouver, his physicality was absent. From the very beginning, commentators noticed a complete lack of intensity from the player frequently regarded as fierce and passionate. He was passive and lethargic. His words were hypocritical. His conduct destroyed his reputation in Vancouver.

In Episode II of The Lost Shifts, we examine Messier's play in one of his earliest performances with the Canucks: a home game against the Detroit Red Wings on October 26, 1997. It became clear within only a month that this acquisition was a blunder of catastrophic proportions.

Our format today deviates from that of our Pavel Bure episode (Episode I). In order to illustrate Messier's apathetic conduct in the most effective and concise fashion, today's presentation features every piece of footage from the match in which he appears on-screen as well as a few extended shifts where his absence from the frame should be considered troublesome.

Interview audio from Dan Russell's CKNW 980 show Sportstalk, as well as the insights of numerous commentators can be heard throughout the video. Episode II concludes with a five-minute montage feature.

Read the full article detailing his story of betrayal and sabotage at Pass It To Bulis: The Lost Shifts Ep. 2: Mark Messier, the Anti-Canuck - Vancouver Is Awesome

I am @CambieKev on Twitter.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I was having a bad day hearing Tanev was done

Then it got worse as it sounds like the entire season is done

I didn't think it could get any worse . . . and then I saw this thread pop up

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Too soon. Give me another 10 years and we'll see.

Wall of Wonder

Jul 2, 2006
Burnaby, Canada
Scary to see how disinterested he looked. sigh. :( It is interesting to see Ohlund in it though. I think it was his first season (9th game?)
What is the music at 9:36 in the video?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As I recall, Messier lived in Point Roberts, because he and his accountants wanted to reduce his exposure to Canadian taxes. So if the only time he spent in Canada was to attend a two hour practice and 40 home games, then he was considered a 'non-resident'. It was the same strategy employed by Torts, as I recall.

It was obvious Messier didn't want to be here.....but by the time he arrived he was firmly on the backside of the mountain and the contract from Orca Bay and the Canucks was his last 'big score'. I doubt Pat Quinn wanted to sign him either, but got overruled by management....and was gone himself shortly thereafter.

So no, this sad chapter won't figure prominently in the Canucks 50th anniversary hoopla.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
As I recall, Messier lived in Point Roberts, because he and his accountants wanted to reduce his exposure to Canadian taxes. So if the only time he spent in Canada was to attend a two hour practice and 40 home games, then he was considered a 'non-resident'. It was the same strategy employed by Torts, as I recall.

It was obvious Messier didn't want to be here.....but by the time he arrived he was firmly on the backside of the mountain and the contract from Orca Bay and the Canucks was his last 'big score'. I doubt Pat Quinn wanted to sign him either, but got overruled by management....and was gone himself shortly thereafter.

So no, this sad chapter won't figure prominently in the Canucks 50th anniversary hoopla.
Pretty sure Mess never lived in Point Roberts as I got to deliver a 5-ton truck full of furniture to his downtown condo about 6 months after he signed.

I can confirm Torts did indeed live in Point Roberts as we would see him kicking around Tsawwassen all the time.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Little did I know, as a kid, seeing the Lay's commercial and thinking Messier was still a star performer.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I've always said, for me it wasn't the Maki stuff or the Linden stuff or the Keenan stuff or any of that shit. For me what sucked was his play. His play with us was so mediocre and uninspired it was like we had signed the anti-Messier... which was doubly galling because up to then, the real Messier had been kicking our ass eight ways to Sunday for a decade and a half.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Pretty sure Mess never lived in Point Roberts as I got to deliver a 5-ton truck full of furniture to his downtown condo about 6 months after he signed.

I can confirm Torts did indeed live in Point Roberts as we would see him kicking around Tsawwassen all the time.

If I don't mind asking, where did Messier live in downtown Vancouver?
What area?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If I don't mind asking, where did Messier live in downtown Vancouver?
What area?

Actually yeah, I have no idea but on the main board thread someone posted his hand written contract and one of the stipulations was a 3 bedroom apartment... can't recall if it specified downtown or not. Not sure where he was at that age but I get Messier would want the downtown lifestyle rather being way the heck out in Point Roberts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to agree with other posters here.....Messier's years with the Canucks co-oincided with a lot of bad teams and turmoil in the front office.

But nowhere near the worst UFA signing ever....that dubious honor belongs to Louie Eriksson, hands-down.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Messier was a SOB for the Canucks but having worked, with Keenan, to move Linden out got Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Mccabe and a 3rd round pick (?), it was magical. - We must not forget Messier was the consolation prize for not getting Gretzky after the signing ultimatum he got. Messier was a spare part by 36 and he should have kept his ego in check instead of acting like he was still boss.
Lay's chips don't taste the same now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad