News Article: Video games a growing concern for Canadiens' top scout Trevor Timmins

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Bergevin's bias against video games grows stronger... first it was how the NHL wasn't playstation.. now this ? When will his crusade against millenials end ? :sarcasm:

Here’s Timmins, Bergevin & Molson trying to play a video game.

1q5L.gif

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
yeah you could... but that probably doesn't happen as much. I'm sure a lot of kids spend the night baking pies. ;)
Whatever they are into. It's a hobby, it could be stamp collection for all that matters. It's a hobby they love.
If they love studying chemistry, wow..smart kid, but then maybe that passion takes over hockey and the kid prefers becoming the next Mendeleev or Walter White than a hockey player.

Just when I think this organization cannot be more old school...they do this.

Timmins really disappoints me on this one.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Yawn. You could say the same thing about players staying up too late reading. Or watching Netflix. Or playing Tiddly Winks. Or baking pies. Or...
Whatever they are into. It's a hobby, it could be stamp collection for all that matters. It's a hobby they love.
If they love studying chemistry, wow..smart kid, but then maybe that passion takes over hockey and the kid prefers becoming the next Mendeleev or Walter White than a hockey player.

Just when I think this organization cannot be more old school...they do this.

Timmins really disappoints me on this one.

While playing video games is a hobby to many, Video Game addiction is a serious issue that can potentially ruin your life. Much like how most people can have a drink or two each week, or have a little fun on the weekend with some hard drugs without developing a serious substance abuse problem. There is a huge gulf between playing games as a hobby and being addicted. You wouldn't tell someone who was suffering a serious depression to "just cheer up!" or someone with alcoholism to "just stop drinking!". You can't tell someone with a serious addiction to video games to "just put the controller down!". I know this is just a forum and posts are made for laughs, but trivializing serious issues like this is not funny. When organizations like CAMH, WHO, and APA take this seriously, so should everyone else.

Entirely separate from the human aspects of this is the issue that NHL teams would have with these young kids playing video games is less about them being old men yelling at clouds because they don't understand Fortnite, but more because they are investing millions of dollars in these top picks and don't want to waste a 1st rounder on someone who is addicted to video games. If someone says they play a lot of games, they are going to look into it and make sure it isn't serious, just like if they said they liked to party and have a good time, they want to make sure they aren't having too much of a good time. The money they dump into their top picks is far too much to pick a player that will throw their career away for any reason. This all sounds like normal due diligence to me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
While playing video games is a hobby to many, Video Game addiction is a serious issue that can potentially ruin your life. Much like how most people can have a drink or two each week, or have a little fun on the weekend with some hard drugs without developing a serious substance abuse problem. There is a huge gulf between playing games as a hobby and being addicted. You wouldn't tell someone who was suffering a serious depression to "just cheer up!" or someone with alcoholism to "just stop drinking!". You can't tell someone with a serious addiction to video games to "just put the controller down!". I know this is just a forum and posts are made for laughs, but trivializing serious issues like this is not funny. When organizations like CAMH, WHO, and APA take this seriously, so should everyone else.

Entirely separate from the human aspects of this is the issue that NHL teams would have with these young kids playing video games is less about them being old men yelling at clouds because they don't understand Fortnite, but more because they are investing millions of dollars in these top picks and don't want to waste a 1st rounder on someone who is addicted to video games. If someone says they play a lot of games, they are going to look into it and make sure it isn't serious, just like if they said they liked to party and have a good time, they want to make sure they aren't having too much of a good time. The money they dump into their top picks is far too much to pick a player that will throw their career away for any reason. This all sounds like normal due diligence to me.

If someone has problems with addiction, it's an entirely different issue.
That is a far cry from suggesting writing "playing video games" under a hobby is a red flag.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
seriously, we need to eliminate all those gamers from our draft pool and go back to what worked.
we need to go back to drafting players whose hobbies include horing and Drinking...

Maybe we end up with a chelios, or a corson

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
That is a far cry from suggesting writing "playing video games" under a hobby is a red flag.

He didn't say it's a red flag so they won't draft him, he said they'll look into it with him before drafting.

I don't think it would be wise for the org to not question the prospects about their habits like you guys suggest.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
A psychological profile in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing. Timmins should either enroll for a psych degree at college or just stop reading these assessments because he's not qualified to evaluate them. How about selecting players based on their ability to play hockey instead? I don't care if a kid is the next Hitler as long as he can score 40 goals every year.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
A psychological profile in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing. Timmins should either enroll for a psych degree at college or just stop reading these assessments because he's not qualified to evaluate them. How about selecting players based on their ability to play hockey instead? I don't care if a kid is the next Hitler as long as he can score 40 goals every year.

You are correct, i think this franchise recent failure is a direct result of the word over.... Over analysis and over coaching.....
And incompetence. but will save that for another thread

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
...which is why they do their research on players. They didn't say they wouldn't draft kids that play video games.

Trevor Timmins said:
I’m not saying video games are a bad thing. It’s just if they’re not getting enough rest and recuperation then it becomes a problem.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

In most cases, it's 'a far cry' from red flag to worst case scenario.
In this case, it's just something the team has to incorporate into their due diligence, along with a boatload of other things.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

From what I understood, they have a doctor of psychology at UNB who both designed the test, is there during the administration of the test, and interprets its results.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In most cases, it's 'a far cry' from red flag to worst case scenario.
In this case, it's just something the team has to incorporate into their due diligence, along with a boatload of other things.
I think it's BS.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
...which is why they do their research on players. They didn't say they wouldn't draft kids that play video games.
They said it's a red flag. It isn't. Killing frogs under hobby would be a red flag. Couting the number of tiles on the wall, that's a red flag.
Playing video game is extremely normal, unless you have an extremely lame and old school ideology.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He didn't say it's a red flag so they won't draft him, he said they'll look into it with him before drafting.

I don't think it would be wise for the org to not question the prospects about their habits like you guys suggest.
Did they mention any other hobby specifically that they need to look into?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
From what I understood, they have a doctor of psychology at UNB who both designed the test, is there during the administration of the test, and interprets its results.
So the guy who designed the test gets to administer and evaluate it? That's a red flag for me. As the author of the test it's in his best interests to try and legitimize its efficacy. How qualified is he? Has this test undergone any vetting by other professors in the field? Is it scientifically rigorous enough to be peer reviewed? When did UNB become a world leader in anything but the proper wearing of flannel shirts?

And most important of all: can this test measure "attitude"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad