(Video) First NHL Goal: Parayko nets two goals, including the game-winner, in Blues w

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Good point.

Well Patrik Berglund should be a good warning then. Man did everyone think he was headed for several 60+ point seasons after his 47 point rookie year. I won't even mention the name Mats Sundin. That was just a small group of crazies making that comparison.

BUT SWEDES DEVELOP MORE SLOWLY! Just look at the Sedins! Totally legit comparison there.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Rewind to 2011 and a thread about a 2007 re-draft. Here's a quote from that thread:

"If you were the GM and your job was on the line....you'd gamble on Turris? I would not, not at #10 or anywhere on your list."

You're taking Parayko because of potential. I'm also taking Yakupov because of potential. He is in a horrendous situation and clearly needs a change of scenery just like Turris. He still has a boat load of talent. He just needs to get out of Edmonton. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I'd still take the gamble just like Ottawa did with Turris.

And I'm not really disagreeing with you about Parayko. Notice how I said he could contend for the 13-15 spots. I just need to see more than 3 games. It should say enough that I put him in that 13-15 range just based off 3 games.

I know its fashionable on HF to overrate potential, but you're underrating it here. For example, how many games would you need to see from McDavid before you valued him as top pick? Probably none (NHL games).

I don't care to argue about this, and its kind of pointless anyway since we're basically agreeing. But I'd bet heavily that Yakupov is not going to suddenly become worthy of a top 10 pick at any point in the next 5 years. You could take my quote and re-apply it to Filatov, too. I think that's more likely the scenario with Yakupov.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I remember an interview with Kariya saying "He'll be a star in this league."

Sigh.

Yep. Now his most famous moment is the time he face-planted while failing at a slap shot. I mean, there's bad, and then there's that. I can't remember ever seeing a player in the NHL do something like that. That's the **** you see in beer league or in mini-mites.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I know its fashionable on HF to overrate potential, but you're underrating it here. For example, how many games would you need to see from McDavid before you valued him as top pick? Probably none (NHL games).

I don't care to argue about this, and its kind of pointless anyway since we're basically agreeing. But I'd bet heavily that Yakupov is not going to suddenly become worthy of a top 10 pick at any point in the next 5 years. You could take my quote and re-apply it to Filatov, too. I think that's more likely the scenario with Yakupov.

McDavid was regarded as a future star by pretty much everyone who has seen him. Parayko didn't even rate among the top 50 prospects on HF in May. I'm not saying that's the best judge but they talk to a lot of people when compiling that list. More than you and I talk to and they certainly do more research than you or I.

I know D-men who grow take awhile to peak and yada yada yada but it's just hard to believe that Parayko is gonna sneak by for this long and just hop into the NHL and light the world on fire. It could ABSOLUTELY happen. I just want to see it first.

Parayko is a fine looking player with a very impressive set of tools. However, I've also seen some short comings just like I did with Berglund early on. Let's see how he does when the rest of the league finds them out and exploits them.

As for Filatov, he never had any success or even tried to have success in the NHL. He ran home to the KHL when he was told he couldn't step right into 20 minutes a night in the NHL his first year.

Yakupov has at least put up with a horrendous coach and posted a couple of 30 point seasons. Nothing special but it's something to build on like Turris' two 20 point seasons in Phoenix.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd really like to see how Berglund looks after he recovers from his surgery.

As for Turris...the big thing he has is his IQ...dude has some vision and knows where to be

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
One thing I've noticed about Parayko that I noticed about young Berglund is his skating. He isn't all that quick. Don't get me wrong, he is a decent skater but for a 6'5" d-man. You look at him and say "wow that big guy isn't stuck in mud like a lot of big guys we've had." Well unfortunately he isn't JayBo either.

For Berglund, it worried me early on. Every time I mentioned it I was met with "he'll work it out with a skating coach" or "he's young give him time". Well as he packed on muscle, he just got slower and slower while the game around him got faster and faster.

Parayko is going to pack on muscle to his 6'5" frame too. I'll be interested to see what happens to his skating. Erik Johnson packed on muscle and slowed down too. It didn't have anything to do with the knee, either. He had his best season in STL after the knee injury. He was flying on the ice even after the golf cart accident. However, he went into the next offseason looking to bulk up. He added a ton of muscle and he slowed down considerably the next season. From what I've heard, he took off some weight in Colorado and is playing better.

I'm sorry for pointing out a flaw in Jesus Parayko/Colton Christ but he has them. I'm extremely excited about his future, though. Don't misinterpret this post.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I'd really like to see how Berglund looks after he recovers from his surgery.

As for Turris...the big thing he has is his IQ...dude has some vision and knows where to be

It's easy to see his positives now that he has changed teams and matured. In Arizona he was out of place in Tippett's defensive system.

Yakupov(and every other Oiler) was out of place in Eakin's nonexistent system. Really it's just a bad situation as a whole for everyone up there.

Yakupov probably won't live up to the franchise forward billing that he had on draft day but it's not too late for him to become a very solid player.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
One thing I've noticed about Parayko that I noticed about young Berglund is his skating. He isn't all that quick. Don't get me wrong, he is a decent skater but for a 6'5" d-man. You look at him and say "wow that big guy isn't stuck in mud like a lot of big guys we've had." Well unfortunately he isn't JayBo either.

For Berglund, it worried me early on. Every time I mentioned it I was met with "he'll work it out with a skating coach" or "he's young give him time". Well as he packed on muscle, he just got slower and slower while the game around him got faster and faster.

Parayko is going to pack on muscle to his 6'5" frame too. I'll be interested to see what happens to his skating. Erik Johnson packed on muscle and slowed down too. It didn't have anything to do with the knee, either. He had his best season in STL after the knee injury. He was flying on the ice even after the golf cart accident. However, he went into the next offseason looking to bulk up. He added a ton of muscle and he slowed down considerably the next season. From what I've heard, he took off some weight in Colorado and is playing better.

I'm sorry for pointing out a flaw in Jesus Parayko/Colton Christ but he has them. I'm extremely excited about his future, though. Don't misinterpret this post.
Um...Parayko is a fast skater... and at 225-230lbs....I don't see Parayko adding weight. His edgework and first few steps can use some work but that is 100% fixable. Remember this is his first offseason in Stl and working with the Blues. He can easily take a step forward.

As for Berglund...dude has some toothpicks for legs...idk Wtf his problem is

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Um...Parayko is a fast skater... and at 225-230lbs....I don't see Parayko adding weight. His edgework and first few steps can use some work but that is 100% fixable. Remember this is his first offseason in Stl and working with the Blues. He can easily take a step forward.

As for Berglund...dude has some toothpicks for legs...idk Wtf his problem is

I've had a chance to watch twice as many games now:)laugh:) and yeah...I have to agree. Parayko is in actuality a strong skater. I didn't see his wheels in action much in the first few games. It was more short bursts and while he has a decent first few steps, it's nothing that stands out like JayBo. However, I have seen him show off his speed the last few games and it really is fun to watch.

The kid is an impressive all-around defenseman. We're lucky to have him. Hopefully he develops into the player we all dream he can be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad