Video game sections you will never do again.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not talking about sections you simply don't like because every game is going to have a section or two you don't like that's normal.

I'm talking about sections you will NEVER do again.

This topic was inspired by the beanstalk jumping in Mario RPG, although now that I know about the shadows that might not be so bad but there is also the 3D maze which was also a pain in the ass.

There is also the Black throne in Darksiders

The Bird tower in link's Awakening

And the final temple in Skyward Sword

In the case of the final temple in skyward Sword I don't think it can be done without a guide, certainly not the first time through.

In the case of the Black Throne in Darksiders and the Bird tower in Link's Awakening I KNOW it can't be done without a guide It's not going to happen.

And make no mistake I enjoyed all these games, and in the case of Darksiders I love that entire series.

But any section where a guide is borderline required to beat it that's a problem just ask anybody that played the water temple in Ocarina of time in 1998.

By the same token if have a game that requires jumping to beat and the jumping sucks that's a problem and you should probably fix that, especially if It's been a problem for 25+ years

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Water Temple is legitimately one of the best dungeon designs in the Zelda franchise. Especially compared to the garbage we got for water based dungeons later in the series (Great Bay Temple, that god awful Jabu Jabu's Belly redux in the Oracle games.) That and Tower of the Gods from Wind Waker probably best weaponize water as a problem and a solution. Especially compared to the garbage we got for water based dungeons later in the series (Great Bay Temple, that god awful Jabu Jabu's Belly redux in the Oracle games)

The 3DS remake also fixes its two biggest issues with the constant pausing to go into the menu and equip/unequip the iron boots and that one key hidden under the platform in the central tower water level room (and even then if you're paying attention you can see there's something under there)

God forbid a game makes you understand the overarching concept of a level/dungeon in order to complete it instead of being a linear set of rooms and hallways like the Fire and Shadow Temples are.

Sounds like a skill issue tbh.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I dont remember the specifics of Black Throne in Darksiders, I only have positive memories of that game.

Mine is those f***ing bladed towers in the original God of War. NEVER AGAIN!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Water Temple is legitimately one of the best dungeon designs in the Zelda franchise. Especially compared to the garbage we got for water based dungeons later in the series (Great Bay Temple, that god awful Jabu Jabu's Belly redux in the Oracle games.) That and Tower of the Gods from Wind Waker probably best weaponize water as a problem and a solution. Especially compared to the garbage we got for water based dungeons later in the series (Great Bay Temple, that god awful Jabu Jabu's Belly redux in the Oracle games)

The 3DS remake also fixes its two biggest issues with the constant pausing to go into the menu and equip/unequip the iron boots and that one key hidden under the platform in the central tower water level room (and even then if you're paying attention you can see there's something under there)

God forbid a game makes you understand the overarching concept of a level/dungeon in order to complete it instead of being a linear set of rooms and hallways like the Fire and Shadow Temples are.

Sounds like a skill issue tbh.

Now you might be able to call it a skill issue, not when it came out in 1998 though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I dont remember the specifics of Black Throne in Darksiders, I only have positive memories of that game.

Mine is those f***ing bladed towers in the original God of War. NEVER AGAIN!

Ah yes that bladed tower in God of War, actually my favorite series of all time but yes that section can f*** off.

So I'm guessing you won't be pissing up the rumored remake/remaster.

Any of Landstalker. Can't wait to beat that game and never touch it again.

Never heard of it sounds like a pain in the ass.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I never actually finished it in the first place, but...

Path of Pain in Hollow Knight

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I am one trophy short of platinum on the remastered version of that game. You can guess which one is missing ...
There's a glitch for this that lets you get the trophy even when playing on a lower difficulty.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
What did I just watch? All of that looks like nonsense. If the entire game is like that that's awful.

That ball room should have gotten somebody fired.

The whole game is jumping puzzles where you can't tell which plane/axis any object is on. And I commented the same thing in the video - just suggesting the ball room should have gotten a dev removed from the project

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The whole game is jumping puzzles where you can't tell which plane/axis any object is on. And I commented the same thing in the video - just suggesting the ball room should have gotten a dev removed from the project

Not just removed from the project but the project should never have existed.

Anyway I liked your video and you get a like and a subscribe.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Mission 7 in Valkyrie chronicles and to a lesser extent mission 13. Trying to make it out with all of your troops alive is a nightmare.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Dating myself here, but I once played through the original Final Fantasy II on the Famicom.

Easily the worst gaming experience of my life. What a broken f***ing game.
I played 2 for the first time this summer via the Pixel Remaster. I'm not sure broken is the right word since it generally functions...but that doesn't change the fact it's one of the dumbest progression systems i have ever seen.

I got overpowered fairly early in and then i realized if you kill enemies too fast you get no exp. Is that not the f***ing point of a JRPG? to learn how to kill enemies as efficiently as possible?

Easily the worst game in the franchise.

Reactions: McGarnagle

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I absolutely despise landstalker but my favorite videogame reviewer Tim Rogers says it’s his favourite game, so I feel like there must be some hidden genius in there.

I played some last night, and then put on Elden Ring to relax. Just to put it in perspective how frustrating Landstalker is.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I played 2 for the first time this summer via the Pixel Remaster. I'm not sure broken is the right word since it generally functions...but that doesn't change the fact it's one of the dumbest progression systems i have ever seen.

I got overpowered fairly early in and then i realized if you kill enemies too fast you get no exp. Is that not the f***ing point of a JRPG? to learn how to kill enemies as efficiently as possible?

Easily the worst game in the franchise.
Have you ever played the original?

The remakes aren't good but they are great when compared to the original. It's totally broken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad