[VIDEO] Cody Glass: A Comprehensive Scouting Package [All Shifts From 6 WHL Matches]

JA

*This was originally posted in Part VIII of the "2017 NHL Draft" thread. However, due to the sheer amount of discussion taking place in that thread about a vast number of different topics, as well as the rapid thread turnover rate, I realized that many readers will likely not see the post in that thread. I have decided to offer a standalone thread instead.

With the 2017 NHL Draft only weeks away from taking place, the attention given to many of this year's top draft-eligible players has reached an all-time high. Several players featured at the top of the draft class have already received some degree of nationwide exposure through numerous television broadcasts of their games. Aside from a brief appearance at the 2017 U18 World Championships in Slovakia, Glass has been given less airtime than some of the others. Consequently, I felt that it would be worthwhile to develop a scouting package focused on Glass so that people could have an extended opportunity to analyze his game and formulate their own opinions.

Glass has risen on many draft lists throughout the 2016-17 season. After scoring only 27 points in 2015-16, Glass broke out with 32 goals, 62 assists, 94 points in 69 games with the Portland Winterhawks in 2016-17 on a line with teammates Skyler McKenzie and Keegan Iverson.

Cody Glass is a playmaker first and foremost above all else. Standing at 6'2'', 178 lbs and hailing from a family of tall gentlemen, many believe that he may not be finished growing; he would also benefit from becoming heavier, as currently he tends to be pushed off of the puck too easily. He uses his edges fairly well and is a patient player. When he has the puck, he knows exactly who he can pass the puck to, and possesses the vision to identify open teammates and execute skilled passes. His acceleration is average and his first two steps don't get him very far, although he can gain adequate speed to race for a loose puck.

His ability to anticipate is terrific. He gauges where to be to put pressure on the opposition and strip the puck away or beat them to it. In the offensive zone, he tends to move around looking to make himself available and to support the puck along the boards, although his favorite spot to be when his team is set up is in the slot as a shooter and at the goal line. Any time he has the puck, he considers his options and demonstrates poise with the puck. He has a good shot. If there is one complaint to be made about his game, it's that he lacks physicality and isn't aggressive in the physical sense; on the forecheck, he relies on smart, active positioning and posturing to beat opponents to the puck, and he has a long enough reach to pull it away from them and move it while under pressure.

One might also conclude that his puck skills are a little bit lacking compared to Gabriel Vilardi and Casey Mittelstadt. He is not as shifty individually as those two; he is more of a simple passer and shooter than a dangler. One would not be wrong to characterize his game as "vanilla."

Not everyone has had the opportunity to watch this player, nor other draft-eligible players. Therefore, I have developed a comprehensive scouting package based on Glass' 2016-17 season: all shifts from six games played between January and March 2017. Nobody is expected to watch all of it, although you are welcome to watch as much footage as you like. I have simply prepared the footage for those who are curious enough to examine the player's game, and I have offered a large enough sample size to give people an accurate depiction of the way he plays. The presentation is divided into six segments -- one segment for each match. You may watch all of it, or just some of it.

The games featured here (and their corresponding start times in the video) are:

(0:15) January 13, 2017: Portland Winterhawks vs Spokane Chiefs
(23:52) January 17, 2017: Portland Winterhawks @ Prince George Cougars
(46:56) February 11, 2017: Portland Winterhawks @ Seattle Thunderbirds
(1:10:02) February 17, 2017: Portland Winterhawks vs Red Deer Rebels
(1:34:22) March 1, 2017: Portland Winterhawks @ Vancouver Giants
(1:55:52) March 3, 2017: Portland Winterhawks vs Vancouver Giants

Featured here are games of all varieties, from multi-point games to those in which this player did not record any points. Three away games, and three home games were chosen for this package. The opponents range from the Vancouver Giants, who were the 21st-ranked team to the Seattle Thunderbirds, who were the 2017 Western Hockey League Champions and the 4th-placed team during the 2016-17 WHL regular season. The Prince George Cougars were the 5th-placed team in the league, while the Red Deer Rebels and Spokane Chiefs were the 12th-placed and 17th-placed team in the league, respectively. The Thunderbirds, Cougars, and Rebels qualified for the WHL playoffs. The team that Glass played for this season, the Portland Winterhawks, were the 13th-placed team in the WHL. What matters most of all is the way in which Glass plays in these games from shift to shift. Some of these performances are stronger than others -- I would say that patience pays off for viewers here. The games are featured chronologically in the video.

Hopefully, this offers viewers an informative look at one of the top eligible players for the 2017 NHL Draft, Cody Glass.

As always, comments and discussion are appreciated and encouraged. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Thanks JA.

I actually would have voted neutral because I have been pretty high on glass.

That game against Price George against PG looks real empty. Did they get snowed in?

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Really appreciate the effort that's gone into this.

I look forward to having a look as Glass is kinda my guy atm. Hopefully he'll still be after the videos.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I was less impressed with Vilardi's after watching his video that JA made for both.

Vilardi is even slower than I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad