(Video) First NHL Goal: Parayko nets two goals, including the game-winner, in Blues w

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
colton_parayko_st_louis_101315.jpg
Photo: St. Louis Blues rookie defenseman Colton Parayko eludes Calgary Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau in a game in which Parayko scored his first two NHL goals (courtesy of Gerry Thomas/NHLI via Getty Images)

</p>St. Louis Blues rookie defenseman Colton Parayko put two shots on net in his team’s 4-3 win over the Calgary Flames, and both connected for goals including Parayko’s first NHL goal. Parayko’s second was also the game-winning goal, making it a night to remember for the Alberta native.

With the score tied at two early in the second period and the Blues on the power play, St.… read more

The post (Video) First NHL Goal: Parayko nets two goals, including the game-winner, in Blues win appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Not sure I'd take anybody from rd 1 over him

That's a Lil silly...your saying 1st overall?

Payarko's ceiling keeps getting higher, but that's silly to say.

Given what we know and assuming he doesn't hit a huge wall.....top 10?

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
Look at the 2012 draft again...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

There is a chance that Parayko could become one of the best players from that entire draft class. In a redraft, how high could he go?

right now he would probably go around 20 i would think. by the end of the year he could be seen as top 10 player from that class.

but Galay, reilly, lidholm, troumba, forsberg, hertl valaski are all ahead of pretty easily.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It may have been no exaggeration when the Blues labeled the 2012 class "the Parayko draft". I think he'd easily be top-15 right now, with a real shot of being a top-5 player within the next 3 years.

That's crazy.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
My 2012 redraft based largely on results...this is extremely difficult since I've only seen a handful of games of some of these guys:

1: Filip Forsberg
2: Jacob Trouba
3: Hampus Lindholm
4: Alex Galchenyuk
5: Ryan Murray
6: Morgan Reilly
7: Frederik Andersen
8: Olli Maatta
9: Zemgus Girgensons
10: Nail Yakupov
11: Andrei Vasilevskiy
12: Teuvo Teravainen
13: Tomas Hertl
14: Cody Ceci
15: Matthew Dumba(edit: /Colton Parayko, see below)

Might have Hertl too low but Yakupov, Vasilevskiy, and Teravainen have better potential and are only around 21.

Parayko is definitely in the 1st round and, like someone said, probably around 20. Parayko could easily be top 10 by the end of the season if he keeps improving.

Edit: Really Parayko could easily take the 15th spot from Dumba. Dumba is progressing fine but Parayko has bigger potential. Just based off potential, I guess I should put Parayko around 13/14. I tried to make this a little more about results and potential than just potential, though. It wasn't easy

Last edited:

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
My 2012 redraft based largely on results...this is extremely difficult since I've only seen a handful of games of some of these guys:

Might have Hertl too low but Yakupov, Vasilevskiy, and Teravainen have better potential and are only around 21.

Parayko is definitely in the 1st round and, like someone said, probably around 20. Parayko could easily be top 10 by the end of the season if he keeps improving.

Edit: Really Parayko could easily take the 15th spot from Dumba. Dumba is progressing fine but Parayko has bigger potential. Just based off potential, I guess I should put Parayko around 13/14. I tried to make this a little more about results and potential than just potential, though. It wasn't easy

I'm not even sure this kid is going to have a career anymore by the way he gets injured.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Yakupov is still too high there. And no way I'd take Dumba before Parayko, although Dumba is a nice player. I truly think the hype around Parayko has been lagging behind reality. He's a special player and in 2-3 years will be acknowledged league-wide as the steal of that draft.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dumba has been very impressive....I'd had a hard time taking Parayko before him based on body of work.... and I really hate Dumba....just looking at him pisses me off. I have a very irrational hatred for him

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Dumba has been very impressive....I'd had a hard time taking Parayko before him based on body of work.... and I really hate Dumba....just looking at him pisses me off. I have a very irrational hatred for him

Seriously, with a chance to trade Parayko today for Dumba...you can tell me you would? I would not.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Seriously, with a chance to trade Parayko today for Dumba...you can tell me you would? I would not.

No because I hate him lol.... I'm just going off of body of work. Parayko has the upside do to his size. Overall production though...would Parayko be ahead?

I'm really at a lose when it comes to Parayko...I try to stem the shiney new toy syndrome....and as and Blues fan...it's hard to have something to get very excited for.

I even tempered my expectations for Tarasenko this season...but he's having none of that.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Yakupov is still too high there. And no way I'd take Dumba before Parayko, although Dumba is a nice player. I truly think the hype around Parayko has been lagging behind reality. He's a special player and in 2-3 years will be acknowledged league-wide as the steal of that draft.

Yakupov is only 21 and still has a boat load of talent. I'd take the risk around 10. Put Yak in a situation that isn't freakin' Edmonton and he might turn into a very good player. Think Arizona trading Kyle Turris at age 22 and Turris becoming a top 6 center.

As I said, though, I tried to make the redraft about results and potential and not just potential like a real draft. Sort of like it's a real draft based on future mixed with a power ranking of how well they're doing.

Dumba vs. Parayko is tough. Parayko may have more potential and now that he is looking solid in the NHL, I probably would take Parayko...which is why I quickly edited my post. But that decision was also made because our specific roster desperately needs Parayko. I have Lindholm over Galchenyuk but I'd probably take Galchenyuk because we could really use a potential #1 center rather than another d-man.

Dumba was indeed a nice NHL player at age 20 last year. Parayko might have more potential but he has just 3 NHL games under his belt. I'll give Dumba some credit for a fast learning curve to go with his good potential.

If Parayko keeps doing what he has been doing, he'll rocket up the list. I would just like to see a little more first.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I would have him ahead of Ceci and Dumba easily. None of them affect the game the way Parayko does, and he has only played 3 games. The game he had in Minnesota is better than any game Ceci or Dumba have had in their entire career.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Yakupov is only 21 and still has a boat load of talent. I'd take the risk around 10. Put Yak in a situation that isn't freakin' Edmonton and he might turn into a very good player. Think Arizona trading Kyle Turris at age 22 and Turris becoming a top 6 center.

As I said, though, I tried to make the redraft about results and potential and not just potential like a real draft. Sort of like it's a real draft based on future mixed with a power ranking of how well they're doing.

Dumba vs. Parayko is tough. Parayko may have more potential and now that he is looking solid in the NHL, I probably would take Parayko...which is why I quickly edited my post. But that decision was also made because our specific roster desperately needs Parayko. I have Lindholm over Galchenyuk but I'd probably take Galchenyuk because we could really use a potential #1 center rather than another d-man.

Dumba was indeed a nice NHL player at age 20 last year. Parayko might have more potential but he has just 3 NHL games under his belt. I'll give Dumba some credit for a fast learning curve to go with his good potential.

If Parayko keeps doing what he has been doing, he'll rocket up the list. I would just like to see a little more first.

If you were the GM and your job was on the line....you'd gamble on Yakupov? I would not, not at #10 or anywhere on your list.

Parayko's combination of skating, hockey sense and booming shot put him ahead of Dumba. If you ignore draft pedigree and look at Player A and Player B, and which of those two you want on your team two years from now:
Parayko will win, and Yakupov will not be on that list. Dumba is a fine player, I'm not down on him. But he isn't unique and there are plenty of defensemen that can bring what he brings. Parayko has physical tools that you can't teach.

Get ready for the Trade Forum to start filling up with "I'll trade you my aging garbage for your unproven prospect Parayko" threads as this year goes along. But it appears the Blues have struck gold here.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yakupov is an unguided rocket....it can do some damage if it actually hits something but it doesn't have a brain box. I would want nothing to do with him. The IQ isn't there.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
If you were the GM and your job was on the line....you'd gamble on Yakupov? I would not, not at #10 or anywhere on your list.

Parayko's combination of skating, hockey sense and booming shot put him ahead of Dumba. If you ignore draft pedigree and look at Player A and Player B, and which of those two you want on your team two years from now:
Parayko will win, and Yakupov will not be on that list. Dumba is a fine player, I'm not down on him. But he isn't unique and there are plenty of defensemen that can bring what he brings. Parayko has physical tools that you can't teach.

Rewind to 2011 and a thread about a 2007 re-draft. Here's a quote from that thread:

"If you were the GM and your job was on the line....you'd gamble on Turris? I would not, not at #10 or anywhere on your list."

You're taking Parayko because of potential. I'm also taking Yakupov because of potential. He is in a horrendous situation and clearly needs a change of scenery just like Turris. He still has a boat load of talent. He just needs to get out of Edmonton. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I'd still take the gamble just like Ottawa did with Turris.

And I'm not really disagreeing with you about Parayko. Notice how I said he could contend for the 13-15 spots. I just need to see more than 3 games. It should say enough that I put him in that 13-15 range just based off 3 games.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Not very much. A good warning to Blues fans going crazy over 3 games from Parayko.

True, but Hertel had a major knee injury didn't he? I've always felt that guys lose at least a little something after an injury to that area. Who knows what would have been if he had healthy knees.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
True, but Hertel had a major knee injury didn't he? I've always felt that guys lose at least a little something after an injury to that area. Who knows what would have been if he had healthy knees.

Good point.

Well Patrik Berglund should be a good warning then. Man did everyone think he was headed for several 60+ point seasons after his 47 point rookie year. I won't even mention the name Mats Sundin. That was just a small group of crazies making that comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad